    Christchurch, New Zealand
    www.alastair.net.nz
    My reply to address is low priority and responses may be delayed.

    Alastair, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Alastair

    brundlefly Guest

    "Alastair" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >
    > To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    > directly from the decoder to my amplifier?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Alastair.
    > Christchurch, New Zealand
    > www.alastair.net.nz
    > My reply to address is low priority and responses may be delayed.

    You need to use the RF output into a Nicam receiver.

    brundlefly, Apr 28, 2004

  3. Alastair

    Bok Guest

    Alastair wrote:
    > A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >
    > To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    > directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    I run the RF output from the decoder into a NICAM VCR and A/V from the
    VCR into an HT amp. I think I tried the RCA A/V outputs on the back and
    they didn't work.

    Bok, Apr 28, 2004
  4. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:57:35 +1200, "Alastair" <> wrote:

    >A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >
    >To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    >directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    Not on Cable it was dropped, only on Digital from memory.

    But not much stuff is transmitted in Nicam..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 28, 2004
  5. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:12:50 +1200, "brundlefly" <> wrote:

    >"Alastair" <> wrote in message
    >> A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >>
    >> To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    >> directly from the decoder to my amplifier?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards, Alastair.
    >> Christchurch, New Zealand
    >> www.alastair.net.nz
    >> My reply to address is low priority and responses may be delayed.
    >>

    >You need to use the RF output into a Nicam receiver.

    Nicam was dropped on Cable..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 28, 2004
  6. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    In <fIJjc.100$> brundlefly wrote:

    > "Alastair" <> wrote in message

    >> A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >> To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a
    >> cable directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    > You need to use the RF output into a Nicam receiver.

    Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that you have to use RF to
    connect to the TV, because I would have thought that using an RCA cable
    to connect to the AV port on the TV would be far easier.

    Oh well, NICAM TVs seem to be pretty cheap these days anyway.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Alastair

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Alastair <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that you have to use RF to
    >connect to the TV, because I would have thought that using an RCA cable
    >to connect to the AV port on the TV would be far easier.

    The Saturn decoder would have to have a NICAM decoder built in - and it
    doesn't. It does pass the NICAM signal through to the RF output. I have mine
    set up so that the video output from the decoder goes directly to the
    monitor, and the RF output goes to a NICAM VCR connected to the amp and
    speakers. (The back of my rack is spaghetti jungle. 2 Saturn decoders, 2
    VCRs, a DVD player, a video monitor and audio amp, plus the switching. RF
    from the decoders and VCRs is combined and fed to the other TVs in the
    house.)

    The majority of the channels are in stereo (actual stereo content most of
    the time). This includes the FTA channels (1/2/3/4/Prime/Maori etc), the
    movie channels, the music channels, Sky 1/Sports and others.

    "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
    national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
    software and decent hardware support."

    Don Hills, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Alastair

    Bok Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:57:35 +1200, "Alastair" <> wrote:
    >

    >>A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >>
    >>To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    >>directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    > Not on Cable it was dropped, only on Digital from memory.
    > But not much stuff is transmitted in Nicam..

    Eh? If it's not NICAM what is it?

    Our NICAM VCR displays a 'stereo' indicator when it detects and decodes
    a stero signal. It does this when I select channel 5 (RF output from
    Saturn decoder) and most of the broadcast channels appear to provide
    stereo signals (just tried it).

    There were distinct stereo sound effects apparent in a movie (or trailer
    I flicked to on TV 3) either direct or via the Saturn decoder.

    Bok, Apr 28, 2004
  9. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:33:52 +1200, Bok <> wrote:

    >The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:57:35 +1200, "Alastair" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >>>
    >>>To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    >>>directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    >> Not on Cable it was dropped, only on Digital from memory.
    >> But not much stuff is transmitted in Nicam..

    >Eh? If it's not NICAM what is it?
    >
    >Our NICAM VCR displays a 'stereo' indicator when it detects and decodes
    >a stero signal. It does this when I select channel 5 (RF output from
    >Saturn decoder) and most of the broadcast channels appear to provide
    >stereo signals (just tried it).
    >
    >There were distinct stereo sound effects apparent in a movie (or trailer
    >I flicked to on TV 3) either direct or via the Saturn decoder.

    Ring and Ask..

    There was a statement made by them that it was being dropped that it was only
    going to be provided on the Digital stuff but I will try and find out
    tomorrow..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 28, 2004
  10. Alastair

    Max Burke Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. scribbled:

    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:12:50 +1200, "brundlefly" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Alastair" <> wrote in message
    >>> A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >>>
    >>> To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    >>> directly from the decoder to my amplifier?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards, Alastair.
    >>> Christchurch, New Zealand
    >>> www.alastair.net.nz
    >>> My reply to address is low priority and responses may be delayed.

    >> You need to use the RF output into a Nicam receiver.

    Correct. The AV out is mono....

    > Nicam was dropped on Cable..

    No it wasn't. It is still available on the FTA channels, UK TV, most of the
    Sky channels....

    Try it. You'll hear nicam stereo audio, like I am right now....

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Apr 28, 2004
  11. Alastair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Alastair" <> wrote in news:1083135507.213350
    @kyle.snap.net.nz:

    > A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >
    > To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    > directly from the decoder to my amplifier?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Alastair.
    > Christchurch, New Zealand
    > www.alastair.net.nz
    > My reply to address is low priority and responses may be delayed.

    I run from my Sky decoder (GE Surfview) L/R RCA to my amp. Sounds great
    now. I use RF for video only as I have turned down the TV speakers.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 28, 2004
  12. Hi there,

    Alastair wrote:
    > A quick question for anyone who has Saturn (TelstraClear) cable TV:
    >
    > To get stereo, do I need to have a NICAM TV, or can I just run a cable
    > directly from the decoder to my amplifier?

