    photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    drive preserve them longer?

    Luk

    luk, Aug 15, 2006

  2. luk wrote:
    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    Good question. I don't know about life expectancy of flash drives. I
    would suggest that it would be a good idea to make at least two copies of
    the CD-R and renew them every 3-5 years. Keep one copy with you and one
    with friend or family far away, like across country. No matter what, one is
    likely to survive.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 15, 2006

  3. luk

    Paul Heslop Guest

    luk wrote:

    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    what about an external hard drive?
    --
    Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Aug 15, 2006
  4. luk

    Sharp Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:35:05 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >luk wrote:
    >>
    >> I've been restoring and saving family
    >> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    >> drive preserve them longer?
    >>
    >> Luk

    >what about an external hard drive?

    Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
    get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
    more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
    I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
    spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

    Sharp, Aug 15, 2006
  5. luk

    luk Guest

    Sharp wrote:

    > Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
    > get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
    > more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
    > I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
    > spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

    Interesting.
    As it happens, I asked at my local computer store
    what CD-Rs would last the longest. I was sent to
    the tech department. The tech department didn't
    know either. I specifically asked whether gold-
    toned disks were better and they had no idea.

    Luk

    luk, Aug 15, 2006
  6. luk

    Paul Heslop Guest

    luk wrote:

    > Sharp wrote:
    >
    > > Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
    > > get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
    > > more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
    > > I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
    > > spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

    > Interesting.
    > As it happens, I asked at my local computer store
    > what CD-Rs would last the longest. I was sent to
    > the tech department. The tech department didn't
    > know either. I specifically asked whether gold-
    > toned disks were better and they had no idea.
    >
    > Luk

    many people recommend Taiyo yuden but then you have the 'is it real or
    is it fake' thing.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 16, 2006
  7. luk

    Jim Guest

    On 2006-08-15 11:23:16 -0400, luk <> said:

    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    Kodachrome.. oops hardly an option anymore. I am glad my earliest
    memories are on Dad's Kodachrome. They will be around for a very long
    time. That being said, most my stuff is scanned to digital or
    originated as digital. Its all stored on hard drives. And it is
    backed up to DVD every so often. Every 6 months, I take one of the
    DVD's and put in my Safe Deposit box. every two months I take one to
    work and put it in my desk (and yes, there are no photo's on that DVD
    that I fear my employer finding.. at work, its the employers property).

    I would not trust a flash drive. Too easy to erase, smash, lose etc.
    Make backups, often. Keep at least two generations of backups. Man,
    life was so much easier in the days of Kodachrome or black and white
    negatives. The stuff would last forever.

    In 10 years, will you be able to buy a device to read DVD's, CD's or
    current hard disk file systems.. . a question worth thinking long and
    hard about.

    Its not so far fetched. In the datacenter I manage, I need to maintain
    several old tape systems to manage Archives on media that is no longer
    supported. Yes we copy if off, but there is still a backlog.
    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Aug 16, 2006
  8. luk

    Guest

    luk wrote:
    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
    estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
    labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
    CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.

    Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
    question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
    storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
    good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

    , Aug 16, 2006
  9. luk

    luk Guest

    wrote:

    > This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
    > estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
    > labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
    > CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.
    >
    > Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
    > question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
    > storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
    > good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

    How do I make sure I'm buying good
    quality disks?

    Luk

    luk, Aug 16, 2006
  10. luk

    no_name Guest

    luk wrote:

    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    Probably not. Get the best quality CD-R disks you can find & use them.

    A backup external hard-disk could also be a good thing. Store the CD
    "images" on it.

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
  11. luk

    Guest

    luk wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
    > > estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
    > > labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
    > > CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.
    > >
    > > Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
    > > question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
    > > storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
    > > good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

    > How do I make sure I'm buying good
    > quality disks?
    >
    > Luk

    Not easy but two suggestions- buy name brand, and in some brands they
    sell "premium" longer lasting ones. One brand has a gold plating
    coating that is supposed to aid lifetime.

    Also, important suggestions- be careful about labeling. I used those
    adhesive labels made for disks. Then heard that these are bad-
    adhesive leaches into disk plastic. Sure enough, every one of the
    disks I had done that way went bad in about a year. I now buy
    labelable disks for my Epson printer which will print on CDs, or use a
    CD/DVD-safe marking pen, bought at computer store, for less important
    disks.

