    can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 27, 2005

  2. In article <426f10d3$>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Collector=BBNZ?= <> wrote:
    >Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
    >> And how would you get it back into the computer?
    >>

    >If you had visited the op original link you would see that
    >it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
    >into comp type data.

    Does it have a silverfish driver ? :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out data
    > onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black squares)? All I
    > can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

    I got this new fandangled thing called a printer, it comes with some
    software called a driver, and, the data is human readable(assuming that
    humans can read english).

    soryy, couldn't help myself... and neither can anyone else.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a recent program which allows you to print out
    >> data onto paper (It gets encoded as columns of white or black
    >> squares)? All I can find is the ancient www.paperdisk.com.

    > I got this new fandangled thing called a printer, it comes with some
    > software called a driver, and, the data is human readable(assuming that
    > humans can read english).
    >
    > soryy, couldn't help myself... and neither can anyone else.

    Thanks, but I'm talking about printing out binary data: applications,
    backups and compressed files. You can get a few megs of data on each
    page with a black and white printer, multiply by at least 4 with a
    colour one.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Nicholas Sherlock

    Hank Guest

    And how would you get it back into the computer?
    Hank, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
    > And how would you get it back into the computer?

    If you had visited the op original link you would see that
    it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
    into comp type data.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
    Collector»NZ, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Hank wrote:
    > And how would you get it back into the computer?

    Dont snip so much please... keep the messages in context.

    Scan it?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  8. Nicholas Sherlock

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:11:19 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Hank said the following on 27/04/2005 4:08 p.m.:
    >> And how would you get it back into the computer?
    >>

    > If you had visited the op original link you would see that
    > it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
    > into comp type data.

    jebus!
    I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

    Shane, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Shane wrote:
    >>>And how would you get it back into the computer?

    >>If you had visited the op original link you would see that
    >>it is scanned and interpreted by a program to turn it back
    >>into comp type data.

    > jebus!
    > I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

    actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> jebus!
    >> I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

    > actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    > physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

    sorry, only a few MB per page... but from nicks later post...
    "multiply by at least 4 with a colour one"

    so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

    I wonder if you could then scan as jpeg, compress into zip and reprint
    to paper?

    endless compression... bring on the perpetual motion... I knew it was
    possible.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    > physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

    And you could probably double-side them too :). If I can't find any
    software, I may just have to write some, since this would be a fun thing
    to play with.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 27, 2005
  12. Nicholas Sherlock

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:32:54 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> jebus!
    >>> I thought they had outlawed punch card systems years ago

    >> actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    >> physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

    > sorry, only a few MB per page... but from nicks later post...
    > "multiply by at least 4 with a colour one"
    >
    > so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.
    >
    > I wonder if you could then scan as jpeg, compress into zip and reprint
    > to paper?
    >
    > endless compression... bring on the perpetual motion... I knew it was
    > possible.

    imagine a linux distro sent out on paper
    the poor postie would have a broken back coming to my house

    Shane, Apr 27, 2005
  13. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    >> physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

    > And you could probably double-side them too :). If I can't find any
    > software, I may just have to write some, since this would be a fun thing
    > to play with.

    the backups might take a bit longer if they had to be found and then
    scanned in...

    "I need page 43975"
    "ummm, a rat has eaten the corner off"
    "crap, why didn't we just use Tape"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  14. Shane wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:32:54 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

    > imagine a linux distro sent out on paper
    > the poor postie would have a broken back coming to my house

    Are you sure? 1400/16 gives just 88 sheets of paper. There are normally
    200 sheets of paper in a ream, are there not?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 27, 2005
  15. Nicholas Sherlock

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:37:13 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:32:54 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

    >> imagine a linux distro sent out on paper
    >> the poor postie would have a broken back coming to my house

    > Are you sure? 1400/16 gives just 88 sheets of paper. There are normally
    > 200 sheets of paper in a ream, are there not?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    debian is 6 cds @ ~ 600 MB per cd isnt it?
    therefore
    (hang on i need to take me shoes off)
    shit thats only 225 sheets
    and a ream is 500 sheets isnt it?

    Shane, Apr 27, 2005
  16. Nicholas Sherlock

    Matthias Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Thanks, but I'm talking about printing out binary data: applications,
    > backups and compressed files.

    Just uuencode it first...

    ;-)

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Apr 27, 2005
  17. Shane wrote:

    >>>actually at 4MB for a piece of paper, it's probably cheaper to
    >>>physically mail p2p than to use Jetstream... might even be quicker too.

    >>sorry, only a few MB per page... but from nicks later post...
    >>"multiply by at least 4 with a colour one"
    >>so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

    > imagine a linux distro sent out on paper
    > the poor postie would have a broken back coming to my house

    umm, 100 sheets, 1.6GB, I dont see the problem.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005
  18. Nicholas Sherlock

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:46:22 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>sorry, only a few MB per page... but from nicks later post...
    >>>"multiply by at least 4 with a colour one"
    >>>so thats ~8MB per side, 16MB per A4 sheet, thats pretty good.

    >> imagine a linux distro sent out on paper
    >> the poor postie would have a broken back coming to my house

    > umm, 100 sheets, 1.6GB, I dont see the problem.

    will there be zoned printers and scanners to stop worldwide illegal file
    trading?

    Shane, Apr 27, 2005
  19. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:37:13 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock
    <> wrote in <news:d4n4ua$f6d$>:

    > Are you sure? 1400/16 gives just 88 sheets of paper. There are normally
    > 200 sheets of paper in a ream, are there not?

    No, 500.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... One often gets much more than one asks for - not all of it necessarily
    good.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 27, 2005
  20. Nicholas Sherlock

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:08:27 -0700, Hank wrote:

    > And how would you get it back into the computer?

    Oooh Ooooh Pick me, I know !
    Cut it into little pieces and post it through the slots in the front ?
    shannon, Apr 27, 2005