    I want to save work to my CD rom drive.

    What CD rom do I require.

    Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

    carol, Feb 22, 2006

  2. carol

    old jon Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    news:N70Lf.44441$...
    >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
    >
    > What CD rom do I require.
    >
    > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

    Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
    It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
    device you would need to write CDs.
    Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
    You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 22, 2006

  3. carol

    carol Guest

    I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
    I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
    same as you record music on do,

    carol, Feb 22, 2006
  4. carol

    Donald Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
    >
    > What CD rom do I require.
    >
    > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

    Yes. don't use a DVD due to the fact that you may need to read the disk on
    another pc that doesn't read DVD disk

    Donald, Feb 22, 2006
  5. carol

    old jon Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
    > I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd
    > the
    > same as you record music on do,
    >
    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "carol" <> wrote in message
    >> >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
    >> >
    >> > What CD rom do I require.
    >> >
    >> > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.
    >> >

    >> Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
    >> It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
    >> device you would need to write CDs.
    >> Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
    >> You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
    >> --
    >> bw..OJ

    sorry Carol I misunderstood you.
    Audio CD blanks are normally more expensive than the ones
    that most people use.
    You have 2 options standard good quality CD, or CD-RW.
    It depends what software you have tho`.
    Some use the Windows software, but I use proprietry software.
    With CD-RW you have to preformat the disc, and use it like a
    big floppy disc. ie. with Roxio or Nero software.They are erasible
    and can be used again, if\when you want to update the contents.
    CDs you write to them once and that`s it.

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 22, 2006
  6. carol

    Mitch Guest

    In article <vk0Lf.33238$>, carol
    <> wrote:

    > I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
    > I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
    > same as you record music on do,

    Yes, if that's all you need to record.
    You'll see a note on the CD blank specifying both the amount of audio
    TIME it would store, and the amount of DATA in megabytes.

    Mitch, Feb 22, 2006
  7. carol

    Cub Guest

    "carol" <> wrote in message
    >I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
    >
    > What CD rom do I require.
    >
    > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

    If you have a USB port, get a pen drive.. they are a lot quicker

    Regards

    Cub, Feb 22, 2006
  8. carol

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:sY0Lf.43014$,
    old jon spewed forth:
    > "carol" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
    >> I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80
    >> cd the
    >> same as you record music on do,
    >>
    >> "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "carol" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Carol. Treat yourself to a DVD-RW it does everything.
    >>> It`s as good value as buying a CD-RW, which is the minimum
    >>> device you would need to write CDs.
    >>> Yes the DVD drive will do CDs as well as DVDs.
    >>> You can get hold of Freeware software to do the writing.
    >>> --
    >>> bw..OJ
    >>>

    > sorry Carol I misunderstood you.
    > Audio CD blanks are normally more expensive than the ones
    > that most people use.
    > You have 2 options standard good quality CD, or CD-RW.
    > It depends what software you have tho`.
    > Some use the Windows software, but I use proprietry software.
    > With CD-RW you have to preformat the disc, and use it like a
    > big floppy disc. ie. with Roxio or Nero software.They are erasible
    > and can be used again, if\when you want to update the contents.
    > CDs you write to them once and that`s it.

    Specifically, for the ability to use a CD or DVD in the same was as a floppy
    disk, she needs UDF packet writing software. Roxio, Sonic, Nero, NTI, all
    the major CD burner software companies do the UDF software. UDF software may
    also be available as freeware.

    I've done this in the past, and found it to be unreliable at times. I'd
    strongly suggest saving the file to two different places - a hard drive copy
    and the CD, or a pen drive and a CD, etc. to be sure no data gets lost with
    a bad burn. Or not using the UDF software, but saving to hard drive and
    burning to CD in the more traditional manner.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 23, 2006
  9. carol

    Plato Guest

    carol wrote:

    > I want to save work to my CD rom drive.
    > What CD rom do I require.
    > Do I use a rewriteable 80 minute CDrom.

    I believe the write once CDs are better for long term storage of data as
    oppossed to the rewritables.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 23, 2006
  10. carol

    Ron Martell Guest

    "carol" <> wrote:

    >I have a laptop with a build in DVD writer and player.
    >I need to save work to a CD rom, what CD rom do require, will an 80 cd the
    >same as you record music on do,

    Yes,

    Just use the "create a data CD" or equivalent option in your CD/DVD
    burning software.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --