    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk
    Jim S, Mar 20, 2009

  2. Jim S

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I use Paintshop Pro and/or Photoshop for editing photos for my website.
    > They both offer a method of 'Save for Web', but do it differently. I have
    > Googled around a bit and it seems that there is no standard method for
    > doing this.
    > PSP defaults to a quality is calls "20" on a scale of 1-99 while Pshop
    > offers 3 options labelled 60, 30 or 15 (but that seems to vary).
    > Now I know I can fiddle about every time I save, but there must be some
    > kind of rule-of-thumb - mustn't there?

    Yep, it's called 'how you want them to look'
    As you have found there are no concrete numbers because jpegs use complex
    mathmatics which give different results for different images.
    All you can do is plot the various options against how the image appears on
    the finished page.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 20, 2009

  3. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    Jim S <> wrote in

    > I use Paintshop Pro and/or Photoshop for editing photos for
    > my website. They both offer a method of 'Save for Web',
    > but do it differently. I have Googled around a bit and it
    > seems that there is no standard method for doing this.
    > PSP defaults to a quality is calls "20" on a scale of 1-99
    > while Pshop offers 3 options labelled 60, 30 or 15 (but
    > that seems to vary). Now I know I can fiddle about every
    > time I save, but there must be some kind of rule-of-thumb -
    > mustn't there?

    Yes, it's called persistence and a structured thorough problem
    analysis.

    I have seen quite a few "save for web" image programs/plug-
    ins/options and IMHO they are for brainless idiots, like most
    presets are.

    Unfortunately, most software programmers, like most people, are
    idiots too, so every photo editing program (that I've seen
    anyway) uses a different manner of measuring compression. It is
    fucking INFURIATING.

    (I would also recommend you get something simpler than
    Photoshop, it is ONLY needed by people who do stuff for $300
    coffee table books. I use a 5 yr. old version of Micrografx
    Picture Publisher (not to be confused with MS vomit called
    Publisher) and it does everything anyone could ask for. Since
    eaten-up by those fuckers Corel. There are probably about 200
    Windows photo edit programs, probably 1/4 of them free.)

    Anyway...

    Get a few different (but "average") pictures you can categorize
    into 3 basic "types", and experiment with sizes and compression
    ratios. Make a locked directory on your web site and experiment
    with how they look in different browsers. Decide on the best.
    Save settings(or write them down if you can't save them in your
    program).

    Done.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 21, 2009
  4. thanatoid wrote:
    > Jim S <> wrote in
    >
    >> I use Paintshop Pro and/or Photoshop for editing photos for
    >> my website. They both offer a method of 'Save for Web',
    >> but do it differently. I have Googled around a bit and it
    >> seems that there is no standard method for doing this.
    >> PSP defaults to a quality is calls "20" on a scale of 1-99
    >> while Pshop offers 3 options labelled 60, 30 or 15 (but
    >> that seems to vary). Now I know I can fiddle about every
    >> time I save, but there must be some kind of rule-of-thumb -
    >> mustn't there?

    > Yes, it's called persistence and a structured thorough problem
    > analysis.
    >
    > I have seen quite a few "save for web" image programs/plug-
    > ins/options and IMHO they are for brainless idiots, like most
    > presets are.
    >
    > Unfortunately, most software programmers, like most people, are
    > idiots too, so every photo editing program (that I've seen
    > anyway) uses a different manner of measuring compression. It is
    > fucking INFURIATING.

    I liek yuo Captain Angry. Yer my hero :)
    When *I* want to save an image with good detail for editing later i use
    a .gif extension.

    > (I would also recommend you get something simpler than
    > Photoshop, it is ONLY needed by people who do stuff for $300
    > coffee table books. I use a 5 yr. old version of Micrografx
    > Picture Publisher (not to be confused with MS vomit called
    > Publisher) and it does everything anyone could ask for. Since
    > eaten-up by those fuckers Corel. There are probably about 200
    > Windows photo edit programs, probably 1/4 of them free.)

    IIRC COrel was bought out by Micro$oft...

    > Anyway...

    Yeah...

    > Get a few different (but "average") pictures you can categorize
    > into 3 basic "types", and experiment with sizes and compression
    > ratios. Make a locked directory on your web site and experiment
    > with how they look in different browsers. Decide on the best.
    > Save settings(or write them down if you can't save them in your
    > program).
    >
    > Done.

    JPIGS are generally accepted as the de-facto standard for compression to
    quality ratio. But I prefer GIFs...

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 21, 2009
  5. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In photoshop you cna save the piccy your working on in
    >>> different formats. GIMP too methinks.

    >> Are you playing with me or what? Sometimes you seem normal
    >> (well...) and sometimes you seem like a fucking twisted
    >> lunatic with even less time and reason to live than I.
    >>

    > I do it alla tiem on BeOS...and IIRC I could 'save as' in
    > wtf ever format in PhotoShop on w98. The default was the
    > photoshop format but you coulds get to a dropdown lits of
    > differnt extensions to save in.

    Almost all decent image edit programs can save an image in a
    variety of formats, the original MS Paint being as limited as it
    was, being one of the notable exceptions.

    I noticed (I Wiki'd after a few of your statements) the only
    standard image file format Photoshop does not handle is the psp,
    PaintShopPro (ALSO bought pout by Corel). That's just CHILDISH.

    *PAIN*ShopPro ;-)
    I never tried it, but I think it was a VERY good idea to bring
    it out - apparently it can do even some things Photoshop can't
    do, and it leveled the playing field by a smidgen.

    <SNIP>

    >> Talk about RETARDED design. THE most overrated software
    >> EVER. But EVERYONE has to have it. I bet even Sonnova has
    >> it even though he's a "professional location audio guy".
    >>

    > Dunno...havent been following that thread too closely :)

    VERY wise. I wonder if he's still going on about his fucking
    specs.

    > If I dun know a thing I'll not pretend to have experience
    > w/it.

