SAVE HD-DVD Almost 32,000 signed and counting.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robb, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Robb

    Robb Guest

    Robb, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Robb

    Tarkus Guest

    Robb wrote:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?SAVEHDD
    >
    > Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
    >
    > I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.

    Yes we do. Competition among manufacturers and studios. Not
    competition among formats, where people take a wait and see attitude,
    because they don't want to be stuck with a doorstop.

    > I'm all for multi formats.

    Yeah, it worked so well for DVD-A and SACD.

    Tarkus, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Robb

    Jer Guest

    Jer, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Robb

    Guest

    On Jan 30, 9:03 am, "Robb" <> wrote:
    > I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
    > I'm all for multi formats.

    Yeah, since DVD was the only game in town, it was clearly a miserable
    failure.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Jan 30, 2008
  5. Robb

    Agent_C Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:03:27 GMT, "Robb" <> wrote:

    >I'm all for multi formats.

    What are you; some kind of a moron???

    A_C

    Agent_C, Jan 30, 2008
  6. Robb

    Tarkus Guest

    Agent_C wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:03:27 GMT, "Robb" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm all for multi formats.

    > What are you; some kind of a moron???

    Was that a rhetorical question?

    Tarkus, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Robb

    Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Jan 30, 9:03 am, "Robb" <> wrote:
    > I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
    > I'm all for multi formats.

    Yeah, since DVD was the only game in town, it was clearly a miserable
    failure.

    ===============================
    And DVD only REALLY took off when DivX died!

    Richard C., Jan 30, 2008
  8. Robb <> wrote:

    > Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.

    In the marketplace, the only signatures that count are those on checks
    and credit card slips. Had those appeared on more HD DVD disc purchases
    over the past two years, the format war might look different now. In any
    case, it's pretty much over except for Toshiba's formal surrender. The
    bulk of the computer and consumer electronics industries had already
    chosen Blu-ray. The 2007 sales figures for high def discs [1] tipped
    Warner, and Warner's decision has now tipped consumers decisively.

    HD DVD's only real advantage, lower media manufacturing costs, never
    showed up at the retail level; and consumers knew that they only had to
    wait a while for the hardware prices to drop. Had Toshiba made players
    available for less than $200 during the Christmas 2006 buying season, HD
    DVD _might_ have been able to achieve a quick victory -- the only way it
    could have won this war.

    [1] <http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=2249>

    Neill Massello, Jan 30, 2008
  9. Jer wrote:
    > Robb wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?SAVEHDD
    >>
    >> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
    >>
    >> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
    >> I'm all for multi formats.
    >>

    > Hate to rain on your parade but....
    >
    > http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

    One Wired columnist, however, has now gone public with the National
    Metaphor for Toshiba/HD's current state:
    http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/01/hey-hd-dvd-its.html

    Derek Janssen (why not, everyone ELSE was using it)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 30, 2008
  10. Robb

    Mark Jones Guest

    Robb wrote:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?SAVEHDD
    >
    > Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
    >
    > I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
    > I'm all for multi formats.

    You save it by buying the players and discs, not by signing some
    stupid petition.

    Mark Jones, Jan 31, 2008
  11. Robb

    Guest

    On Jan 30, 4:02 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > One Wired columnist, however, has now gone public with the National
    > Metaphor for Toshiba/HD's current state:http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/01/hey-hd-dvd-its.html

    Yeah, but, to be fair, the knight didn't have a tiny clique of early
    adopters standing behind it, saying "Well, if we give away sixteen
    free movies, and sell players for $43, and start an ad campaign to
    tell people that the PS3 is a terrorist weapon and Sony wants to rape
    your dog... well then people will HAVE to see the light! All HD-DVD
    has to do is hold out for six months, and the tide will turn! The
    studios won't be able to afford not supporting a format that basically
    can't even be given away!"

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Jan 31, 2008
  12. Robb

    Jim Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Robb wrote:
    >> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?SAVEHDD
    >>
    >> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
    >>
    >> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
    >> I'm all for multi formats.

    > You save it by buying the players and discs, not by signing some
    > stupid petition.

    Just think if everyone who signed it went out and bought a player. Or even a
    couple of movies.
    THEN they might be making some noise.

    Jim, Jan 31, 2008
  13. Robb

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Jim <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Just think if everyone who signed it went out and bought a player. Or even a
    > couple of movies.
    > THEN they might be making some noise.

    I'm guessing most of those 30+ thousand already own a HD-DVD player - and
    many probably also own a blu-ray player as well.

    Besides which, if 30,000 sales worldwide was going to make that big of a
    difference, then the format/product is already a failure.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 31, 2008
  14. Robb

    Lyrik Guest

    Den 31.01.2008 kl. 14:40 skrev <>:

    > On Jan 30, 4:02 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >>
    >> One Wired columnist, however, has now gone public with the National
    >> Metaphor for Toshiba/HD's current
    >> state:http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/01/hey-hd-dvd-its.html

    > Yeah, but, to be fair, the knight didn't have a tiny clique of early
    > adopters standing behind it, saying "Well, if we give away sixteen
    > free movies, and sell players for $43, and start an ad campaign to
    > tell people that the PS3 is a terrorist weapon and Sony wants to rape
    > your dog... well then people will HAVE to see the light! All HD-DVD
    > has to do is hold out for six months, and the tide will turn! The
    > studios won't be able to afford not supporting a format that basically

    Or maybe consumers are not on a holy crusade for Blu-Ray? Maybe they will
    just go for the best bargain? Allthough it is not Blu-Ray!?
    --
    Greetings from Jens "Lyrik" Bech.

    Lyrik, Jan 31, 2008
  15. Lyrik wrote:

    > Den 31.01.2008 kl. 14:40 skrev <>:
    >
    >> On Jan 30, 4:02 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> One Wired columnist, however, has now gone public with the National
    >>> Metaphor for Toshiba/HD's current
    >>> state:http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/01/hey-hd-dvd-its.html

    >> Yeah, but, to be fair, the knight didn't have a tiny clique of early
    >> adopters standing behind it, saying "Well, if we give away sixteen
    >> free movies, and sell players for $43, and start an ad campaign to
    >> tell people that the PS3 is a terrorist weapon and Sony wants to rape
    >> your dog... well then people will HAVE to see the light! All HD-DVD
    >> has to do is hold out for six months, and the tide will turn! The
    >> studios won't be able to afford not supporting a format that basically

    "I'm INVINCIBLE!"
    "You're a looney..."

    > Or maybe consumers are not on a holy crusade for Blu-Ray? Maybe they
    > will just go for the best bargain?

    (...He don't KNOW us very well, DO he?) ;)

    Derek Janssen (I've seen holy crusades, and Blu's frightens even me)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 31, 2008
  16. Robb

    Jim Guest

    "Doug Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.video.dvd Jim <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Just think if everyone who signed it went out and bought a player. Or
    >> even a
    >> couple of movies.
    >> THEN they might be making some noise.

    > I'm guessing most of those 30+ thousand already own a HD-DVD player - and
    > many probably also own a blu-ray player as well.
    >
    > Besides which, if 30,000 sales worldwide was going to make that big of a
    > difference, then the format/product is already a failure.

    Bought 2 players, 4 movies and signed their name twice....??
    ;)

    Jim, Feb 1, 2008