    If the decoder has stereo out thats too easy. If the decoder runs via
    RF then you will need a stereo/nicam TV/vcr, and run a stereo RCA lead
    from that back to your amp...

    It sucks how cable transmitted TV here cannot include Dolby Digital or
    DTS audio as an option, as is common overseas...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 29, 2004
  13. "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message

    > If the decoder has stereo out thats too easy. If the decoder runs via
    > RF then you will need a stereo/nicam TV/vcr, and run a stereo RCA lead
    > from that back to your amp...

    Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.

    I hear that saturn is ment to be offering a digital service soon?? Mabey
    that may provide stereo out - And a better picture I hope!! My picture on
    the rabbits ears is much clearer than through cable!! (Probably helps that
    I live close to the transmitter too...)

    Peter Jenkins, Apr 30, 2004
  14. Alastair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Peter Jenkins" <0.nz> wrote in news:XLkkc.440
    $:

    > Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    > them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    > disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.

    This just does not sound correct to me. I swear that I get stereo from my
    decoder's RCA outputs! Maybe your box is bunged. I would call them up!
    It is not like you bought the box is it, rental means service.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 30, 2004
  15. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    In <XLkkc.440$> Peter Jenkins wrote:

    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message

    >> If the decoder has stereo out thats too easy. If the decoder runs via
    >> RF then you will need a stereo/nicam TV/vcr, and run a stereo RCA
    >> lead from that back to your amp...

    > Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    > them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    > disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.
    >
    > I hear that saturn is ment to be offering a digital service soon??
    > Mabey that may provide stereo out - And a better picture I hope!! My
    > picture on the rabbits ears is much clearer than through cable!! (
    > Probably helps that I live close to the transmitter too...)

    Isn't Saturn delivered via fibre optic cable? In which case, wouldn't it
    be a digital signal anyway?

    Alastair, Apr 30, 2004
  16. On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:38:17 GMT, Alastair <> wrote:

    >In <XLkkc.440$> Peter Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the decoder has stereo out thats too easy. If the decoder runs via
    >>> RF then you will need a stereo/nicam TV/vcr, and run a stereo RCA
    >>> lead from that back to your amp...

    >> Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    >> them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    >> disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.
    >>
    >> I hear that saturn is ment to be offering a digital service soon??
    >> Mabey that may provide stereo out - And a better picture I hope!! My
    >> picture on the rabbits ears is much clearer than through cable!! (
    >> Probably helps that I live close to the transmitter too...)

    >Isn't Saturn delivered via fibre optic cable? In which case, wouldn't it
    >be a digital signal anyway?

    No Its Coax..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 30, 2004
  17. Alastair

    Bok Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>Isn't Saturn delivered via fibre optic cable? In which case, wouldn't it
    >>be a digital signal anyway?

    > No Its Coax..

    Actually it's both. The network is termed HFC, Hybrid Fibre Coax. The
    main trunks are fibre and drop cables to customer premises are coax (or
    coax for CATV/CM and copper pair for phone).

    Bok, May 1, 2004
  18. Alastair

    Bok Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    >>them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    >>disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.

    > This just does not sound correct to me. I swear that I get stereo from my
    > decoder's RCA outputs! Maybe your box is bunged. I would call them up!
    > It is not like you bought the box is it, rental means service.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Great! I can confirm it works here too with a GE Surview, which means it
    must have a built in NICAM decoder. I plugged the decoder RCA outputs
    directly into an unused input on the HT amp and it reported a stereo
    signal when that source was selected. Listening tests also confirmed
    true stereo seperation and not a split mono signal.

    Perhaps there are different models of decoders some with NICAM decoders
    and others without.

    Alastair, give it a try if you are in Christchurch.

    Bok, May 1, 2004
  19. Alastair

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Alastair" <> wrote in message

    > > I hear that saturn is ment to be offering a digital service soon??
    > > Mabey that may provide stereo out - And a better picture I hope!! My
    > > picture on the rabbits ears is much clearer than through cable!! (
    > > Probably helps that I live close to the transmitter too...)

    > Isn't Saturn delivered via fibre optic cable? In which case, wouldn't it
    > be a digital signal anyway?

    Fibre optic down the street I belive, but from the Pole to the house its
    only coax.

    Good news tho which was released last year sometime is TelstraClear is in
    the process of upgrading Saturn to Digital Cable TV, way more channels!

    Carl Elphick, May 1, 2004
  20. On Sat, 01 May 2004 11:39:47 +1200, Bok <> wrote:

    >Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>>Yep some of the Saturn decoders do have L/R RCA outputs on the back of
    >>>them - HOWEVER the output from it is MONO :( So I found to my
    >>>disappointment. A nicam decoded is needed for this.

    >> This just does not sound correct to me. I swear that I get stereo from my
    >> decoder's RCA outputs! Maybe your box is bunged. I would call them up!
    >> It is not like you bought the box is it, rental means service.
    >> Ciao, Dave

    >Great! I can confirm it works here too with a GE Surview, which means it
    >must have a built in NICAM decoder. I plugged the decoder RCA outputs
    >directly into an unused input on the HT amp and it reported a stereo
    >signal when that source was selected. Listening tests also confirmed
    >true stereo seperation and not a split mono signal.
    >
    >Perhaps there are different models of decoders some with NICAM decoders
    >and others without.
    >
    >Alastair, give it a try if you are in Christchurch.

    I just talked to my Saturn Tech and the New Motorola 3300 decoders have a
    Nicam decoder fitted..

    I asked about the GE one and he did not know if it did or not..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 1, 2004