    There is enough info on the internet about anything for anyone
    with intelligence and critical and selective ability, and a good
    bullshit filter to have a reasonable idea about most things.

    >>> Wow. Memory intensive eh?

    >> Not at all. It loads in seconds and works like a dream.
    >> The tool icons look considerably less XIXth Century than
    >> Photoshop's, too.
    >>

    > HEh...Now I want it :)
    > I'm still trying to figure out BeOS's 'ArtPaint' which is a
    > lot like PHSP...

    You certainly seem to like to play with a lot of OS's.

    <SNIP>

    > Ah...somwon killed COrel WP...IIRC you cant find it
    > anymore...I have a w98 version sittin here :)

    All anyone needs is a good text editor like Edxor, NoteTabLight,
    and UltraEdit (in order of size/features).

    <SNIP>

    > I usually go with really cheapo used sftwarez or the
    > freebie linux ones.

    There is an astounding amount of EXCELLENT freeware for Windows.

    >>> Uhhhhhhh...no?

    >> Worth searching for, if you are at all into superficiality
    >> as symptom of internal decay. I sort of am.
    >>

    > Unless they impact me directly I usually dont care.
    > Since you seem to haveto use their warez in a professonal
    > sense, I can see your being interested :)

    Professional is an overstatement. I worked for an asshole in the
    90's and made a couple of catalogues etc. using a 286 with Corel
    Draw and a the HP Scanjet. I haven't done /anything/ in about 10
    years.

    >>> Something about GIFs being pretty big files to begin
    >>> with... lots more data to work with so you can enlarge em
    >>> and still get a decent image.

    They are big because they are basically like BMP's except 256
    colors only. I don't know why the pixels are so apparent, I am
    not that knowledgeable.

    Bigger files size does not necessarily equal better image,
    especially if you are posting (let'f face it) totally stupid and
    unimportant stuff.

    >> You are either a perverted freak with a sick sense of
    >> humor (and I KNOW you will take that as a compliment) or
    >> highly ignorant about computer image technology.
    >>

    > Well it was my undrstanding that the size of an image is
    > realted to the information contained therin. Therefore if
    > yu try an enlarge a small file you get a grainy result.
    > Its been my experience anyway. Have things changed?

    The principle is OK but I am perplexed by your preference for
    GIF's over JPG's.
    Do you LIKE 256 colors instead of true color?
    Like I said, it's nice and nostalgic but that's it.
    And I convert gif's to jpg's and half the time they ARE smaller
    in file size and get slightly smoother, plus you can do
    correction with a true color image (jpg, bmp, etc) and very
    little or none with a gif.

    thanatoid, Mar 23, 2009
  6. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    >>> Are you playing with me or what? Sometimes you seem normal
    >>> (well...) and sometimes you seem like a fucking twisted
    >>> lunatic with even less time and reason to live than I.
    >>>

    >> I do it alla tiem on BeOS...and IIRC I could 'save as' in
    >> wtf ever format in PhotoShop on w98. The default was the
    >> photoshop format but you coulds get to a dropdown lits of
    >> differnt extensions to save in.

    > Almost all decent image edit programs can save an image in a
    > variety of formats, the original MS Paint being as limited as it
    > was, being one of the notable exceptions.

    The auspicious .bmp

    > I noticed (I Wiki'd after a few of your statements) the only
    > standard image file format Photoshop does not handle is the psp,
    > PaintShopPro (ALSO bought pout by Corel). That's just CHILDISH.

    Thats odd.

    > *PAIN*ShopPro ;-)
    > I never tried it, but I think it was a VERY good idea to bring
    > it out - apparently it can do even some things Photoshop can't
    > do, and it leveled the playing field by a smidgen.
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Talk about RETARDED design. THE most overrated software
    >>> EVER. But EVERYONE has to have it. I bet even Sonnova has
    >>> it even though he's a "professional location audio guy".
    >>>

    >> Dunno...havent been following that thread too closely :)

    > VERY wise. I wonder if he's still going on about his fucking
    > specs.

    Maybe he's in the recording industry?

    >> If I dun know a thing I'll not pretend to have experience
    >> w/it.

    > There is enough info on the internet about anything for anyone
    > with intelligence and critical and selective ability, and a good
    > bullshit filter to have a reasonable idea about most things.

    Its the bullshit filter thats the critical issue.

    >>> Not at all. It loads in seconds and works like a dream.
    >>> The tool icons look considerably less XIXth Century than
    >>> Photoshop's, too.
    >>>

    >> HEh...Now I want it :)
    >> I'm still trying to figure out BeOS's 'ArtPaint' which is a
    >> lot like PHSP...

    > You certainly seem to like to play with a lot of OS's.

    Not as much as I used to. I've been sticking with BeOS for about four
    years now. Its my main desktop OS.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Ah...somwon killed COrel WP...IIRC you cant find it
    >> anymore...I have a w98 version sittin here :)

    > All anyone needs is a good text editor like Edxor, NoteTabLight,
    > and UltraEdit (in order of size/features).

    I should write that down...

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I usually go with really cheapo used sftwarez or the
    >> freebie linux ones.

    > There is an astounding amount of EXCELLENT freeware for Windows.

    I need a freebie gif-ascii generator...I had one somwhere but cant
    locate it...

    >>> Worth searching for, if you are at all into superficiality
    >>> as symptom of internal decay. I sort of am.
    >>>

    >> Unless they impact me directly I usually dont care.
    >> Since you seem to haveto use their warez in a professonal
    >> sense, I can see your being interested :)

    > Professional is an overstatement. I worked for an asshole in the
    > 90's and made a couple of catalogues etc. using a 286 with Corel
    > Draw and a the HP Scanjet. I haven't done /anything/ in about 10
    > years.

    Victorias Secret on a 286?
    Nothing like 16 colors to get ones blood pumping...

