Saturn Cable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Allistar, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    JB wrote:

    >> I used Saturn cable for 4 years and it was excellent. I had a static IP
    >> address by default, which means you can register domain names and run
    >> your own mail and web servers - or whatever.
    >>
    >> I think Saturn now go faster than 256k. Check...but I think they now
    >> offer 512k as the main service.....and 60KB/second *IS* better than 30KB.
    >>
    >> I had the 2mbps service....and could download at 235KB / second - or a
    >> megabyte every 4-5 seconds.
    >>
    >> A 640KB CD ISO took about 45 minutes to download....and national traffic

    > was
    >> charged at 1/10th the int'l rate.
    >>
    >> > Which to choose that's my next decision.
    >> > Help needed from all you experts out there.

    >> Try it. If you don't like it.....go Jetstream.

    > Hi
    >
    > Im in CHCH, had 256 Telstra cable and I thought it totaly "rocked"
    > shifting from dial-up - until I moved to 2 Mb - "now that rocks" - 1 Gb
    > traffic for $45 a month on the plan with my phone and TV - download a Mb
    > in 3-4 seconds. Haven't had a problem in over 3 months since my
    > connection. TV Phone and Internet all go down the same coaxial to the
    > street where they hook into the fibre-optic network AFAIK!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    The problem I see is that with a Gb cap and downloading a Mb in 4 seconds
    means if you max out the connection your monthly cap will last you a
    whopping 1 hour and 9 minutes. It means you can't even download more than 1
    full CD .iso file in one month (without getting stung extra fees).

    Having saod that for users that don't go over the 1Gb cap it would be a
    great connection.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Allistar

    James Guest

    Yeah saturn cable.
    How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    speedwise or both ?
    Which to choose that's my next decision.
    Help needed from all you experts out there.
    T.I.A.
    James
    James, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Allistar

    Harry Guest

    James wrote:

    > Yeah saturn cable.
    > How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    > I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    > Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    > Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    > speedwise or both ?
    > Which to choose that's my next decision.
    > Help needed from all you experts out there.

    As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
    Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
    Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
    with other users.

    In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    are from traditional phone circuits.

    As far as cost is concerned that is something you would need to work
    out for yourself. Nobody else knows what your pattern of phone calls
    is, whether you watch tv, and how much internet MB allowance you need.
    Harry, Jul 18, 2004
  4. "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > James wrote:
    >

    > > Yeah saturn cable.
    > > How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    > > I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    > > Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    > > Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    > > speedwise or both ?
    > > Which to choose that's my next decision.
    > > Help needed from all you experts out there.

    > As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
    > Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
    > Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
    > with other users.

    It's not restricted to slow speeds. I used to have TelstraSaturn 256kbps at
    home and now I'm using 10mbps. I've downloaded a Battlefield 1942 update
    (650MB file) in December on the 256kbps connection it took 6 hours. I've
    downloaded their latest update last month and it took only 18 minutes with
    this 10mbps.

    AFAIK Telecom does not offer anything faster than 2mbps for residential use.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Allistar

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:43:20 +1200, James wrote:

    > Yeah saturn cable.
    > How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    > I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    > Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    > Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    > speedwise or both ?
    > Which to choose that's my next decision.

    So do you believe in competition?

    No, feed Telecom's wallet
    Yes, feed Saturn's wallet

    Remember (true) competition, brings lower prices to all consumers.
    Gordon, Jul 18, 2004
  6. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:00:55 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
    >Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
    >Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
    >with other users.

    You haven't defined "slow speeds" but I find that downloads from
    paradise servers run flat out, 2Mb in my case, using their cable
    service in Wgton. Downloads from elsewhere are slower but I presume
    this is due to upstream problems. I haven't yet noticed any problems
    due to sharing bw with others nearby.

    >In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >are from traditional phone circuits.

    Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    wire.

    --
    regards
    Malcolm.
    Malcolm Moore, Jul 18, 2004
  7. Allistar

    steve Guest

    steve, Jul 18, 2004
  8. Allistar

    Harry Guest

    Malcolm Moore wrote:

    >>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >>are from traditional phone circuits.

    > Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    > from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    > to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    > wire.

    Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
    Maybe they do it different in NZ.

    They do provide TV over cable I suppose?
    Harry, Jul 18, 2004
  9. Allistar

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:20:22 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >AFAIK Telecom does not offer anything faster than 2mbps for residential use.

    I guess my ADSL modem is lying when it says 7.5Mbps then? Jetstream is
    up to 8Mbps down, up to 1Mbps down I believe.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 18, 2004
  10. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:00:55 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >James wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah saturn cable.
    >> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    >> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    >> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    >> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    >> speedwise or both ?
    >> Which to choose that's my next decision.
    >> Help needed from all you experts out there.

    >As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
    >Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
    >Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
    >with other users.
    >
    >In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >are from traditional phone circuits.

    Bollocks you do not have a clue, CABLE IS THE only way to go, NO Micro DROPP
    OUTS AND IS VERY STABLE..

