    now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
    <whinge, gripe, moan...>
    slylittlei, Oct 2, 2003

  2. slylittlei

    Rick Merrill Guest

    slylittlei wrote:

    > ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    > When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window is a
    > subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a location of my
    > choosing?
    > In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something to, but
    > now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    > I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...

    "Viewing and Opening Attachments

    If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type that Netscape can display (such as graphic files and HTML files), you see the attachment displayed inline
    (in the body of the message). For other file types, Mail & Newsgroups lets you open the attachment using another application, or you can save the attachment on your
    hard disk.

    Tip: To read your messages without waiting for any attachments to download, you can disable attachment display. From the View menu, choose Display Attachments Inline to
    remove the checkmark and turn off attachment display.

    To open the attachment, make sure you have a program on your computer that can open files of the same type as the attachment's file format. For example, if you want to
    open a .DOC file, make sure you have a program on your computer that can open .DOC files.

    To open an attachment:

    1. Double-click the attachment you want (if there is more than one).
    2. In the Downloading dialog box, choose what you want Netscape to do with the attachment:

    * If Netscape finds an application on your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can open the attachment using that application. Click "Choose" to use
    a different application to open the attachment.
    * If Netscape can't find an application on your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can save the attachment. You won't be able to open the
    attachment, but at least you can save it on your hard disk until you can install an application that can open it.
    * Click "Advanced" to add a new file type to the list of helper applications. Netscape uses helper applications to determine how different file types are
    opened by other applications from within Netscape. For more information, see Managing Different File Types.
    3. Click OK.

    NB: If you are viewing your mail using an IMAP mail server, all attachments remain on the server!

    Switch him/her to Netscape :))
    Rick Merrill, Oct 2, 2003

  3. slylittlei

    Idle Guest

    Rick Merrill mentioned this:

    > slylittlei wrote:
    >
    >> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    >> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the
    >> window is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that
    >> default to a location of my choosing?
    >> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved
    >> something to, but now I have to browse to the right place
    >> everytime... I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE
    >> sites I've tried...

    > "Viewing and Opening Attachments
    >
    > If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type
    > that Netscape can display

    <snip>

    OE6

    Idle, Oct 2, 2003
  4. slylittlei

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: Rick Merrill stated for the record...
    > slylittlei wrote:
    >
    >> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    >> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
    >> is a
    >> subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
    >> location of my
    >> choosing?
    >> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
    >> to, but
    >> now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    >> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...

    > "Viewing and Opening Attachments
    >
    > If you receive a mail attachment that consists of a file type that
    > Netscape can display (such as graphic files and HTML files), you see
    > the attachment displayed inline (in the body of the message). For
    > other file types, Mail & Newsgroups lets you open the attachment
    > using another application, or you can save the attachment on your
    > hard disk.
    >
    > Tip: To read your messages without waiting for any attachments to
    > download, you can disable attachment display. From the View menu,
    > choose Display Attachments Inline to remove the checkmark and turn
    > off attachment display.
    >
    > To open the attachment, make sure you have a program on your computer
    > that can open files of the same type as the attachment's file format.
    > For example, if you want to open a .DOC file, make sure you have a
    > program on your computer that can open .DOC files.
    >
    > To open an attachment:
    >
    > 1. Double-click the attachment you want (if there is more than
    > one).
    > 2. In the Downloading dialog box, choose what you want Netscape
    > to do with the attachment:
    >

    > * If Netscape finds an application on your hard disk that
    > can open the attachment, you can open the attachment using that
    > application. Click "Choose" to use a different application
    > to open the attachment. * If Netscape can't find an application on
    > your hard disk that can open the attachment, you can save the
    > attachment. You won't be able to open the
    > attachment, but at least you can save it on your hard disk until you
    > can install an application that can open it. * Click
    > "Advanced" to add a new file type to the list of helper applications.
    > Netscape uses helper applications to determine how different file
    > types are
    > opened by other applications from within Netscape. For more
    > information, see Managing Different File Types.
    > 3. Click OK.
    >

    > NB: If you are viewing your mail using an IMAP mail server, all
    > attachments remain on the server!
    >

    > Switch him/her to Netscape :))

