Saving something from the cache

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by tedwilson@usa.com, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    A while back someone posted a method to save something from the cache.
    I copied the message to a text file and tried it. It does work, but
    the process is way too complicated, and takes a half hour just to save
    one thing. Occasionally I like to save flash videos. If I use IE, I
    can go to the cache and just look for a file named (something).SWF or
    (something).FLV. Firefox has a terrible habit of giving useless names
    to all files, and none contain the extension. That pretty much
    renders the cache useless to save from.

    Anyhow, I thought I'd ask if there is any sort of addon that allows
    saving from the cache without all the hassles? Right now, I find it
    easier to copy the URL to IE and save it from the IE cache. I'd
    rather not use IE, but see no other choice. That other process is
    just far too complicated.

    One other thing. I just installed Opera for the first time since I
    abandoned it about 5 years ago. I will have to admit that Opera is
    greatly improved since the last time I used it. Yet, given the
    choice, I still prefer Firefox over both Opera and IE. With one
    exception. Opera has a feature to "Fit the Width" on web pages. I
    really wish Firefox had that. I dont have the best eyesight, so my
    highest resolution I use on my monitor is 800x600. The problem is
    that many websites are larger these days, and if anything drives me
    bonkers, it's having to scroll the page from left to right to read the
    text. Is there any sort of addon for Firefox to do this same thing?

    Thanks

    Ted Wilson
    , Dec 9, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > A while back someone posted a method to save something from the cache.
    > I copied the message to a text file and tried it. It does work, but
    > the process is way too complicated, and takes a half hour just to save
    > one thing. Occasionally I like to save flash videos. If I use IE, I
    > can go to the cache and just look for a file named (something).SWF or
    > (something).FLV. Firefox has a terrible habit of giving useless names
    > to all files, and none contain the extension. That pretty much
    > renders the cache useless to save from.
    >
    > Anyhow, I thought I'd ask if there is any sort of addon that allows
    > saving from the cache without all the hassles? Right now, I find it
    > easier to copy the URL to IE and save it from the IE cache. I'd
    > rather not use IE, but see no other choice. That other process is
    > just far too complicated.

    try the CacheViewer:

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 9, 2007