saving cf cards to the iPod

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Nick, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Nick

    Obake Guest

    In article <>, Nick <> wrote:
    >I saw on www.belkin.com a gadget for saving digital pix to the ipod,
    >does anyone know when it's going to be available and if it's any good?

    its available now, and all reports (well, most reliable reports) say its
    *SLOW*. if you have a 1gb cf card the batteries will run out before the
    transfer is complete! its around 0.3mb/sec to transfer from cf to ipod.

    Obake, Oct 25, 2003

  3. "Nick" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I saw on www.belkin.com a gadget for saving digital pix to the ipod,
    > does anyone know when it's going to be available and if it's any good?

    It's for sale on the Apple site for $99. I'd feel pretty confident
    since Apple is selling it direct.

    Of course if you don't already have an iPod it makes more sense to
    buy something like the FlashTrax, which includes the ability to read
    CF cards in the base unit, and has a color screen for previewing
    (also an MP3 player of course).

    http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/DigitalMultimedia/FlashTrax.asp

    30GB hard drive for about $437 ((nerds.net), which is more than the
    20MB iPod, but the FlashTrax has a lot more features, especially the
    color screen and the ability to read CF without an adapter (adapter
    needed for other media types, $30). Also there is a $30 rebate, so it
    really only costs about $407, which is not much more than the 20GB
    iPod. Nicer industrial design than the iPod too.

    http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=154522&s=1

    There is also an 80GB version for around $650.

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Yeah, I've already got the iPod tho.....so it's tempting. Thanks for your
    help.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Check out my Guitar Tuition site http://www.fretbored.co.uk

    http://www.cubasics.com, making Cubase simple.

    Nick, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Nick

    Godfrey Guest

    It's available now. Apple Retail stores in this area had them until they were
    all bought out. They're waiting for restock now.

    Seems that some people are encountering very slow transfers (0.3Mb per sec)
    and others are doing fine (3Mb per sec). It may be a card size or make/model
    issue. Belkin are aware of the problem and working on it so I suspect they'll
    have a revised unit available shortly.

    I'm looking forward to it. I haven't bought an upgrade for my iPod yet, still
    have the very first 5G unit, but I use it constantly and wouldn't be without
    it. Having it perform second duty as a backup image store is enough
    motivation to buy myself a new 40G one.

    Godfrey

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:47:16 -0700, Nick wrote
    (in message <>):

    Godfrey, Oct 25, 2003
  6. I can afford to wait. Somebody will come out with a CF reader that's
    cheaper and probably works better. Griffin maybe?

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 25, 2003