    > They are big because they are basically like BMP's except 256
    > colors only. I don't know why the pixels are so apparent, I am
    > not that knowledgeable.
    >
    > Bigger files size does not necessarily equal better image,
    > especially if you are posting (let'f face it) totally stupid and
    > unimportant stuff.

    I see the correlation :)

    >>> You are either a perverted freak with a sick sense of
    >>> humor (and I KNOW you will take that as a compliment) or
    >>> highly ignorant about computer image technology.
    >>>

    >> Well it was my undrstanding that the size of an image is
    >> realted to the information contained therin. Therefore if
    >> yu try an enlarge a small file you get a grainy result.
    >> Its been my experience anyway. Have things changed?

    > The principle is OK but I am perplexed by your preference for
    > GIF's over JPG's.
    > Do you LIKE 256 colors instead of true color?
    > Like I said, it's nice and nostalgic but that's it.
    > And I convert gif's to jpg's and half the time they ARE smaller
    > in file size and get slightly smoother, plus you can do
    > correction with a true color image (jpg, bmp, etc) and very
    > little or none with a gif.

    Well...I learned something here...now I'll work in jpg instead.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 24, 2009
  7. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> I noticed (I Wiki'd after a few of your statements) the
    >> only standard image file format Photoshop does not handle
    >> is the psp, PaintShopPro (ALSO bought pout by Corel).
    >> That's just CHILDISH.
    >>

    > Thats odd.

    I would be EMBARRASSED to do that in Adobe's place, but power
    has gone to their heads and they are one of the Evil Three. But
    if they think ignoring the psp format gives them more
    credibility, they are 180 degrees off. Then again, they are
    spoiled by people who haven't tried better programs which cost
    1/10 or 1/50 on sale. My PP7 cost me $20 new/sealed at an outlet
    store.

    >> *PAIN*ShopPro ;-)
    >> I never tried it, but I think it was a VERY good idea to
    >> bring it out - apparently it can do even some things
    >> Photoshop can't do, and it leveled the playing field by a
    >> smidgen.
    >>
    >> <SNIP>

    >>> Dunno...havent been following that thread too closely :)

    >> VERY wise. I wonder if he's still going on about his
    >> fucking specs.
    >>

    > Maybe he's in the recording industry?

    I would guess he does sound for some stupid TV station. 30
    "location recordings" per day can't be very complicated let
    alone important. Nothing more pathetic than assholes working for
    brainwashing media conglomerates proudly strutting around with
    their equipment.

    <SNIP>

    >> You certainly seem to like to play with a lot of OS's.
    >>

    > Not as much as I used to. I've been sticking with BeOS for
    > about four years now. Its my main desktop OS.

    I always liked what I saw about BeOS. Can you actually do most
    things incl. the internet with it? Is there enough programs to
    choose from? It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the LEAST used OS
    was the best.

    > I need a freebie gif-ascii generator...I had one somwhere
    > but cant locate it...

    Clarify that. I have a few. Of course you might also consider
    Googling for it. I'm sure there are many on "oldies" sites.

    I found a couple on my HD. I collect freakishness. I'll post
    them to alt.binaries.test.gogo
    It has to be seen to be believed.

    <SNIP>

    >> Professional is an overstatement. I worked for an asshole
    >> in the 90's and made a couple of catalogues etc. using a
    >> 286 with Corel Draw and a the HP Scanjet. I haven't done
    >> /anything/ in about 10 years.
    >>

    > Victorias Secret on a 286?
    > Nothing like 16 colors to get ones blood pumping...

    It was all B&W, he was too cheap for anything else, and it was
    all pro audio and pro video stuff. Boring, but the catalogues
    were beautiful if I say so myself. And I did EVERYTHING
    including taking photos of stuff we didn't have "literature"
    (AKA brochures, propaganda) for, scanning what we DID have,
    writing descriptions, designing, etc . While being the lowest
    paid and worst treated person in the company. I AM a fucking
    loser. I should have told that asshole to **** himself my 3rd
    day there, if not the first.

    <SNIP>

    >> The principle is OK but I am perplexed by your preference
    >> for GIF's over JPG's.
    >> Do you LIKE 256 colors instead of true color?
    >> Like I said, it's nice and nostalgic but that's it.
    >> And I convert gif's to jpg's and half the time they ARE
    >> smaller in file size and get slightly smoother, plus you
    >> can do correction with a true color image (jpg, bmp, etc)
    >> and very little or none with a gif.
    >>

    > Well...I learned something here...now I'll work in jpg
    > instead.

    "Working" with jpg's introduces slight deterioration at each
    save, since it is a lossy format, although of course you could
    save at no compression, but that sort of defeats the purpose. If
    you are gonna "work" on ANY image, convert it to bmp (some say
    tif, but I prefer bmp's, tif has too many variations and DOES
    compress, although supposedly "losslessly"). Do all the work in
    bmp, and save the final result to jpg in the quality which suits
    the nature of the project. Most stuff is so stupid it barely
    deserves 75% quality. I can't STAND it when people post/put
    stuff on web sites which is 3MB and would be EXACTLY the same at
    1/10 the size. Half the time they take a 400x600 image and blow
    it up to 2400x3600, and save it with almost no compression.
    Incomprehensible.

    I really find it hard to believe any of this was news to you.
    Maybe I /am/ too paranoid. I /did/ think you were the K-Man for
    a while, you know. Maybe you are (oops... there I go again...)

    thanatoid, Mar 25, 2009
  8. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> I noticed (I Wiki'd after a few of your statements) the
    >>> only standard image file format Photoshop does not handle
    >>> is the psp, PaintShopPro (ALSO bought pout by Corel).
    >>> That's just CHILDISH.
    >>>

    >> Thats odd.

    > I would be EMBARRASSED to do that in Adobe's place, but power
    > has gone to their heads and they are one of the Evil Three.

    Ok, I'll bite. Who are the othre two?

