Save Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ramiro, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Ramiro

    Ramiro Guest

    Hello, Ive Been using mozilla for a quite a long period of time, I was
    useing 1.4beta Complete Install, runing over Windows XP Prof. And somehow
    after a power failure it doesnt open any more (Just Mozilla all the other
    works fine so it cant be hard disk damage). Ive try to open it in safe mode,
    but it doesn't work.
    Ive also try it in another user acount but it is the same, The startup
    screen of the mozilla browser apears for about 2 sec. and when it should
    apear it doesn't :-(
    The problem is that I don't have a back up of the bookmarks and it is
    necesary for my to restore that data. Ive try to reinstall mozilla in a
    diferent folder and in that case it opens and works fine, but there are no
    bookmarks. I need to know if there is any way to restore my bookmarks form
    the folder (if there is one) where mozilla stores them (ej: Iexplorer saves
    them im C:/Documents and Settings/User/Favoritos Spanish install of XP). I
    think the mozilla folder should be C:/Documents and Settings/User/Program
    Data/Mozilla/Profiles but i coulnt find any bookmarks there ( exept for
    thouse wich where imported from IExplorer wich of course are just 2 fu#$%&
    pages because i was using mozilla in an HTML file name bookmarks), just in
    case i made a copy of these dir and the mozilla.org dir in Program Files to
    my desk (these was even before trying to reinstall mozilla again). Also I
    have just one restore point wich was made after the power failure #$%"%$ So
    its imposible to just go back and restore windows...
    I just need to save the bookmarks (because they have a lot of pages for my
    work) but as i can't open mozilla i can't export them.
    If anyone could give my a hint. Thanks for all.
    Ramiro

    Ramiro, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Ramiro

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ramiro wrote:

    > Hello, Ive Been using mozilla for a quite a long period of time, I was
    > useing 1.4beta Complete Install, runing over Windows XP Prof. And somehow
    > after a power failure it doesnt open any more (Just Mozilla all the other
    > works fine so it cant be hard disk damage). Ive try to open it in safe mode,
    > but it doesn't work.
    > Ive also try it in another user acount but it is the same, The startup
    > screen of the mozilla browser apears for about 2 sec. and when it should
    > apear it doesn't :-(
    > The problem is that I don't have a back up of the bookmarks and it is
    > necesary for my to restore that data. Ive try to reinstall mozilla in a
    > diferent folder and in that case it opens and works fine, but there are no
    > bookmarks. I need to know if there is any way to restore my bookmarks form
    > the folder (if there is one) where mozilla stores them (ej: Iexplorer saves
    > them im C:/Documents and Settings/User/Favoritos Spanish install of XP). I
    > think the mozilla folder should be C:/Documents and Settings/User/Program
    > Data/Mozilla/Profiles but i coulnt find any bookmarks there ( exept for
    > thouse wich where imported from IExplorer wich of course are just 2 fu#$%&
    > pages because i was using mozilla in an HTML file name bookmarks), just in
    > case i made a copy of these dir and the mozilla.org dir in Program Files to
    > my desk (these was even before trying to reinstall mozilla again). Also I
    > have just one restore point wich was made after the power failure #$%"%$ So
    > its imposible to just go back and restore windows...
    > I just need to save the bookmarks (because they have a lot of pages for my
    > work) but as i can't open mozilla i can't export them.
    > If anyone could give my a hint. Thanks for all.
    > Ramiro

    Ramiro

    Considering that Mozilla is up to 1.7 now, I would really suggest that retaining an old BETA version is somewhat perplexing.

    Nonetheless, your bookmarks are stored in your profile folder, which is separate from your program folder (or directory). You can back up the entire profile directory, or just those files you consider necessary, you can copy bookmarks from one profile to another as well.

    The bookmark file is called, surprisingly enough, bookmarks.html <g>
    Its located within the profile folder
    On Windows, the precise location of the profiles depends on the specific OS in use
    Windows

    On Windows 95 or Windows 98 without log-in, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME with log-in, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Windows\Profiles\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    On Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the profile directory is typically
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[User Profile]\[random string].slt\

    Note: on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Document and Settings directory is hidden twice. To access the directory, enable Windows Explorer to view System and Hidden directories and files.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Jun 25, 2004