    work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
    save some emails to disc!

    many thanks for any help/info

    mickeymuffin, Nov 20, 2007

  2. On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 05:12:06 -0800 (PST), mickeymuffin
    <> wrote:

    >hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
    >account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
    >work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
    >save some emails to disc!
    >
    >many thanks for any help/info

    Set your gmail account to forward your messages to wherever you want
    them.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com
    http://www.tropheus.demon.co.uk

    Steve Wolstenholme, Nov 20, 2007

  3. mickeymuffin

    mickeymuffin Guest

    At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
    are not allowed to use Outlook etc

    mickeymuffin, Nov 20, 2007
  4. mickeymuffin

    ded Guest

    "mickeymuffin" <> wrote in message
    > At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
    > are not allowed to use Outlook etc

    OK, so you don't have internet access at home, so you can't forward
    the gmails, but you have access to a burner at work?
    So paste the contents of the gmails into MS Word or Notepad, save
    as a word or notepad doc, burn to CD/DVD, then copy over to home PC.

    ded, Nov 20, 2007
  5. mickeymuffin

    Gordon Guest

    > At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
    > are not allowed to use Outlook etc

    So what DO you use for email at work?

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2007
  6. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    mickeymuffin wrote:
    > hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
    > account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
    > work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
    > save some emails to disc!

    > At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
    > are not allowed to use Outlook etc

    So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is at
    work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail from
    there.

    You want access to email content with or without headers you have
    received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

    It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to. This
    work computer has what drives you are authorized to use, floppy? USB
    ports? Are you authorized to copy information you have accessed on the
    work computer to take home?

    Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
    access? What kinds of drives does it have, floppy, USB ports? Do you
    have access to some other computer which is not work or home, such as
    library? What kinds of drive/ports does it have, floppy/USB?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007
  7. mickeymuffin

    TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:13k60sm1qmr5n48
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > mickeymuffin wrote:
    >> hello, is it possible to save some important emails from my gmail
    >> account to a blank disc? i dont have an email reader ie outlook in
    >> work so log into the gmail site to view my emails and would like to
    >> save some emails to disc!

    >> At the moment the only internet access that i have is at work and we
    >> are not allowed to use Outlook etc

    > So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is at
    > work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail from
    > there.

    That's how I read it, yes.

    > You want access to email content with or without headers you have
    > received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

    Headers have ****-all to do with anything here, and no. S/he's asking how
    to save gmails to a disk. Not how to access them once that task has been
    accomplished. Why do you always need to obfuscate things?

    > It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to.

    Which part isn't clear, Mike? The OP has access to the Internet at work
    but not elsewhere. When the OP goes to work s/he logs onto gmail and reads
    the messages. S/he's asking how to save said messages to disk. What else
    did you NEED to know?

    > This
    > work computer has what drives you are authorized to use, floppy? USB
    > ports? Are you authorized to copy information you have accessed on the
    > work computer to take home?

    OK. At least that part makes sense. I'm about to ask the OP the same sort
    of thing regarding a printer.

    > Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
    > access?

    That was covered by, "At the moment the only internet access that i have is
    at work."

    So it does not matter very much if the OP has access to another computer at
    home, or on the moon, Mike. If there's no Internet access, there's no way
    the OP can reply in a timely fashion to any "important emails", is there?

    <snip redundancy>

    To the OP:

    Why don't you just PRINT these "important emails" you want to save? Or do
    you not have a printer at work, or are you not allowed to use it?

    Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email you've sent
    and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder? I mean, if one
    really needs to make sure an email doesn't get "lost" that would be the way
    to do it I'd think.

    TJ, Nov 20, 2007
  8. mickeymuffin

    Gordon Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message

    > Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email you've sent
    > and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder?

    yes - and currently the storage size is in excess of TWO GIGS.......

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2007
  9. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is
    >> at work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail
    >> from there.

    > That's how I read it, yes.

    This is not a typical computer user we are guessing at here. Making
    assumptions or guesses about what you can do with a work computer in
    atypical situations is a bad idea. A great many work environments do
    not allow employees to use the work computer to make copies of any
    material they have access to.

    >> You want access to email content with or without headers you have
    >> received in gmail that you have copied to a disk.

    > Headers have ****-all to do with anything here,

    To me, the headers are a part of any email item, and in fact, to me
    copying a mail means copying the complete headers and unrendered html.
    You are making assumptions about some fraction of the mail the OP wants
    to copy. Only the rendered body of an html mail? The unrendered html
    body? I would not be copying a mail without the headers. Almost all of
    the people I talk to about copying gmail copy it from the 'show
    original' function.

    > and no. S/he's
    > asking how to save gmails to a disk. Not how to access them once
    > that task has been accomplished. Why do you always need to obfuscate
    > things?