    , Aug 17, 2006
  12. luk

    luk Guest

    wrote:

    > Not easy but two suggestions- buy name brand, and in some brands they
    > sell "premium" longer lasting ones. One brand has a gold plating
    > coating that is supposed to aid lifetime.
    >
    > Also, important suggestions- be careful about labeling. I used those
    > adhesive labels made for disks. Then heard that these are bad-
    > adhesive leaches into disk plastic. Sure enough, every one of the
    > disks I had done that way went bad in about a year. I now buy
    > labelable disks for my Epson printer which will print on CDs, or use a
    > CD/DVD-safe marking pen, bought at computer store, for less important

    I wish you had named names. I've shopped for
    CD-R disks in several stores, looking for info
    about durability. After determining that CD-Rs
    are the category I'm supposed to buy, there aren't
    many choices and the labels aren't helpful.

    Someone wrote somewhere that gold toned disks
    are a good thing. But the only gold toned
    disks I found were simply designed for labeling
    convenience. They're called LightScribe.
    Like this:
    http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=1&SID=1&PID=899&FID=129&opento=2#

    Luk

    luk, Aug 17, 2006
  13. luk

    John Turco Guest

    luk wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > Someone wrote somewhere that gold toned disks
    > are a good thing. But the only gold toned
    > disks I found were simply designed for labeling
    > convenience. They're called LightScribe.
    > Like this:
    > http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=1&SID=1&PID=899&FID=129&opento=2#
    >
    > Luk

    Hello, Luk:

    Only certain, newer DVD writers can "etch" Light Scribe media. Unless
    you own such a device, or intend to acquire one, there's no point in
    buying these discs.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 19, 2006
  14. luk

    Joan Guest

    How old is your oldest hard drive? Have you tried to use an old 20MB
    hard drive?

    --
    Joan

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    : luk wrote:
    : >
    : > I've been restoring and saving family
    : > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    : > drive preserve them longer?
    : >
    : > Luk
    :
    : what about an external hard drive?
    : --
    : Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    : ------------------------------------------------------

    Joan, Aug 19, 2006
  15. luk

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Heslop, Aug 19, 2006
  16. luk

    Joan Guest

    Doesn't matter really, but you suggested a hard drive. I wouldn't
    trust them for long term storage.

    --
    Joan

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    : Joan wrote:
    : >
    : > How old is your oldest hard drive? Have you tried to use an old
    20MB
    : > hard drive?
    : >
    : > --
    : > Joan
    : > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
    :
    : this for the OP or me Joan?
    : --

    Joan, Aug 19, 2006
  17. luk

    Kiwiski Guest

    luk wrote:
    > I've been restoring and saving family
    > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
    > drive preserve them longer?
    >
    > Luk

    One way or other we will always have to be changing medium every few
    years - what a hassle. I'm now storing things online with a company I
    trust (they have a very strong reputation, the highest possible
    financial strength rating - so are not about to go bust, a policy to
    never ever delete anyone's images, and a back up system as strong as
    any banks). I have figured that my images are safer with them than on
    any system I come up with (even if it wasn't corruptible, there is
    always fire and flood!). I won't name the company publicly as I was so
    taken by it I decided to join it - (it would look too much like spam).
    John

    Kiwiski, Aug 19, 2006
  18. luk

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Joan wrote:

    > Doesn't matter really, but you suggested a hard drive. I wouldn't
    > trust them for long term storage.

    Personal thing I suppose. they do fail but so do discs. In fact I am
    unsure what is the absolute best way to store, so a combination of
    the things mentioned seems to be a good idea.

    Paul Heslop, Aug 19, 2006
  19. luk

    Joan Guest

    A shoe box is an old favourite of mine ;-)

    --
    Joan

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    : >

    Joan, Aug 19, 2006
  20. luk

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Joan wrote:

    > A shoe box is an old favourite of mine ;-)

    Heh, we have two boxes, both huge things, containing pics from our own
    kids and their kids mainly. One thing about digital, it's compact :O)

    Paul Heslop, Aug 19, 2006