    separately.

    Is this possible ? I've search the web but cannot find any help
    with this question.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Dec 26, 2010

  2. In message <>,
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
    > up my cap by downloading it four times.

    Doesn’t your package manager have support for this
    <http://packages.debian.org/sid/approx>?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 27, 2010

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in

    > I have four computers on a domestic network.

    Find yourself an old PC with perhaps a 40 gig HDD and 2 nics.

    > Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
    > up my cap by downloading it four times.

    Yes.

    > I'd like to download it once, and then distribute the file to
    > each of the other three computers and install it on each computer
    > separately.
    >
    > Is this possible ? I've search the web but cannot find any help
    > with this question.

    Better than that, using IPCop with Update Accellerator will cache the
    following:
    http://update-accelerator.advproxy.net/

    * Adobe
    * Apple
    * Avast
    * Linux (.deb and .rpm)
    * Microsoft
    * Symantec
    * Trend Micro

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 27, 2010
  4. TKs for both replies.

    It is true I didn't read one screen properly or I would have seen the
    option for manual downloads.

    I'll investigate IPCop and Updat Accelerator shortly.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Dec 27, 2010
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Enkidu Guest

    > In message<>,
    > Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way of saving a JRE update so that I don't have to use
    >> up my cap by downloading it four times.

    > Doesn’t your package manager have support for this
    > <http://packages.debian.org/sid/approx>?

    1) Install new Linux OS.

    2) Remove the crap Java package that comes with it, even if it is the
    Sun one.

    3) Download and install the Sun Java tarball.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Dec 28, 2010
  6. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    > TKs for both replies.
    >
    > It is true I didn't read one screen properly or I would have seen the
    > option for manual downloads.
    >
    > I'll investigate IPCop and Updat Accelerator shortly.

    I think the overall bandwidth savings will pay off for you. :) I have
    downloaded 5 gigs of Microsoft and shared out 8 Gigs of it. I have a
    couple of friends who are on Dial come over to do updates, and then there
    are 2 XP computers here.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 28, 2010