    If you are going to save something, you need to be saving it in a form
    that you can access. Doh. How the saved data is going to be accessed
    is critical to how to save it.

    >> It isn't clear what kind of computer equipment you have access to.

    > Which part isn't clear, Mike? The OP has access to the Internet at
    > work but not elsewhere.

    The OP has defined that there is a computer which can access the
    internet at work. S/he hasn't defined anything else, including what the
    capabilities of the work computer are. The fact that it is a work
    machine which is 'restrictive' in terms of installing applications is
    evident, but if the work computer allows USB access and 'usage', all
    kinds of things are possible.

    It is even possible that a portable mail app could be put on a
    thumbdrive and the gmail transferred in that way.

    > When the OP goes to work s/he logs onto
    > gmail and reads the messages. S/he's asking how to save said
    > messages to disk. What else did you NEED to know?

    What kinds of access and behavior the work computer allows and
    facilitates.

    >> Do you have access to a home computer which does /not/ have internet
    >> access?

    > That was covered by, "At the moment the only internet access that i
    > have is at work."

    No, a home computer without internet access isn't covered by that
    information.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007
  10. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "TJ"

    >> Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email
    >> you've sent and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder?

    > yes - and currently the storage size is in excess of TWO GIGS.......

    My gmail storage capacity is currently in excess of 5 gigs and growing.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007
  11. mickeymuffin

    Gordon Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> "TJ"

    >>> Besides that, doesn't gmail allow you to store copies of email
    >>> you've sent and/or received indefinately in an online archive folder?

    >> yes - and currently the storage size is in excess of TWO GIGS.......

    > My gmail storage capacity is currently in excess of 5 gigs and growing.

    When did they change that? (I look at my GMail account online very
    infrequently now..........)

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2007
  12. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> My gmail storage capacity is currently in excess of 5 gigs and
    >> growing.
    >>

    > When did they change that? (I look at my GMail account online very
    > infrequently now..........)

    Since the very beginning at 2.5 the gmail capacity has been growing.
    When you log on there is a little 'meter' running showing you how much
    the capacity has grown to.

    If you go to the gmail login page there is an item on the left side
    before login called 'Lots of space' which shows a running total of your
    space https://gmail.google.com (that URL will redirect to a longer https
    one)

    At the instant I copied this it was 'Over 5085.571791 megabytes'

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007
  13. mickeymuffin

    TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:13k669rv1ubh12
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > TJ wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> So, if I understand this correctly, the computer access you have is
    >>> at work which does not have a mailuser agent and you access gmail
    >>> from there.

    >> That's how I read it, yes.

    > This is not a typical computer user we are guessing at here.

    <snip>

    I disagree. IMO, the OP is quite the "typical computer user".

    I base that statement on real-world experiences, along with the
    rudimentary questions asked very often in this group.

    What YOU fail to understand is that it's YOU and a few others who post
    here regularly that are *atypical* compuer users.

    However, most of the others seem to grasp the fact that they know a lot
    more than the "typical computer user" and answer questions (at least
    initially) accordingly.

    But not you, Mike. You *continually* fail to understand it, and
    pontificate away in initial and subsequent replies to simple questions
    in what appears to be some misguided effort on your part to prove you're
    smarter than everybody else.

    Your style is offputting to me, and (IMO) utterly useless to Noobs.

    Perhaps you should consider creating a group called
    24hoursupport.helpdesk.advanced.

    <snip>

    TJ, Nov 20, 2007
  14. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> This is not a typical computer user we are guessing at here.

    > I disagree. IMO, the OP is quite the "typical computer user".

    You might divide up those who post to this group into GGers and
    non-GGers -- where the GGers can be roughly subtyped into spammers,
    newbies, and those accessing via GG for other reasons -- and the
    non-GGers are using newsagents and newsservers and likely to be also
    using mailuser agents and mailservers.

    My estimation would be that it would be slim minority - atypical - of
    those types and subtypes who don't have access to a connectivity
    provider which also provides them with an smtp mailserver. By that
    accounting, the OP is atypical.

    Since the OP hasn't further characterized hirself by what kind of
    computer access s/he has at work or otherwise, it is hard to comment
    further about the degree of more or less atypicality.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007
  15. mickeymuffin

    TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > TJ wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> This is not a typical computer user we are guessing at here.

    >> I disagree. IMO, the OP is quite the "typical computer user".

    > You might

    <snip>

    I'll give you one other accolade before I say goodbye.

    You don't nym-shift to avoid killfiles.

    TJ, Nov 20, 2007
  16. mickeymuffin

    Mike Easter Guest

    TJ wrote:

    > I'll give you one other accolade before I say goodbye.
    >
    > You don't nym-shift to avoid killfiles.

    I highly recommend that everyone who doesn't want to read what I have to
    say kf me, that includes those who want to start a discussion with me
    about something and can't keep up.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2007