    But
    > if they think ignoring the psp format gives them more
    > credibility, they are 180 degrees off. Then again, they are
    > spoiled by people who haven't tried better programs which cost
    > 1/10 or 1/50 on sale. My PP7 cost me $20 new/sealed at an outlet
    > store.

    That is cheap.
    Prolly not as cheap as my yardsale Corel 7&8...but still.

    >>> *PAIN*ShopPro ;-)
    >>> I never tried it, but I think it was a VERY good idea to
    >>> bring it out - apparently it can do even some things
    >>> Photoshop can't do, and it leveled the playing field by a
    >>> smidgen.
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>

    >>> VERY wise. I wonder if he's still going on about his
    >>> fucking specs.
    >>>

    >> Maybe he's in the recording industry?

    > I would guess he does sound for some stupid TV station. 30
    > "location recordings" per day can't be very complicated let
    > alone important. Nothing more pathetic than assholes working for
    > brainwashing media conglomerates proudly strutting around with
    > their equipment.

    Damn the gainfully employed!
    :)
    Or maybe he's a chav with a mobile DJ rig...

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> You certainly seem to like to play with a lot of OS's.
    >>>

    >> Not as much as I used to. I've been sticking with BeOS for
    >> about four years now. Its my main desktop OS.

    > I always liked what I saw about BeOS. Can you actually do most
    > things incl. the internet with it? Is there enough programs to
    > choose from? It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the LEAST used OS
    > was the best.

    I do this with BeOS :)
    I can use BePodder for podcasts...if I was into that.
    Theres Email with Tbird and BeMail.
    Firefox, Seamonkey, Netpositive web browsers...
    WAtch videos with VLC....sure...lotsa things you can do with it.

    >> I need a freebie gif-ascii generator...I had one somwhere
    >> but cant locate it...

    > Clarify that. I have a few. Of course you might also consider
    > Googling for it. I'm sure there are many on "oldies" sites.

    I found two...one that produces nothing worth while and one that is a
    file that needs to be "compiled" to run first...so other than web apps
    Ive not found anything useful for my w98 laptop. I used to have one that
    worked a charm on line art.

    > I found a couple on my HD. I collect freakishness. I'll post
    > them to alt.binaries.test.gogo
    > It has to be seen to be believed.

    Heh...

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> Professional is an overstatement. I worked for an asshole
    >>> in the 90's and made a couple of catalogues etc. using a
    >>> 286 with Corel Draw and a the HP Scanjet. I haven't done
    >>> /anything/ in about 10 years.
    >>>

    >> Victorias Secret on a 286?
    >> Nothing like 16 colors to get ones blood pumping...

    > It was all B&W, he was too cheap for anything else, and it was
    > all pro audio and pro video stuff. Boring, but the catalogues
    > were beautiful if I say so myself. And I did EVERYTHING
    > including taking photos of stuff we didn't have "literature"
    > (AKA brochures, propaganda) for, scanning what we DID have,
    > writing descriptions, designing, etc . While being the lowest
    > paid and worst treated person in the company. I AM a fucking
    > loser. I should have told that asshole to **** himself my 3rd
    > day there, if not the first.

    Cant use that past employment as a reference now!

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> The principle is OK but I am perplexed by your preference
    >>> for GIF's over JPG's.
    >>> Do you LIKE 256 colors instead of true color?
    >>> Like I said, it's nice and nostalgic but that's it.
    >>> And I convert gif's to jpg's and half the time they ARE
    >>> smaller in file size and get slightly smoother, plus you
    >>> can do correction with a true color image (jpg, bmp, etc)
    >>> and very little or none with a gif.
    >>>

    >> Well...I learned something here...now I'll work in jpg
    >> instead.

    > "Working" with jpg's introduces slight deterioration at each
    > save, since it is a lossy format, although of course you could
    > save at no compression, but that sort of defeats the purpose. If
    > you are gonna "work" on ANY image, convert it to bmp (some say
    > tif, but I prefer bmp's, tif has too many variations and DOES
    > compress, although supposedly "losslessly"). Do all the work in
    > bmp, and save the final result to jpg in the quality which suits
    > the nature of the project. Most stuff is so stupid it barely
    > deserves 75% quality. I can't STAND it when people post/put
    > stuff on web sites which is 3MB and would be EXACTLY the same at
    > 1/10 the size. Half the time they take a 400x600 image and blow
    > it up to 2400x3600, and save it with almost no compression.
    > Incomprehensible.
    >
    > I really find it hard to believe any of this was news to you.
    > Maybe I /am/ too paranoid. I /did/ think you were the K-Man for
    > a while, you know. Maybe you are (oops... there I go again...)

    Noep...Kmang is an aussie tosser while Iem 'merkin, mate.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 25, 2009
  9. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> I would be EMBARRASSED to do that in Adobe's place, but
    >> power has gone to their heads and they are one of the Evil
    >> Three.

    > Ok, I'll bite. Who are the othre two?

    MS and Goggle, of course. I have mentioned it before.

    > But
    >> if they think ignoring the psp format gives them more
    >> credibility, they are 180 degrees off. Then again, they
    >> are spoiled by people who haven't tried better programs
    >> which cost 1/10 or 1/50 on sale. My PP7 cost me $20
    >> new/sealed at an outlet store.

    > That is cheap.
    > Prolly not as cheap as my yardsale Corel 7&8...but still.

    Two CD's, one with the program and one with the usual stupid
    clip art. But lots of fonts, too. IIRC (I have WAY too many
    fonts, but I only have about 30 (including system etc) load at
    startup.

    Speaking of which, I had to show someone how to correct image
    quality and all they had (of course, sigh) was Paint and MS
    Photo Editor which did not turn out to offer much more. So we
    dl'd GIMP. Nice, but I'll stick with what I have been using for
    15 years.

    <SNIP>

    >>> Maybe he's in the recording industry?

