Save Data From OS Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Norm Start, Jan 12, 2009.

  1. Norm Start

    Norm Start Guest

    My old computer crashed. It was a P-III with Windows XP Professional SP3
    which was running quite well. Then when I came back the monitor was blank
    but some normal noise was still coming from the case. I shut it down and
    looked inside the case. There were little flakes of gold solder, some
    little jumper plugs with plastic handles and quite a few little silver
    solder particles at the bottom of the case. Tried to re-start it but only
    could get some hard drive spinning and some beeps from the case. I think
    the mainboard burned or shorted out from the dust and ant carcasses.

    I think I might be able to get the data from the hard drive because it
    seems to make normal noise and nothing seems burned or smoked. I hope I
    can. It is a Western Digital 120 gigabyte 7200 RPM model. I hope I can
    remove it, put it in a spare slot in a newer computer and save the data
    files. Perhaps I can use it for storage?

    Is this so? How should I set it with its jumper pins? Can someone who has
    done this provide some help and ideas?

    Thank you for any assistance.

    Norm Start, Jan 12, 2009

  2. Norm Start

    pimpom Guest

    Norm Start wrote:
    > My old computer crashed. It was a P-III with Windows XP
    > Professional
    > SP3 which was running quite well. Then when I came back the
    > monitor
    > was blank but some normal noise was still coming from the case.
    > shut it down and looked inside the case. There were little
    > flakes of
    > gold solder, some little jumper plugs with plastic handles and
    > quite
    > a few little silver solder particles at the bottom of the case.
    > Tried
    > to re-start it but only could get some hard drive spinning and
    > some
    > beeps from the case. I think the mainboard burned or shorted
    > out from
    > the dust and ant carcasses.
    >
    > I think I might be able to get the data from the hard drive
    > because it
    > seems to make normal noise and nothing seems burned or smoked.
    > I hope
    > I can. It is a Western Digital 120 gigabyte 7200 RPM model. I
    > hope I
    > can remove it, put it in a spare slot in a newer computer and
    > save
    > the data files. Perhaps I can use it for storage?
    >
    > Is this so? How should I set it with its jumper pins? Can
    > someone who
    > has done this provide some help and ideas?

    You're headed in the right direction. But here are a few points
    you have to check.

    The 120GB hard drive must be an IDE (also called PATA) drive. If
    your other computer is fairly new, the motherboard may have only
    one IDE port (instead of two on older boards) to which you can
    connect two IDE devices. If you have only one device - perhaps a
    DVD writer - connected to that IDE cable, then yes, you can
    attach your old 120GB drive to it.

    Re the jumper: When you attach two drives to a single IDE cable,
    one of them has to be Master and the other Slave. There are two
    ways of doing this. You can use jumpers to set one as Master and
    the other as Slave. Or you can set the jumpers on both drives to
    "Cable select" and which one is Master or Slave will be
    automatically determined by their position on the cable. Jumper
    positions are usually marked on the drives.

    pimpom, Jan 12, 2009

  3. Norm Start

    Norm Start Guest

    "pimpom" <> parented this using

    > Norm Start wrote:
    >> My old computer crashed. It was a P-III with Windows XP
    >> Professional
    >> SP3 which was running quite well. Then when I came back the
    >> monitor
    >> was blank but some normal noise was still coming from the case.
    >> shut it down and looked inside the case. There were little
    >> flakes of
    >> gold solder, some little jumper plugs with plastic handles and
    >> quite
    >> a few little silver solder particles at the bottom of the case.
    >> Tried
    >> to re-start it but only could get some hard drive spinning and
    >> some
    >> beeps from the case. I think the mainboard burned or shorted
    >> out from
    >> the dust and ant carcasses.
    >>
    >> I think I might be able to get the data from the hard drive
    >> because it
    >> seems to make normal noise and nothing seems burned or smoked.
    >> I hope
    >> I can. It is a Western Digital 120 gigabyte 7200 RPM model. I
    >> hope I
    >> can remove it, put it in a spare slot in a newer computer and
    >> save
    >> the data files. Perhaps I can use it for storage?
    >>
    >> Is this so? How should I set it with its jumper pins? Can
    >> someone who
    >> has done this provide some help and ideas?
    >>

    > You're headed in the right direction. But here are a few points
    > you have to check.
    >
    > The 120GB hard drive must be an IDE (also called PATA) drive. If
    > your other computer is fairly new, the motherboard may have only
    > one IDE port (instead of two on older boards) to which you can
    > connect two IDE devices. If you have only one device - perhaps a
    > DVD writer - connected to that IDE cable, then yes, you can
    > attach your old 120GB drive to it.
    >
    > Re the jumper: When you attach two drives to a single IDE cable,
    > one of them has to be Master and the other Slave. There are two
    > ways of doing this. You can use jumpers to set one as Master and
    > the other as Slave. Or you can set the jumpers on both drives to
    > "Cable select" and which one is Master or Slave will be
    > automatically determined by their position on the cable. Jumper
    > positions are usually marked on the drives.

    Thank you.

    Norm Start, Jan 12, 2009