    work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics, maybe
    some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
    hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...." ;)
    Brandy, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Brandy

    GTS Guest

    The freeze treatment, oddly enough, does sometimes work. Put the drive in a
    moisture proof plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for a few hours.
    Have the new drive installed and bootable as master and put in the failing
    one as a slave. (This is important because it likely has some damaged
    sectors and may or may not be bootable.) If the drive is accessible copy
    the files off it quickly as it may fail again at any moment. If this does
    not work, it would have to be sent to a data recovery service which is
    extremely expensive. It's sometimes worth it for business data, but
    doubtful for pictures and music.
    --

    "Brandy" <> wrote in message
    > I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
    > it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
    > went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

    of
    > the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

    will

    GTS, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Brandy

    ProfGene Guest

    You might try making it a slave in another computer or in the same one when
    you get a new drive and see if it can be read then copy what you need if it
    can to the new drive or burn it onto a cd if you dont' want to leave it on
    the drive you copy it to. If it cannot be read you might resort to the
    freezing trick but if nothing works it costs money to lift data from a shot
    drive as there are companies that will do it for you at a price.

    ProfGene, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Brandy

    philo Guest

    "Brandy" <> wrote in message
    > I have a friend whose harddrive decided to go tits up on her. At power on,
    > it makes constant clicking noises and cannot boot. I'm pretty sure the HD
    > went, and I have another to install, but the question is, can i save any

    of
    > the data on the drive? I have heard I can freeze the drive and maybe it

    will
    > work for a bit, and that's fine. I just want to try to save her pics,

    maybe
    > some music, then we can toss it. Any tried-and-true theories appreciated,
    > hell, I'll even try a "maybe if ya do this...." ;)

    i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
    usually did not work...
    i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

    also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several hours.
    it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
    burn-in... it became
    usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data
    philo, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Brandy

    Kenny Guest

    Maybe something here:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5029761.html

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Brandy

    Denis MICHEL Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
    > usually did not work...
    > i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

    :)

    > also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several hours.
    > it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
    > burn-in... it became
    > usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data

    Oh ... so, if the "freezer" method fail, I can try the "oven" method, that's it ?
    Denis MICHEL, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Brandy

    philo Guest

    "Denis MICHEL" <> wrote in message
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > > i have tried the "freezer" method about half a dozen times and though it
    > > usually did not work...
    > > i was lucky once...so it won't hurt to try it

    > :)
    >
    > > also...on an other occasion i just let a bad drive run for several

    hours.
    > > it was initially unreadable to to crc errors...but after about a 6 hour
    > > burn-in... it became
    > > usable enough for me to recover about 99% of the data

    > Oh ... so, if the "freezer" method fail, I can try the "oven" method,

    that's it ?

    may not work but still worth a try
    philo, Jun 3, 2004