    >> I would guess he does sound for some stupid TV station. 30
    >> "location recordings" per day can't be very complicated
    >> let alone important. Nothing more pathetic than assholes
    >> working for brainwashing media conglomerates proudly
    >> strutting around with their equipment.
    >>

    > Damn the gainfully employed!
    >:)
    > Or maybe he's a chav with a mobile DJ rig...

    I don't know WHAT'S worse!

    > I do this with BeOS :)
    > I can use BePodder for podcasts...if I was into that.
    > Theres Email with Tbird and BeMail.
    > Firefox, Seamonkey, Netpositive web browsers...
    > WAtch videos with VLC....sure...lotsa things you can do
    > with it.

    Someday when I FINALLY get this stupid drive organized and
    backed up I intend to try Linux and I will after this discussion
    try BeOS I think.

    >>> I need a freebie gif-ascii generator...I had one somwhere
    >>> but cant locate it...

    >> Clarify that. I have a few. Of course you might also
    >> consider Googling for it. I'm sure there are many on
    >> "oldies" sites.
    >>

    > I found two...one that produces nothing worth while and one
    > that is a file that needs to be "compiled" to run
    > first...so other than web apps Ive not found anything
    > useful for my w98 laptop. I used to have one that
    > worked a charm on line art.

    Not much of a clarification. I still don't understand what the
    /program/ is supposed to do... ASCII art, something else? What?

    >> I found a couple on my HD. I collect freakishness. I'll
    >> post them to alt.binaries.test.gogo
    >> It has to be seen to be believed.
    >>

    > Heh...

    Did you see the poor dog? (As in CANINE. The wife is not "ugly",
    just very plastic.)

    <SNIP>

    > Cant use that past employment as a reference now!

    I will never work again. I'm 55, crazy, and unemployable. (MAYBE
    McDonald's if I ever live to 60. I like McDonald's.) If "certain
    people" think I'm difficult and opinionated on the Usenet, they
    should try working with me. I regularly told my coworkers and
    boss EXACTLY what I thought of them.

    <SNIP>

    >> I really find it hard to believe any of this was news to
    >> you. Maybe I /am/ too paranoid. I /did/ think you were the
    >> K-Man for a while, you know. Maybe you are (oops... there
    >> I go again...)
    >>

    > Noep...Kmang is an aussie tosser while Iem 'merkin, mate.

    Ahh... good ol' Merka. The land of the "American Idol"
    worshippers... I bought the 2009 Almanac. Obama, McCain, AND the
    guy who won AI on the cover. Brave new world indeed.

    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2009
  10. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> Speaking of which, I had to show someone how to correct
    >> image quality and all they had (of course, sigh) was Paint
    >> and MS Photo Editor which did not turn out to offer much
    >> more. So we dl'd GIMP. Nice, but I'll stick with what I
    >> have been using for 15 years.
    >>

    > Its the learning curve. Its "like" photoshop...but not
    > really...it tends to open a separrate window for
    > *everything* so you have a lot of little windows cluttering
    > up your space...

    Yes, that bugged the hell out of me. I remember once DL'g a
    screenshot of an old version, and it was not like that. Anyway,
    I have Micrografx PP.

    <SNIP>

    >>> I do this with BeOS :)
    >>> I can use BePodder for podcasts...if I was into that.
    >>> Theres Email with Tbird and BeMail.
    >>> Firefox, Seamonkey, Netpositive web browsers...
    >>> WAtch videos with VLC....sure...lotsa things you can do
    >>> with it.

    >> Someday when I FINALLY get this stupid drive organized and
    >> backed up I intend to try Linux and I will after this
    >> discussion try BeOS I think.
    >>

    > By then Haiku will be easy to install w/no need for a VM.

    >>> I found two...one that produces nothing worth while and
    >>> one that is a file that needs to be "compiled" to run
    >>> first...so other than web apps Ive not found anything
    >>> useful for my w98 laptop. I used to have one that
    >>> worked a charm on line art.

    >> Not much of a clarification. I still don't understand what
    >> the /program/ is supposed to do... ASCII art, something
    >> else? What?
    >>

    > So you can take a gif,jpg etc and convert it to ascii art.
    > I found some but one dosent work at all...one needs 1.3ghz
    > minimum system and one works,but needs tweaking.

    I'll post a few for you in alt.binaries.test.gogo

    <SNIP>
    >> Did you see the poor dog? (As in CANINE. The wife is not
    >> "ugly", just very plastic.)
    >>

    > Ah no. I was gonna g00gle her but distraction set in...

    I posted two best ones to alt.binaries.test.gogo

    <SNIP>

    >>I regularly told my coworkers and boss EXACTLY what I
    >> thought of them.
    >>

    > If you can code that kind of social retardation is
    > completely acceptable. AS long as you an churn out really
    > good code. The dev world is full of peeps like that :)

    I didn't code, I'm not a programmer, but I had to
    correct/rewrite everything the president and the managers (let
    alone the other retards) wrote because they were all illiterate
    morons.

    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    "This is going to be one of television's finest moments. Who'd
    have guessed that the founder of Hookers for Jesus would risk
    demeaning herself by appearing with Chopra."

    That is one FANTASTIC blog. Thanks man!

    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2009
  12. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> I would be EMBARRASSED to do that in Adobe's place, but
    >>> power has gone to their heads and they are one of the Evil
    >>> Three.

    >> Ok, I'll bite. Who are the othre two?

    > MS and Goggle, of course. I have mentioned it before.
    >
    >> But
    >>> if they think ignoring the psp format gives them more
    >>> credibility, they are 180 degrees off. Then again, they
    >>> are spoiled by people who haven't tried better programs
    >>> which cost 1/10 or 1/50 on sale. My PP7 cost me $20
    >>> new/sealed at an outlet store.

    >> That is cheap.
    >> Prolly not as cheap as my yardsale Corel 7&8...but still.

    > Two CD's, one with the program and one with the usual stupid
    > clip art. But lots of fonts, too. IIRC (I have WAY too many
    > fonts, but I only have about 30 (including system etc) load at
    > startup.

