    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    , Nov 30, 2006

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 30 Nov 2006 12:10:22 -0800, wrote:

    >I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best way to save
    >their videos?
    >
    >I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can save videos
    >as "favorites" but can you actually save the FLASH file? I believe
    >most if not all of the YOU-TUBE content is flash based.
    >
    >Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file and view it
    >in the viewer of my choice without having to see the clips in the
    >browser?

    With Firefox, there's a number of plug-ins (extensions) that will do
    the trick. UnPlug comes to mind, among others.

    Evan Platt, Nov 30, 2006

  3. Fred Guest

    http://keepvid.com

    Fred, Nov 30, 2006
  4. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
    > way to save their videos?
    >
    > I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
    > save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
    > FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
    > content is flash based.
    >
    > Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
    > and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
    > see the clips in the browser?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
    (streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
    another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
    of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
    directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
    extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
    directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
    leisure.

    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 1, 2006
  5. Guest

    Re: Saving files on YOU-TUBE ... ??? (How to.)

    thanatoid wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    > > I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
    > > way to save their videos?
    > >
    > > I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
    > > save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
    > > FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
    > > content is flash based.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
    > > and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
    > > see the clips in the browser?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > LEESA (I)
    > >

    > I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
    > (streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
    > another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
    > of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
    > directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
    > extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
    > directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
    > leisure.

    Thanks thanatoid : - )

    I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest file in the
    suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's cache4....

    I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked just fine.

    Thanks

    Leesa (I)

    , Dec 1, 2006
  6. me Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I'm sort new into the YOU-TUBE thing but what is the best
    >> > way to save their videos?
    >> >
    >> > I have an older maching with Win98. Now... I see you can
    >> > save videos as "favorites" but can you actually save the
    >> > FLASH file? I believe most if not all of the YOU-TUBE
    >> > content is flash based.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to save the individual file as a FLASH file
    >> > and view it in the viewer of my choice without having to
    >> > see the clips in the browser?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > LEESA (I)
    >> >

    >> I don't know about other browsers, but Opera saves flv
    >> (streaming Flash files) as .tmp or .swf files (sometimes yet
    >> another extension, but it will be a 5-15MB file usually, and one
    >> of the most recent ones in the cache) in its "profile\cache4"
    >> directory. You rename the file to anything with an "flv"
    >> extension, copy it to your "my collection of stupid videos"
    >> directory, and DL the free Riva FLV player to view them at your
    >> leisure.

    > Thanks thanatoid : - )
    >
    > I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest file in the
    > suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's cache4....
    >
    > I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked just fine.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    MMMM Wimpyyyyy. I loved their burgers,especially the half pounder,but they
    were expensive.

    me, Dec 1, 2006
  7. thanatoid Guest

    > Thanks thanatoid : - )
    >
    > I found your information helpful. I did find the biggest
    > file in the suggested directory and I do use Opera so it's
    > cache4....
    >
    > I used a free flash player named WIMPY..... which worked
    > just fine.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    You are very welcome. I will look into WIMPY, as Riva, although
    the best of 15 or so I have tried, is not without its
    problems...

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Guest

    Re: Saving files on YOU-TUBE ... ??? (How to.)

    Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is that I have
    been having some issues locating the file "sometimes' within my Opera
    directory. Does YouTube strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    , Dec 4, 2006
  9. Guest

    wrote:

    >Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is that I have
    >been having some issues locating the file "sometimes' within my Opera
    >directory. Does YouTube strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?

    It will always be in Program Files\Opera\profile\cache4
    it might end in .TMP - Youtube only uses FLV files
    Two ways I find them is by date or size (they are large)

    Just rename the .TMP to .FLV/SWF drop in your player and see what
    you've got :)

    I use FlvPlayer
    http://www.download.com/FLVPlayer/3000-2139_4-10413461.html
    just a real simple program.

    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJYTl0kWheg

    , Dec 4, 2006
  10. thanatoid Guest

    > Thanks.... the only problem I am sometimes having now is
    > that I have been having some issues locating the file
    > "sometimes' within my Opera directory. Does YouTube
    > strictly use only .SWF and .FLV files?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Of the 30 or so videos I've DL'd, one just would not save/stay
    in the cache no matter what. I tried 4 or 5 times. Once I got
    about half of it, then it vaporized (I was copying it to another
    dir. as it went along, to grab what I could).

    Most had tmp or swf extensions but there MAY have been other
    exts, I can't remember. A 3-4 minute music video is usually
    around 10MB so that's the easiest way to locate them. Once it
    finishes playing, I go to the Opera cache immediately and
    copy/move the last huge file dl'd, rename it, etc.

    If you have a real file viewer (like edxor) you can actually
    *look* inside/at the file and the first three characters *will*
    be flv, whatever its ext. is in your cache.

    I have never found anything larger than maybe 1 MB in any
    browser's cache in 10 years (except for programs DL'd etc) so
    you may just be hitting some videos that just will not save to
    cache - like the one I ran across. Needless to say, contacting
    tech support is pointless - they are a VERY popular site.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 5, 2006