Saving jpg files where I want them?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.

    When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    Thanks friends.
    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 06, 2006 is 2,592. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
    Today, August 9, 2006 it has been 1196 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." Why do some people still believe what he says?
    GrandpaChuck, Aug 9, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    beenthere Guest

    "GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >
    > When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    > folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    > them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    > did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    > opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    > procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    > folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    Try `Save As`, then you`ll get the option, of where you`d
    like to save them.
    beenthere, Aug 9, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:42:35 GMT, "beenthere" <>
    wrote:

    >"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >>I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>
    >> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    >> them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    >> did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    >> opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    >> procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    >> folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.
    >>

    >Try `Save As`, then you`ll get the option, of where you`d
    >like to save them.

    Sorry, but that is not an option.

    I left click on the picture, then right click on save, then a screen
    comes up the name of the file in one box and the file type (jpg) in
    another box. At the top of that screen is the file folder, etc. but
    none of the "File", "Edit", etc. across the top. I have to click up on
    the folder and then browse till I get to the folder where I want to
    save the picture..
    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 9, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    ian field Guest

    >I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >
    > When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    > folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    > them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    > did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    > opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    > procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    > folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.
    >
    > Thanks friends.
    > --
    > Grandpa Chuck
    > -ô¿ô-
    > ~
    >
    > The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed
    > forces and civilians who have died in the current war in Iraq. According
    > to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    > The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 06, 2006 is 2,592.
    > Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
    > Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the
    > so-called insurgents.
    > Today, August 9, 2006 it has been 1196 days since Bush declared,"Mission
    > Accomplished in Iraq." Why do some people still believe what he says?

    One option is to install dap8.exe from speedbit, you can specify the
    destination folder in the app's options menu and you can specify which file
    extensions to automatically commence download ie if you specify jpg then you
    just click on the link and away it goes. Also if you find a web page with a
    number of links on it - right click anywhere on the page then select
    "download all with DAP" it will list all the links that match your extension
    selections, just click "download now" and it will queue all the selected
    files for download - you can also select how many files to download
    simultaneously.
    ian field, Aug 9, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:52:44 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, but that is not an option.
    >
    >I left click on the picture, then right click on save, then a screen
    >comes up the name of the file in one box and the file type (jpg) in
    >another box. At the top of that screen is the file folder, etc. but
    >none of the "File", "Edit", etc. across the top. I have to click up on
    >the folder and then browse till I get to the folder where I want to
    >save the picture..

    So in front of the filename, type the directory, i.e.
    C:\porn\filename.jpg .
    Evan Platt, Aug 9, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >
    > When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    > folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    > them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    > did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    > opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    > procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    > folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    default directories to actions? Look around.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:00:43 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:52:44 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry, but that is not an option.
    >>
    >>I left click on the picture, then right click on save, then a screen
    >>comes up the name of the file in one box and the file type (jpg) in
    >>another box. At the top of that screen is the file folder, etc. but
    >>none of the "File", "Edit", etc. across the top. I have to click up on
    >>the folder and then browse till I get to the folder where I want to
    >>save the picture..

    >So in front of the filename, type the directory, i.e.
    >C:\porn\filename.jpg .

    Tried C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29

    It says, "C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    Path does not exist.
    Please verify the correct path was given."

    Now what do I need to do and is there any assurance when I save the
    next file it will open the same folder to save it in?

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 9, 2006
  8. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:19:47 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >Tried C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >
    >It says, "C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >Path does not exist.
    >Please verify the correct path was given."

    Is popeye29 the intended filename or directory? If you typed that in,
    Windows would assume it's the filename, so...

    Click on Start, Run, and type in C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\ <Enter> . Are
    you taken to that folder, or do you get a error?

    C:\MyDocuments isn't a standard directory, so unless you created it,
    you wouldn't have it.
    Evan Platt, Aug 9, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>
    >> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I
    >> want them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time
    >> when I did that then subsequent files would open that folder.
    >> Instead it opens the same on it did before and I have to go through
    >> the same procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My
    >> eBooks folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    > I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    > said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    > default directories to actions? Look around.

    Was that you sneaking around the neighborhood after dark last week?

    Toolman Tim, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Toolman Tim wrote:

    >> I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    >> said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    >> default directories to actions? Look around.

    > Was that you sneaking around the neighborhood after dark last week?

    Yes. The hardest part was keeping salt water flowing through my gills.
    Your 'hood is not exactly shark friendly. To whom do I talk about this?
    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:19:47 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tried C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >>
    >>It says, "C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >>Path does not exist.
    >>Please verify the correct path was given."

    > Is popeye29 the intended filename or directory? If you typed that in,
    > Windows would assume it's the filename, so...
    >
    > Click on Start, Run, and type in C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\ <Enter> . Are
    > you taken to that folder, or do you get a error?
    >
    > C:\MyDocuments isn't a standard directory, so unless you created it,
    > you wouldn't have it.

    You really are a worthless piece of shit, now aren't you?

    --
    You unwelcome descendant of industrial-strength weasel warts.
    GrandpaChuck, Aug 10, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    Frosty Guest

    On or about 9 Aug 2006 22:17:29 GMT, an entity identified as Blinky
    the Shark <> proudly proclaimed:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>
    >> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    >> them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    >> did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    >> opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    >> procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    >> folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    >I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    >said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    >default directories to actions? Look around.

    Agent uses whatever configs are set up in Winders.
    I think Grandpa is using the "wrong" photo viewer.

    Hey pops, try FastStone image viewer. Freeware:
    http://www.faststone.org then in Winders Explorer tell Winders to
    associate jpg's with that .exe & everything will be groovy.
    You can decide where to put stuff easily with FastStone.

