  1. Is there a way to save my passwords and bookmarks to removeable media
    for when I have to reformat and reinstall XP?
    Michael

    Michael Sullivan, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Michael Sullivan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Michael Sullivan wrote:

    > Is there a way to save my passwords and bookmarks to removeable media
    > for when I have to reformat and reinstall XP?
    > Michael

    Sure

    Your passwords are stored in a file named "xxxxxxx.s" and your bookmarks are stored there as well as "bookmarks.html"

    All your 'data' such as the above (plus mail, news, preferences, address books, etc) are stored in the Profile folder. Back up the entire Profile Folder and you cant go far wrong, as you will then have a copy of all your data.

    Specific location of the Profile Folder varies with the program (Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird) and the OS in use. The release notes for your specific version will have the current location.

    Ah, yes, while bookmarks can be copied directly to new profiles (on a new machine/installation) simply be drag and drop, the procedure for passwords isnt quite as simple. You have to do a little more to re-use the old passwords (ask if you want to know)

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Michael Sullivan

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 7/10/2004 02:13 PM, Moz Champion wrote:

    > Michael Sullivan wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to save my passwords and bookmarks to removeable media
    >> for when I have to reformat and reinstall XP?
    >> Michael

    > Sure
    >
    > Your passwords are stored in a file named "xxxxxxx.s" and your bookmarks
    > are stored there as well as "bookmarks.html"
    >
    > All your 'data' such as the above (plus mail, news, preferences, address
    > books, etc) are stored in the Profile folder. Back up the entire
    > Profile Folder and you cant go far wrong, as you will then have a copy
    > of all your data.
    >
    > Specific location of the Profile Folder varies with the program
    > (Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird) and the OS in use. The release notes for
    > your specific version will have the current location.
    >
    > Ah, yes, while bookmarks can be copied directly to new profiles (on a
    > new machine/installation) simply be drag and drop, the procedure for
    > passwords isnt quite as simple. You have to do a little more to re-use
    > the old passwords (ask if you want to know)

    Additionally, you can use this little utility:
    [http://backup.jasnapaka.com/]

    --
    Brian

    .BRIAN., Jul 10, 2004