    > Speaking of which, I had to show someone how to correct image
    > quality and all they had (of course, sigh) was Paint and MS
    > Photo Editor which did not turn out to offer much more. So we
    > dl'd GIMP. Nice, but I'll stick with what I have been using for
    > 15 years.

    Its the learning curve. Its "like" photoshop...but not really...it tends
    to open a separrate window for *everything* so you have a lot of little
    windows cluttering up your space...

    > <SNIP>

    >>> I would guess he does sound for some stupid TV station. 30
    >>> "location recordings" per day can't be very complicated
    >>> let alone important. Nothing more pathetic than assholes
    >>> working for brainwashing media conglomerates proudly
    >>> strutting around with their equipment.
    >>>

    >> Damn the gainfully employed!
    >> :)
    >> Or maybe he's a chav with a mobile DJ rig...

    > I don't know WHAT'S worse!

    Chav's definitly...
    Unless its Ali G.

    >> I do this with BeOS :)
    >> I can use BePodder for podcasts...if I was into that.
    >> Theres Email with Tbird and BeMail.
    >> Firefox, Seamonkey, Netpositive web browsers...
    >> WAtch videos with VLC....sure...lotsa things you can do
    >> with it.

    > Someday when I FINALLY get this stupid drive organized and
    > backed up I intend to try Linux and I will after this discussion
    > try BeOS I think.

    By then Haiku will be easy to install w/no need for a VM.

    >>> Clarify that. I have a few. Of course you might also
    >>> consider Googling for it. I'm sure there are many on
    >>> "oldies" sites.
    >>>

    >> I found two...one that produces nothing worth while and one
    >> that is a file that needs to be "compiled" to run
    >> first...so other than web apps Ive not found anything
    >> useful for my w98 laptop. I used to have one that
    >> worked a charm on line art.

    > Not much of a clarification. I still don't understand what the
    > /program/ is supposed to do... ASCII art, something else? What?

    So you can take a gif,jpg etc and convert it to ascii art.
    I found some but one dosent work at all...one needs 1.3ghz minimum
    system and one works,but needs tweaking.

    >>> I found a couple on my HD. I collect freakishness. I'll
    >>> post them to alt.binaries.test.gogo
    >>> It has to be seen to be believed.
    >>>

    >> Heh...

    > Did you see the poor dog? (As in CANINE. The wife is not "ugly",
    > just very plastic.)

    Ah no. I was gonna g00gle her but distraction set in...

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Cant use that past employment as a reference now!

    > I will never work again. I'm 55, crazy, and unemployable. (MAYBE
    > McDonald's if I ever live to 60. I like McDonald's.) If "certain
    > people" think I'm difficult and opinionated on the Usenet, they
    > should try working with me. I regularly told my coworkers and
    > boss EXACTLY what I thought of them.

    If you can code that kind of social retardation is completely
    acceptable. AS long as you an churn out really good code.
    The dev world is full of peeps like that :)

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> I really find it hard to believe any of this was news to
    >>> you. Maybe I /am/ too paranoid. I /did/ think you were the
    >>> K-Man for a while, you know. Maybe you are (oops... there
    >>> I go again...)
    >>>

    >> Noep...Kmang is an aussie tosser while Iem 'merkin, mate.

    > Ahh... good ol' Merka. The land of the "American Idol"
    > worshippers... I bought the 2009 Almanac. Obama, McCain, AND the
    > guy who won AI on the cover. Brave new world indeed.

    HEres a veiw into american culture:
    http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/

    Incredibly accurate.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 26, 2009
  13. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> Speaking of which, I had to show someone how to correct
    >>> image quality and all they had (of course, sigh) was Paint
    >>> and MS Photo Editor which did not turn out to offer much
    >>> more. So we dl'd GIMP. Nice, but I'll stick with what I
    >>> have been using for 15 years.
    >>>

    >> Its the learning curve. Its "like" photoshop...but not
    >> really...it tends to open a separrate window for
    >> *everything* so you have a lot of little windows cluttering
    >> up your space...

    > Yes, that bugged the hell out of me. I remember once DL'g a
    > screenshot of an old version, and it was not like that. Anyway,
    > I have Micrografx PP.
    >
    > <SNIP>

    craksplanet prolly has wotever yu wont in gfx warez, fyi.
    ;)

    >>> Someday when I FINALLY get this stupid drive organized and
    >>> backed up I intend to try Linux and I will after this
    >>> discussion try BeOS I think.
    >>>

    >> By then Haiku will be easy to install w/no need for a VM.

    >>> Not much of a clarification. I still don't understand what
    >>> the /program/ is supposed to do... ASCII art, something
    >>> else? What?
    >>>

    >> So you can take a gif,jpg etc and convert it to ascii art.
    >> I found some but one dosent work at all...one needs 1.3ghz
    >> minimum system and one works,but needs tweaking.

    > I'll post a few for you in alt.binaries.test.gogo
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >>> Did you see the poor dog? (As in CANINE. The wife is not
    >>> "ugly", just very plastic.)
    >>>

    >> Ah no. I was gonna g00gle her but distraction set in...

    > I posted two best ones to alt.binaries.test.gogo

    Arg...now i need to learn how to look at binaries.
    Yeah...never use that aspect of usenet. Stunned?

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> I regularly told my coworkers and boss EXACTLY what I
    >>> thought of them.
    >>>

    >> If you can code that kind of social retardation is
    >> completely acceptable. AS long as you an churn out really
    >> good code. The dev world is full of peeps like that :)

    > I didn't code, I'm not a programmer, but I had to
    > correct/rewrite everything the president and the managers (let
    > alone the other retards) wrote because they were all illiterate
    > morons.

