    I am no longer asked that and the RAW file is saved with the changes that I
    made. Is there any way to NOT save the changes to the RAW file, other than
    making a copy before I start and only change the copy?

    Don Dunlap, Feb 9, 2006

  2. No changes are applied to a RAW file....its the "negative" and you can go
    back to it again and again and start fresh. However...the adjustments you
    used are saved and if you don't change anything the same settings will be
    used again. You don't have to save them....its automatic.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Don Dunlap

    bmoag Guest

    I do not understand why you do what you do.
    Unless you have a specific need to save a jpeg image why would you save your
    finished work that way? This kind of defeats the purpose of working with raw
    images to begin with.
    If you understand how to use CS with non-destructive layers it would seem
    wiser to save in the Photoshop psd format with all layers intact and,
    presumably, labelled as to what you have done in that layer.

    bmoag, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Don Dunlap

    Tesco News Guest

    "Don Dunlap" <> wrote in message
    >I am using Photoshop CS and when I make changes to a RAW file and click OK,
    >I usually 'Save As" a JPG with a specific name to indicate changes. When I
    >would then close the file, I thought that I used to be asked if I wanted to
    >save the changes I made to the RAW file and I would select NO.
    >
    > I am no longer asked that and the RAW file is saved with the changes that
    > I made. Is there any way to NOT save the changes to the RAW file, other
    > than making a copy before I start and only change the copy?

    Hi.

    After you convert from Raw, and save the new file, your Raw will look like
    the "converted" version, because the settings for the conversion will have
    been saved in a XMP file somewhere on your system. BUT the original RAW
    has not actually been changed, it is still as it was.

    You can check this if you have a folder with a large number of Raws which
    have been converted. Open that Folder in the Browser and you will be able
    to see the Thumbnails changing one by one from the "Unconverted" versions to
    take on the appearance of the "Converted" versions, as the system applies
    the XMP data to them.

    You can still "Convert" any of your original RAW files to give a different
    result from the original "Conversion", it is just that when you open it in
    the Converter Window the sliders will be in the positions they were, when
    you saved the first Conversion.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Don Dunlap

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Don Dunlap <> wrote:
    >I am using Photoshop CS and when I make changes to a RAW file and click OK,
    >I usually 'Save As" a JPG with a specific name to indicate changes. When I
    >would then close the file, I thought that I used to be asked if I wanted to
    >save the changes I made to the RAW file and I would select NO.
    >
    >I am no longer asked that and the RAW file is saved with the changes that I
    >made. Is there any way to NOT save the changes to the RAW file, other than
    >making a copy before I start and only change the copy?

    You cannot save changes to a RAW file. Never could. What Photoshop
    does is save a file with the same name as the RAW file but with an .xmp
    suffix that remembers the settings you used for the RAW conversion.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Don Dunlap wrote:
    > I am using Photoshop CS and when I make changes to a RAW file and click OK,
    > I usually 'Save As" a JPG with a specific name to indicate changes. When I
    > would then close the file, I thought that I used to be asked if I wanted to
    > save the changes I made to the RAW file and I would select NO.
    >
    > I am no longer asked that and the RAW file is saved with the changes that I
    > made. Is there any way to NOT save the changes to the RAW file, other than
    > making a copy before I start and only change the copy?

    To clarify some of the other responses. ACR 2.x, under Photoshop CS,
    never changes the raw file.

    ACR 3.x, under CS2, will change DNG raw files with the settings. But
    not other types of raw file.

    (Typically, raw converters don't change raw files other than those
    where the raw converter supplier knows the raw format. So Nikon
    software may change NEFs, because they understand their own format.
    Adobe software, and some others, changes DNG files, because that format
    is published).

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Feb 10, 2006
  7. Don Dunlap

    Don Dunlap Guest

    "Barry Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > Don Dunlap wrote:
    >> I am using Photoshop CS and when I make changes to a RAW file and click
    >> OK,
    >> I usually 'Save As" a JPG with a specific name to indicate changes. When
    >> would then close the file, I thought that I used to be asked if I wanted
    >> save the changes I made to the RAW file and I would select NO.
    >>
    >> I am no longer asked that and the RAW file is saved with the changes that
    >> made. Is there any way to NOT save the changes to the RAW file, other
    >> than
    >> making a copy before I start and only change the copy?

    > To clarify some of the other responses. ACR 2.x, under Photoshop CS,
    > never changes the raw file.
    >
    > ACR 3.x, under CS2, will change DNG raw files with the settings. But
    > not other types of raw file.
    >
    > (Typically, raw converters don't change raw files other than those
    > where the raw converter supplier knows the raw format. So Nikon
    > software may change NEFs, because they understand their own format.
    > Adobe software, and some others, changes DNG files, because that format
    > is published).
    >
    > --
    > Barry Pearson
    > http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
    > http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

    Thanks for the explanation. I believe that I understand it now. I was
    looking at the thumbnails that PS makes and they showed the changes, so I
    assumed that the file was changed.

    Don

    Don Dunlap, Feb 14, 2006