    I am moving to a new office. I have been able to say my favorites and
    the emails I want. How do I go about saving my "contacts"??

    Thanks

    mvccerase, Aug 13, 2004

  2. mvccerase

    DennisC Guest

    "mvccerase" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am moving to a new office. I have been able to say my favorites and
    > the emails I want. How do I go about saving my "contacts"??
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello,
    In Windows 2000 Pro/Windows XP the file is outlook.pst. .It can be located
    in the following path:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    If you are using Windows 98/ME do a search for .pst. It should show up in
    the C:\Windows folders.
    This is your personal folders. It contains all of your mail and contacts.
    Copy it and paste into My Documents or a folder of your choice.
    Or go to the Microsoft Office On-Line web site and download the personal
    folders
    back-up add-in for your version of Outlook. Here is the link:
    http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx
    Install it and backup your personal folders to a folder of your choice.
    Have fun....

    DennisC

    DennisC, Aug 13, 2004

  3. mvccerase

    Dean C Guest

    The pst file does indeed retain everything for you.

    If you want your contacts as a separate entity there's an
    export/import capability in Outlook.

    Click on your contacts folder.Click on file>import & export. An
    import/export wizard starts. Choose export to file. Choose to export
    to Excel - give the file a name.

    You can then import this file in Outlook by a similar procedure. Again
    click on file>import & export then "import from another program or
    file". Choose Microsoft Excel file type and follow the prompts.

    Suggest you test this process first by exporting to the Excel file and
    creating a dummy folder in your contacts and try to import again into
    there. Then you'll be sure everything is OK before you leave.

    It seems groups you create are lost though in the export process. The
    PST file backup method should retain your groups if that's critical
    for you.

    Dean C, Aug 14, 2004