    Thanks for that, Rick, but I know how to open my attachments... ;-)
    What I wanted to know was how to change the default location to /save/ them
    to...
    slylittlei, Oct 2, 2003
  5. slylittlei

    bb3 Guest

    "slylittlei" <> wrote in message
    > ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    > When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window is

    > subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a location

    of my
    > choosing?
    > In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something to,

    but
    > now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    > I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
    > <whinge, gripe, moan...>

    Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory that I
    saved something to. Maybe try going to Control Panel...Add/Remove
    Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my machine, that fixed some
    problems with OE.
    bb3, Oct 2, 2003
  6. slylittlei

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: bb3 stated for the record...
    > "slylittlei" <> wrote in message
    >> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    >> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
    >> is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
    >> location of my choosing?
    >> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
    >> to, but now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    >> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've tried...
    >> <whinge, gripe, moan...>
    >>

    > Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory
    > that I saved something to. Maybe try going to Control
    > Panel...Add/Remove Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my
    > machine, that fixed some problems with OE.

    Thanks, I'll give it a try if all else fails..!
    slylittlei, Oct 2, 2003
  7. slylittlei

    > A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    > arboreal in it's habits: bb3 stated for the record...
    > > "slylittlei" <> wrote in message
    > >> ...a minor annoyance, but still:
    > >> When I save an attachment, the default location given in the window
    > >> is a subfolder of My Documents: how do I change that default to a
    > >> location of my choosing?
    > >> In OE5, it used to default to the last location I saved something
    > >> to, but now I have to browse to the right place everytime...
    > >> I can't find anything in OE6's options, or the OE sites I've

    tried...
    > >> <whinge, gripe, moan...>
    > >>

    > > Interesting. My OE6 automatically defaults to the last directory
    > > that I saved something to. Maybe try going to Control
    > > Panel...Add/Remove Programs...choosing IE and repair it? On my
    > > machine, that fixed some problems with OE.

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try if all else fails..!

    You're welcome. I hope you get it fixed. Sometimes the most annoying
    problems are the worst.
    bb3, Oct 2, 2003
  8. slylittlei

    Harrison Guest

    Found this on Google Groups

    The new OE6 SP1 Cumulative Update fixes some longstanding bugs in
    OE....

    One bug this patch was designed to correct, is the annoying fact that
    OE
    always defaults to My Documents when you save an attachment.
    Unfortunately
    the patch itself has a bug that prevents the new fix from working. The
    user-selected path for attachments is indeed written to the registry,
    but
    the final character in the path name is dropped, which means it won't
    work.
    Since the path stored at that point is not a valid path, OE dutifully
    defaults to, you guessed it, My Documents. Microsoft are aware of this
    problem (and probably more than a little embarrassed by it).

    To confirm the path is correct in your registry, goto

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\5.0

    in the value "Save Attachment" check to see that the proper path is
    entered
    (where your GUID is for the identity that you are logged into)

    Harrison, Oct 2, 2003
  9. slylittlei

    °Mike° Guest

    See:
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#patches

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:11:31 +0100, in
    <u3Yeb.14999$>
    slylittlei scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
  10. slylittlei

    slylittlei Guest

    slylittlei, Oct 2, 2003
  11. slylittlei

    slylittlei Guest

    A hairy quadruped, furnished with a tail & pointed ears, probably
    arboreal in it's habits: Harrison stated for the record...
    > Found this on Google Groups
    >
    > The new OE6 SP1 Cumulative Update fixes some longstanding bugs in
    > OE....
    >
    > One bug this patch was designed to correct, is the annoying fact that
    > OE
    > always defaults to My Documents when you save an attachment.
    > Unfortunately
    > the patch itself has a bug that prevents the new fix from working. The
    > user-selected path for attachments is indeed written to the registry,
    > but
    > the final character in the path name is dropped, which means it won't
    > work.
    > Since the path stored at that point is not a valid path, OE dutifully
    > defaults to, you guessed it, My Documents. Microsoft are aware of this
    > problem (and probably more than a little embarrassed by it).
    >
    > To confirm the path is correct in your registry, goto
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    > Express\5.0
    >
    > in the value "Save Attachment" check to see that the proper path is
    > entered
    > (where your GUID is for the identity that you are logged into)

    Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow..! :)
    slylittlei, Oct 2, 2003
  12. slylittlei

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003