    Frosty
    Frosty, Aug 10, 2006
  13. GrandpaChuck

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >>> I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but
    >>> that said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for
    >>> assigning default directories to actions? Look around.

    >> Was that you sneaking around the neighborhood after dark last week?

    > Yes. The hardest part was keeping salt water flowing through my
    > gills. Your 'hood is not exactly shark friendly. To whom do I talk
    > about this? :)

    Dunno - management here really sucks <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Was that you sneaking around the neighborhood after dark last week?

    >> Yes. The hardest part was keeping salt water flowing through my
    >> gills. Your 'hood is not exactly shark friendly. To whom do I talk
    >> about this? :)

    > Dunno - management here really sucks <g>

    I thought you *are* managem...er...hey, I get it. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2006
  15. GrandpaChuck

    John Holmes Guest

    Blinky the Shark "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Yes. The hardest part was keeping salt water flowing through my
    >>> gills. Your 'hood is not exactly shark friendly. To whom do I talk
    >>> about this? :)

    >> Dunno - management here really sucks <g>

    > I thought you *are* managem...er...hey, I get it. :)

    LOL

    --
    Your mother was a cranky punk who talked with the animals in a closely
    guarded military establishment.
    John Holmes, Aug 10, 2006
  16. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:38:38 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:19:47 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Tried C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >>
    >>It says, "C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\popeye29
    >>Path does not exist.
    >>Please verify the correct path was given."

    >Is popeye29 the intended filename or directory? If you typed that in,
    >Windows would assume it's the filename, so...

    It is the file name.

    >Click on Start, Run, and type in C:\MyDocuments\Popeye\ <Enter> . Are
    >you taken to that folder, or do you get a error?

    I get an error message.

    >C:\MyDocuments isn't a standard directory, so unless you created it,
    >you wouldn't have it.

    It is called My Documents on the desktop of every computer we have.
    I see when I right click on it and then properties I see C:\Documents
    and Settings\Owner\My Documents

    Is that what I have to enter?
    I thought there was a way to tell the computer where to save graphics
    files and that it was easy to change the default folder.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 10, 2006
  17. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On 9 Aug 2006 22:17:29 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>
    >> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    >> them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    >> did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    >> opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    >> procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    >> folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    >I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    >said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    >default directories to actions? Look around.

    I am not using the free version of Agent.
    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 10, 2006
  18. GrandpaChuck

    wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>
    >> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    >> them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    >> did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    >> opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    >> procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    >> folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    >I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    >said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    >default directories to actions? Look around.

    Oops!
    Actually in this case I am using Mozilla Thunderbird to view that
    particular newsgroup.

    I need to look around in there or as Frosty suggests look in Explorer
    for default saving locations.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Aug 10, 2006
  19. GrandpaChuck

    thanatoid Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:42:35 GMT, "beenthere"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >>>I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>>
    >>> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to
    >>> go to a folder where I don't want them. I have to find
    >>> the folder where I want them save and open that, then
    >>> save them. I thought at one time when I did that then
    >>> subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it opens
    >>> the same on it did before and I have to go through the
    >>> same procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens
    >>> is in My eBooks folder which doesn't even contain any jpg
    >>> files at all.
    >>>

    >>Try `Save As`, then you`ll get the option, of where you`d
    >>like to save them.
    >>

    > Sorry, but that is not an option.
    >
    > I left click on the picture, then right click on save, then
    > a screen comes up the name of the file in one box and the
    > file type (jpg) in another box. At the top of that screen
    > is the file folder, etc. but none of the "File", "Edit",
    > etc. across the top. I have to click up on the folder and
    > then browse till I get to the folder where I want to save
    > the picture..

    I read the 13 replies, and they all sucked IMO, so here's one
    more:

    The above procedure, so common in all Windows work, is a
    nightmare.

    I use XNews and the options contain a page where you not only
    can specify WHAT types of files to *automatically* save, but
    also where they should be saved. I have NEVER had a problem with
    this. If Agent doesn't have it you should dump it and go with
    Xnews.

    I have a c:\temp (NOT c:\windows\temp) directory and I have a
    DOS batch file (called moveall.bat) which grabs a variety of
    files (mostly txt, jpg, gif, png, htm, asp) from all the
    directories the internet programs put them (like, LOTS) and
    moves them to that c:\temp directory or subdirs thereof (I have
    several, like music, pix, links, pages) after an internet
    session.

    I am not aware of ANY application which will make ALL other
    applications on a computer put CERTAIN kinds of files in CERTAIN
    specific locations - but who knows, someone may have managed to
    write one.

    Nor am I aware of ANY download manager (accelerator is just a
    lie) which works with Usenet. Having just read the dap8 page, it
    does not seem to either.

    Hope this helps a little. If you want a copy of my "moveall.bat"
    file, I'll gladly post it for you.
    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2006
  20. GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > On 9 Aug 2006 22:17:29 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >>> I should know how to do this, I know, but I don't.
    >>>
    >>> When saving jpg files from newsgroups they always want to go to a
    >>> folder where I don't want them. I have to find the folder where I want
    >>> them save and open that, then save them. I thought at one time when I
    >>> did that then subsequent files would open that folder. Instead it
    >>> opens the same on it did before and I have to go through the same
    >>> procedure. The strange part is the folder it opens is in My eBooks
    >>> folder which doesn't even contain any jpg files at all.

    >>I wouldn't touch [Free]Agent with Toolman Tim's 10-foot pole, but that
    >>said, is there no setting in its configuration dialogs for assigning
    >>default directories to actions? Look around.

    > I am not using the free version of Agent.

    And I put "Free" in brackets to show that I meant either FreeAgent OR
    Agent. That is a common convention for showing unmandatory bits of
    something.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2006