    user name followed by brackets < >. All help appreciated. Tried the
    news.ind.net website, but Mozilla is not mentioned, only Netscape.
    Thanks.

    Lambo, Dec 5, 2003

  2. *** Lambo <> escribió/wrote (05 dic 2003):
    > Having trouble saving password for news.individual.net newsreader in
    > password manager (Moz 1.5, Win 98SE) Works OK with other newsreaders,
    > but I'm new to Mozilla so could be missing something.

    I don't think you are missing anything. Unluckily, Mozilla is not very good
    dealing with news servers that require authentication. After getting
    prompted for passwords at least twice a session I dediced to quit. Web
    browser is fabulous but newsreader still needs some more work.

    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain - ICQ 46788716
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor para mayores de 100 años)

    Alvaro G. Vicario, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Lambo

    dantu Guest

    Lambo wrote:

    > Hi
    > Having trouble saving password for news.individual.net newsreader in
    > password manager (Moz 1.5, Win 98SE) Works OK with other newsreaders,
    > but I'm new to Mozilla so could be missing something. All I get is my
    > user name followed by brackets < >. All help appreciated. Tried the
    > news.ind.net website, but Mozilla is not mentioned, only Netscape.
    > Thanks.

    Lambo

    I'm not sure of what you mean. When do you get your user
    name followed by brackets?

    The simplest way to save the password is to wait until its required.
    When the server asks for your user name, enter it and check the Remember
    box. When it asks for the password, enter it and again check the
    remember box.

    Most news servers dont require passwords, tho there are some that do. If
    yours doesnt ask for one, it isnt needed. If it does, just follow the
    above steps and your password will be remembered.

    dantu, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:

    > *** Lambo <> escribió/wrote (05 dic 2003):
    >
    >>Having trouble saving password for news.individual.net newsreader in
    >>password manager (Moz 1.5, Win 98SE) Works OK with other newsreaders,
    >>but I'm new to Mozilla so could be missing something.

    > I don't think you are missing anything. Unluckily, Mozilla is not very good
    > dealing with news servers that require authentication. After getting
    > prompted for passwords at least twice a session I dediced to quit. Web
    > browser is fabulous but newsreader still needs some more work.

    I would agree with that, the news component has had lower priority in
    developement, and for good reason, its far less used then browser or mail.

    I can share my experience. With a news server that does require
    passwords, I was prompted for username and password constantly.
    Prompted by Dan's excellent advice, (thanks Dan!) I just kept entering
    and saving, and entering and saving, until Password Manager had a
    setting for all the access points. Then Moz stopped asking. Now I only
    get asked a couple of times whenever I add a new group.

    Is it a pain? Yeah, but it does go away, and pretty quickly. How
    quickly depends on how many groups you subscribe to, and how often you
    access them.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Lambo

    Lambo Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Alvaro G. Vicario wrote:
    >
    >> *** Lambo <> escribió/wrote (05 dic 2003):
    >>
    >>> Having trouble saving password for news.individual.net newsreader in
    >>> password manager (Moz 1.5, Win 98SE) Works OK with other newsreaders,
    >>> but I'm new to Mozilla so could be missing something.

    >> I don't think you are missing anything. Unluckily, Mozilla is not very
    >> good dealing with news servers that require authentication. After
    >> getting prompted for passwords at least twice a session I dediced to
    >> quit. Web browser is fabulous but newsreader still needs some more work.
    >>

    > I would agree with that, the news component has had lower priority in
    > developement, and for good reason, its far less used then browser or mail.
    >
    > I can share my experience. With a news server that does require
    > passwords, I was prompted for username and password constantly. Prompted
    > by Dan's excellent advice, (thanks Dan!) I just kept entering and
    > saving, and entering and saving, until Password Manager had a setting
    > for all the access points. Then Moz stopped asking. Now I only get
    > asked a couple of times whenever I add a new group.
    >
    > Is it a pain? Yeah, but it does go away, and pretty quickly. How
    > quickly depends on how many groups you subscribe to, and how often you
    > access them.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for replies. I'll just keep entering passwords and see what
    happens. Pity about the glitch in the set-up as otherwise it is nicer to
    use compared to Microsoft.

    Lambo, Dec 8, 2003