    example.

    Thanks,

    Dalziel

    Dalziel, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Dalziel

    patrick Guest

    Dalziel wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
    > published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and saving
    > it page by page!)
    >
    > For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
    > http://www.partition-saving.com/.
    > I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
    > example.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dalziel

    No copyright violation if (fair use doctrine):
    a. you don't share the original works for profit, with others!
    (personal use)
    b. you share portions for profit, with commentary or critique!
    c. you publish a parody
    d. you copy, as a student, to further your studies.
    e. the documents have entered the Public Domain (example: Disney
    brought many German fairy tales to America, then copyrighted Snow White,
    Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, and dozens of others. If you also go to the
    original sources, and then publish, you could be challenged in America,
    by Disney Corp.!)

    More, from http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html
    " * small excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of
    illustration or comment;
    * a parody which incorporates some elements (but not all) of the
    work being parodied;
    * quotations from a speech, address, or position paper in a news
    report; and
    * limited copying made by a student for academic work.

    In the context of computer technologies, the fair use doctrine is
    often used in the
    context of reverse engineering. Under trade secret principles, it is
    generally accepted
    to "reverse engineer" a product to determine how the product works.
    Reverse engineering
    may involve analyzing circuit board layouts, "peeling" back a integrated
    circuit chip,
    or decompiling computer software. However, it is impossible to decompile
    software and
    then analyze the results without making a copy (or a derivative work) of
    the software.

    Courts have sometimes held that the making of these copies in the
    context of reverse
    engineering is a fair use and is not copyright infringement."

    I am NOT an attorney. I am a GEEK, a NERD, and a GNU/Linux advocate.
    Visit http://sourceforge.net for YOUR free 88,216 games, and
    applications! GNU/Linux is FREE, at http://linuxiso.org
    http://distrowatch.com and http://frozentech.com

    patrick, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Dalziel

    Ingeborg Guest

    You could use httrack <http://www.httrack.com> to download the pages.

    Ingeborg, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Dalziel

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:16:44 +0100, Dalziel wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
    >published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and saving

    Yes.

    >it page by page!)
    >
    >For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
    >http://www.partition-saving.com/.
    >I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
    >example.

    WebZIP is one product for Windows, there are many similar.
    www.spidersoft.com/

    Freeware/Shareware sites to search
    www.simtel.net
    www.tucows.com

    Me

    why?, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    Dalziel, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Thanks very much for the info, including the bit about copyright.
    I shall give httrack a go.
    I appreciate your help and thanks again

    Regards

    Dalziel

    Dalziel, Oct 17, 2004
  7. Dalziel

    Andy Guest

    "Dalziel" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Thanks very much for the info, including the bit about copyright.
    > I shall give httrack a go.
    > I appreciate your help and thanks again
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Dalziel
    >

    > "Dalziel" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that
    >> is
    >> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and

    > saving
    >> it page by page!)
    >>
    >> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
    >> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
    >> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
    >> example.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dalziel

    I use Teleport Pro to download websites ( for my own off line use of
    course). I tried httrack, but I did not like it.

    Andy, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    Thanks Andy,

    I'm trying a trial copy at the moment. It looks good but I only seem to be
    Guess I had better read the flipping manual first!!
    It certainly looks easier than httrack.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Regards

    Dalziel

    Dalziel, Oct 19, 2004
  9. > I'm trying a trial copy at the moment. It looks good but I only seem to be
    > Guess I had better read the flipping manual first!!
    > It certainly looks easier than httrack.
    > Thanks for the tip.

    I would suggest you to try Offline Explorer Pro
    (www.metaproducts.com). It loads the site. To make the download
    easier, use another starting URL for the site:

    http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/

    Oleg Chernavin, Nov 9, 2004