    emailed as. FF seems to give it a random name of letters and numbers.
    Is there a way, or an extension, so a "save as" box pops up and I can
    save the file with a specific name? Thanks.
    Wendy, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Wendy wrote:
    > Hi. Using FF2 to access work webmail, when I save a document, it does
    > not allow me to alter the name or to save it under the name it was
    > emailed as. FF seems to give it a random name of letters and numbers.
    > Is there a way, or an extension, so a "save as" box pops up and I can
    > save the file with a specific name? Thanks.

    check your firewall, antivirus, or other program running in
    the backgroud. Some of these programs have been known to do
    this.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 3, 2008

  3. Wendy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:51:26 -0500, in message <>,
    Wendy wrote:

    > Hi. Using FF2 to access work webmail, when I save a document, it does
    > not allow me to alter the name or to save it under the name it was
    > emailed as. FF seems to give it a random name of letters and numbers.
    > Is there a way, or an extension, so a "save as" box pops up and I can
    > save the file with a specific name? Thanks.

    Go to "Tools -> Options -> Main", and under "Downloads"
    select the option "Ask me where to save files".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Wendy

    Wendy Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:51:26 -0500, in message <>,
    > Wendy wrote:

    >> Hi. Using FF2 to access work webmail, when I save a document, it does
    >> not allow me to alter the name or to save it under the name it was
    >> emailed as. FF seems to give it a random name of letters and numbers.
    >> Is there a way, or an extension, so a "save as" box pops up and I can
    >> save the file with a specific name? Thanks.

    > Go to "Tools -> Options -> Main", and under "Downloads"
    > select the option "Ask me where to save files".

    Thank you both. I did as suggested, at least now I can change the name.
    It still comes up with a name such as fgr569d.doc when it it should be
    something else like Smith Resume.doc. It's a pain to change each time.
    If I right click the link and "save link as" I get the name, but it
    saves it as a "firefox document" and adds .htm to the end and does not
    let me change it. Wish I could just get a "save as" function with the
    attached file name and the right extension.

    Thanks again.
    Wendy, Jan 3, 2008
  5. Wendy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:15:59 -0500, in message <>,
    Wendy wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    > > Go to "Tools -> Options -> Main", and under "Downloads"
    > > select the option "Ask me where to save files".

    > Thank you both. I did as suggested, at least now I can change the name.
    > It still comes up with a name such as fgr569d.doc when it it should be
    > something else like Smith Resume.doc. It's a pain to change each time.

    I suspect it may be your webmail system which is providing the
    random name "fgr569d". This does not happen with my webmail.

    > If I right click the link and "save link as" I get the name, but it
    > saves it as a "firefox document" and adds .htm to the end and does not
    > let me change it.

    Q. Does it add .htm in the "save as" box, or only after you have saved it?

    If you put "quote marks" around the _entire_ name "file.doc" in the
    "save as" box, then it will be saved with that name and will not
    have an extra .htm added to the end after you have saved it.

    From your description, there is a possibility that what is saved
    by "(right click) -> save link as" might not be the actual document
    but some intermediate webmail page on the way to the document.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 4, 2008