    What has the phone to do with cable,..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 18, 2004
  11. Allistar

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:42:05 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:43:20 +1200, James wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah saturn cable.
    >> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    >> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    >> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    >> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    >> speedwise or both ?
    >> Which to choose that's my next decision.

    >So do you believe in competition?
    >
    >No, feed Telecom's wallet
    >Yes, feed Saturn's wallet
    >
    >Remember (true) competition, brings lower prices to all consumers.

    .....and when Telstra/Clear buy up Telecom, then what?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jul 18, 2004
  12. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:11:36 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >Malcolm Moore wrote:
    >
    >>>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >>>are from traditional phone circuits.

    >> Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    >> from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    >> to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    >> wire.
    >>

    >Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
    >Maybe they do it different in NZ.
    >
    >They do provide TV over cable I suppose?

    So why comment on something that you do not have a clue about at all.
    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 18, 2004
  13. Harry wrote:

    > Malcolm Moore wrote:
    >

    >>>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >>>are from traditional phone circuits.

    >>Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    >>from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    >>to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    >>wire.
    >>

    > Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
    > Maybe they do it different in NZ.
    >
    > They do provide TV over cable I suppose?

    The cable joins at the street, this is where you get whatever type of
    cable you need - twisted pair or coax or whatever your installation
    needs. We have coax for the cable modem and twisted pair for phone lines.

    Do Saturn have "exchanges" in the usual sense?
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 18, 2004
  14. Gordon wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:43:20 +1200, James wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah saturn cable.
    >>How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    >>I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    >>Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    >>Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    >>speedwise or both ?
    >>Which to choose that's my next decision.

    > So do you believe in competition?
    >
    > No, feed Telecom's wallet
    > Yes, feed Saturn's wallet
    >
    > Remember (true) competition, brings lower prices to all consumers.

    There's always a tradeoff for "lower prices". It might be that 1000
    people are out of a job sooner
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 18, 2004
  15. On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:11:36 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >Malcolm Moore wrote:
    >
    >>>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >>>are from traditional phone circuits.

    >> Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    >> from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    >> to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    >> wire.
    >>

    >Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
    >Maybe they do it different in NZ.
    >
    >They do provide TV over cable I suppose?

    Yes
    --
    regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Jul 18, 2004
  16. Allistar

    JB Guest

    JB, Jul 18, 2004
  17. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >

    >> The problem I see is that with a Gb cap and downloading a Mb in 4 seconds
    >> means if you max out the connection your monthly cap will last you a
    >> whopping 1 hour and 9 minutes. It means you can't even download more than
    >> 1 full CD .iso file in one month (without getting stung extra fees).

    > ... it is basically unusable ... why on earth do they downgrade the
    > download allowance as they increase the speed? Surely the only thing
    > that should change is the speed? Do they really think that anyone is
    > going to suddenly reduce their surfing habits when they go higher speed?
    >
    > No wonder broadband in NZ is a fizzer.

    Agreed. The only semi-acceptable plan (and I use the term "acceptable" very
    loosely) is JetSurf. Only because it has no cap (although they do
    supposedly throttle the speed after 10Gb, which for some it bugger all). I
    would hardly call 256kb/s "broadband" though.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 18, 2004
  18. Allistar

    Harry Guest

    Harry, Jul 18, 2004
  19. Allistar

    Harry Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:00:55 +1200, Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>James wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yeah saturn cable.
    >>> How good is it compared to Jetstream Surf 256 ?
    >>> I've just bought a new home in a Christchurch suburb where
    >>> Saturn cable goes right past the gate. Is Saturn's better than
    >>> Telecom NZ's for home phone and internet costwise or
    >>> speedwise or both ?
    >>> Which to choose that's my next decision.
    >>> Help needed from all you experts out there.

    >>As far as cable goes it is fairly pathetic.
    >>Just like the pathetic ADSL it is also mostly restricted to slow speeds.
    >>Cable is also more restrictive in the way in which is shares bandwidth
    >>with other users.
    >>
    >>In any case you are more likely to get a phone outage over cable than you
    >>are from traditional phone circuits.

    > Bollocks you do not have a clue, CABLE IS THE only way to go, NO Micro
    > DROPP OUTS AND IS VERY STABLE..

    What micro-dropouts?

    > What has the phone to do with cable,..?

    Oh? So NZ doesn't have phone over cable. How primitive!
    Harry, Jul 18, 2004
  20. Allistar

    Harry Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>> Saturn phone circuits are traditional twisted pair copper, at least
    >>> from the subscribers premises to somewhere upstream. They are nothing
    >>> to do with the cable system, apart from sharing the catenary support
    >>> wire.
    >>>

    >>Is that right? I thought most cable companies provided phone over cable.
    >>Maybe they do it different in NZ.
    >>
    >>They do provide TV over cable I suppose?

    > So why comment on something that you do not have a clue about at all.

    Because I automatically assumed that they would have phone over
    cable since it is an old-fashioned HFC network.
    But I guess NZ is a small country ... blah blah blah.
    Harry, Jul 18, 2004