    We cant all be skilled in all areas :)

    Glad you liked 'Jesus General' btw...I found a few years back and was
    amazed at the accuracy of it. FYI he keeps a close eye on his connection
    logs and found that the DoD was *very* interested in his site.
    Nice country, huh?
    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 27, 2009
  14. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > craksplanet prolly has wotever yu wont in gfx warez, fyi.
    > ;)

    I don't bother anymore. I have so much shit I never even ever
    installed, and what I tried I usually delete after 5 minutes...
    It's all SO boring by now.

    >>> By then Haiku will be easy to install w/no need for a VM.

    I assume Haiku is version of BeOS? Linux?

    > Arg...now i need to learn how to look at binaries.
    > Yeah...never use that aspect of usenet. Stunned?

    Is all this a huge game or something? You have GOT to be lying
    now.

    >> <SNIP>

    >>> If you can code that kind of social retardation is
    >>> completely acceptable. AS long as you an churn out really
    >>> good code. The dev world is full of peeps like that :)

    >> I didn't code, I'm not a programmer, but I had to
    >> correct/rewrite everything the president and the managers
    >> (let alone the other retards) wrote because they were all
    >> illiterate morons.
    >>

    > We cant all be skilled in all areas :)

    No but morons are MOST annoying, especially when you do 1/3 of
    their work and they get paid 5x what you do just because they
    lied about everything on their resume and in their interview.

    > Glad you liked 'Jesus General' btw...I found a few years
    > back and was amazed at the accuracy of it. FYI he keeps a
    > close eye on his connection logs and found that the DoD was
    > *very* interested in his site. Nice country, huh?

    No news to me... I am horrified by what is going on... I don't
    even want to KNOW anymore, to be honest. Just give me some books
    and opera to listen to.

    thanatoid, Mar 28, 2009
  15. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >

    >> craksplanet prolly has wotever yu wont in gfx warez, fyi.
    >> ;)

    > I don't bother anymore. I have so much shit I never even ever
    > installed, and what I tried I usually delete after 5 minutes...
    > It's all SO boring by now.

    Yeh...I got a cd's wortj of warez and only use one proggy or two on it.
    Things improve and something better is always replacing it.

    > I assume Haiku is version of BeOS? Linux?

    Haiku is the "open source" port of BeOS. BeOS was bought by Palm in
    2000-01 and quickly killed.

    >> Arg...now i need to learn how to look at binaries.
    >> Yeah...never use that aspect of usenet. Stunned?

    > Is all this a huge game or something? You have GOT to be lying
    > now.

    Noep. Been on the interwebs for 9 years...10? Still dont IM anyone...no
    ICQ...no webpages authored by me...no blog...All I do is text bsed
    usenet...but I'm all over that...got at least four NG's created in my honor.
    ^_^

    >>> <SNIP>

    >>> I didn't code, I'm not a programmer, but I had to
    >>> correct/rewrite everything the president and the managers
    >>> (let alone the other retards) wrote because they were all
    >>> illiterate morons.
    >>>

    >> We cant all be skilled in all areas :)

    > No but morons are MOST annoying, especially when you do 1/3 of
    > their work and they get paid 5x what you do just because they
    > lied about everything on their resume and in their interview.

    I'm bitter too. LETS BE BITTER TOGETHER!!!
    :)
    In my last job I did physical labor and made less than the office
    manager who answered phones and smoked the chronic in his new Jeep
    Cherokee. I knew 10x what the managers did about upholstery cleaning,
    water damage remediation etc. Didnt get more pay though.

    >> Glad you liked 'Jesus General' btw...I found a few years
    >> back and was amazed at the accuracy of it. FYI he keeps a
    >> close eye on his connection logs and found that the DoD was
    >> *very* interested in his site. Nice country, huh?

    > No news to me... I am horrified by what is going on... I don't
    > even want to KNOW anymore, to be honest. Just give me some books
    > and opera to listen to.

    Theres a line in All Creatures Great and Small where the older vetrinarian

    says" life dosn't bear close inspection, James, best to keep busy".

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 28, 2009
  16. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    >> I assume Haiku is version of BeOS? Linux?
    >>

    > Haiku is the "open source" port of BeOS. BeOS was bought by
    > Palm in 2000-01 and quickly killed.

    What a fucking big surprise. This world really BLOWS.

    >>> Arg...now i need to learn how to look at binaries.
    >>> Yeah...never use that aspect of usenet. Stunned?

    >> Is all this a huge game or something? You have GOT to be
    >> lying now.
    >>

    > Noep. Been on the interwebs for 9 years...10? Still dont IM
    > anyone

    Dangerous and pointless. The whole reaosn to be on the net is to
    AVOIUD poeple!

    ....no ICQ

    As above.

    ....no webpages authored by me

    Good for you. The WWW is a fucking curse.
    ....no blog

    Of course. The arrogance of people who think anybody but them
    reads them!

    ....All I do is text bsed usenet...but I'm all over
    > that...got at least four NG's created in my honor. ^_^

    WHat are they?

    Do you get binary groups? The ASCII progs and the two Cowlpand
    photos are worth getting/seeing.
    I want to read your comment on the Marlen Cowpland's dog!!!

    <SNIP>

    >> No but morons are MOST annoying, especially when you do
    >> 1/3 of their work and they get paid 5x what you do just
    >> because they lied about everything on their resume and in
    >> their interview.
    >>

    > I'm bitter too. LETS BE BITTER TOGETHER!!!
    >:)

    DEAL!

    > In my last job I did physical labor and made less than the
    > office manager who answered phones and smoked the chronic
    > in his new Jeep Cherokee. I knew 10x what the managers did
    > about upholstery cleaning, water damage remediation etc.
    > Didnt get more pay though.

    Of course. The stupidest person, and the best liar, get the most
    money.

    <SNIP>

    > Theres a line in All Creatures Great and Small where the
    > older vetrinarian
    >
    > says" life dosn't bear close inspection, James, best to
    > keep busy".

