    Protect your rights
    http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing/20031001_tc.php
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Michael Pelletier, May 20, 2005

  2. Michael Pelletier

    Jbob Guest

    "Michael Pelletier" <> wrote in message
    news:cJtje.10631$gp.3433@fed1read03...
    >A lot of companies recently have begun making security policies of *NOT*
    > saving old emails. My last company did this as a way of preventing
    > information for potential lawsuits. If your company does this, you might
    > want to rethink the policy.
    >
    > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/20/217207&from=rss

    Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me. The premise is not about
    saving emails but being able to prove ones case, either way. Most of these
    stupid laws were/are passed to protect one side in a case anyway. Then we
    all have to suffer. What's next, the government is gonna tell you you have
    to keep all the mail the comes in your postal mail box too? Record all
    phone conversations? All just in case!! lol
    Jbob, May 21, 2005

  3. Michael Pelletier

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:01:31 -0500, "Jbob" <> wrote:

    >Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me

    In which case you don't understand the issues. In recent trials
    evidence has been introduced consiting of emails. Generally
    people perceive email as a transient media like a telephone
    call that is not being recorded for posterity.

    This is not the case. My clients are split between those who
    want everything carefully backed up, and those who want old
    emails securely shredded. Both are valid points of view.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, May 21, 2005
  4. Jbob wrote:

    > "Michael Pelletier" <> wrote in message
    >>A lot of companies recently have begun making security policies of *NOT*
    >> saving old emails. My last company did this as a way of preventing
    >> information for potential lawsuits. If your company does this, you might
    >> want to rethink the policy.
    >>
    >> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/20/217207&from=rss
    >>

    > Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me. The premise is not about
    > saving emails but being able to prove ones case, either way. Most of
    > these
    > stupid laws were/are passed to protect one side in a case anyway. Then we
    > all have to suffer. What's next, the government is gonna tell you you
    > have
    > to keep all the mail the comes in your postal mail box too? Record all
    > phone conversations? All just in case!! lol

    Honestly, here is my take. I worked for a little while at an health care
    company. I will not name it. They were consistently being sued as they
    broke many laws. The lawyers, who actually ran the place, made an in-house
    policy to delete any and all emails that were more than 30 days old. They
    only did this to prevent information, and hence proof, in any pending law
    suit. That is the only reason they did it.

    I personally, after working for this company and seeing the shadier side of
    business, I agree with the ruling. After all, if you are not doing anything
    wrong, why do you need to worry about saving emails?

    Michael
    --
    "Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

    Michael Pelletier, May 21, 2005
  5. Michael Pelletier

    Nog Guest

    Old emails just become so much clutter. Once an email has conveyed it's
    message it is no longer needed. We don't save every word we say, why save
    every word written? It's just junk when it is no longer useful.

    Nog, May 21, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "Nog" <> wrote:

    >Old emails just become so much clutter. Once an email has conveyed it's
    >message it is no longer needed. We don't save every word we say, why save
    >every word written? It's just junk when it is no longer useful.

    Well, I've got about 600MB of such "clutter" going back close to 20
    years. I frequently find it useful, like when a friend asked me if I'd
    saved a program he'd e-mailed to me, because he'd lost his only copy!

    As for not saving every word we say--that could change. Some people
    might find it useful to have a personal recorder running all the time,
    recording everything they hear and see throughout their lives.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005