    Very good line.

    thanatoid, Mar 28, 2009
  17. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >>> I assume Haiku is version of BeOS? Linux?
    >>>

    >> Haiku is the "open source" port of BeOS. BeOS was bought by
    >> Palm in 2000-01 and quickly killed.

    > What a fucking big surprise. This world really BLOWS.

    Something to do with some similar code to the Palm OS because the BE
    team worked on it originally...IIRC.

    >>> Is all this a huge game or something? You have GOT to be
    >>> lying now.
    >>>

    >> Noep. Been on the interwebs for 9 years...10? Still dont IM
    >> anyone

    > Dangerous and pointless. The whole reaosn to be on the net is to
    > AVOIUD poeple!

    Very good at that. Did AIM for a few months and got too annoyed w/it.
    > ...no ICQ
    >
    > As above.
    >
    > ...no webpages authored by me
    >
    > Good for you. The WWW is a fucking curse.

    Wha? Its prefectly Cromulent...you need better bookmarks.
    http://wikileaks.org/
    www.hackaday.com

    > ...no blog
    >
    > Of course. The arrogance of people who think anybody but them
    > reads them!
    >
    > ...All I do is text bsed usenet...but I'm all over
    >> that...got at least four NG's created in my honor. ^_^

    > WHat are they?

    alt.fan.zenwolf
    alt.genius.snuhwolf
    alt.snuhwolf
    I guess its THREE :)

    > Do you get binary groups? The ASCII progs and the two Cowlpand
    > photos are worth getting/seeing.
    > I want to read your comment on the Marlen Cowpland's dog!!!

    She had a pink poodle it seems. Sounds kinda stupid.
    Found this:
    http://nikart.ca/painting/2/9.html

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> No but morons are MOST annoying, especially when you do
    >>> 1/3 of their work and they get paid 5x what you do just
    >>> because they lied about everything on their resume and in
    >>> their interview.
    >>>

    >> I'm bitter too. LETS BE BITTER TOGETHER!!!
    >> :)

    > DEAL!
    >
    >> In my last job I did physical labor and made less than the
    >> office manager who answered phones and smoked the chronic
    >> in his new Jeep Cherokee. I knew 10x what the managers did
    >> about upholstery cleaning, water damage remediation etc.
    >> Didnt get more pay though.

    > Of course. The stupidest person, and the best liar, get the most
    > money.

    HE was a Very Good liar :)
    Salesmen always are.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Theres a line in All Creatures Great and Small where the
    >> older vetrinarian
    >>
    >> says" life dosn't bear close inspection, James, best to
    >> keep busy".

    > Very good line.

    Sort of a roundabout way of saying 'ignorance is bliss'.

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 29, 2009
  18. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    >>> Haiku is the "open source" port of BeOS. BeOS was bought
    >>> by Palm in 2000-01 and quickly killed.

    > > What a fucking big surprise. This world really BLOWS.

    > Something to do with some similar code to the Palm OS
    > because the BE team worked on it originally...IIRC.

    OK then.

    >> Do you get binary groups? The ASCII progs and the two
    >> Cowlpand photos are worth getting/seeing.
    >> I want to read your comment on the Marlen Cowpland's
    >> dog!!!
    >>

    > She had a pink poodle it seems. Sounds kinda stupid.

    I would use a stronger term, like animal abuse.

    > Found this:
    > http://nikart.ca/painting/2/9.html

    Great painting.

    >>> says" life dosn't bear close inspection, James, best to
    >>> keep busy".

    >> Very good line.
    >>

    > Sort of a roundabout way of saying 'ignorance is bliss'.

    Which it is, I am sorry to say.

    Any luck with the ASCII progs?

    t.
    thanatoid, Mar 30, 2009
  19. thanatoid wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    >>> What a fucking big surprise. This world really BLOWS.

    >> Something to do with some similar code to the Palm OS
    >> because the BE team worked on it originally...IIRC.

    > OK then.
    >
    >>> Do you get binary groups? The ASCII progs and the two
    >>> Cowlpand photos are worth getting/seeing.
    >>> I want to read your comment on the Marlen Cowpland's
    >>> dog!!!
    >>>

    >> She had a pink poodle it seems. Sounds kinda stupid.

    > I would use a stronger term, like animal abuse.

    Depends on how the dye job was done.
    RSPCA would be aware of her dog I'm sure :)

    >> Found this:
    >> http://nikart.ca/painting/2/9.html

    > Great painting.

    Like picasso on crack...

    >>> Very good line.
    >>>

    >> Sort of a roundabout way of saying 'ignorance is bliss'.

    > Which it is, I am sorry to say.
    >
    > Any luck with the ASCII progs?
    >
    > t.

    Ive run out of givadamn about ASCII lately :)

    Short attention spa....

    ZOMG! ITS SNOWING AGAIN!

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 30, 2009
  20. Jim S

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

> [...]

    Just bought a 2 year old used Western Digital 80GB for $35. Made
    in Malaysia, should be OK,. I will run a test on it, and make a
    partitions for Linux and Haiku. I have a version of BeOS from
    some magazine from 200 but I don't know how useful it will be.
    Haiku sounds good.

    <SNIP>

    >>> She had a pink poodle it seems. Sounds kinda stupid.

    >> I would use a stronger term, like animal abuse.
    >>

    > Depends on how the dye job was done.
    > RSPCA would be aware of her dog I'm sure :)
    >
    >>> Found this:
    >>> http://nikart.ca/painting/2/9.html

    >> Great painting.
    >>

    > Like picasso on crack...

    Exactly. Although a lot of his stuff l;ooks like he was into
    stronger stuff. That's the power of real art.

    <SNIP>

    >> Any luck with the ASCII progs?
    >>
    >> t.

    > Ive run out of givadamn about ASCII lately :)
    >
    > Short attention spa....

    Well, at least you have them for when you feel like it...

    > ZOMG! ITS SNOWING AGAIN!

    I miss snow.

    thanatoid, Mar 31, 2009