    love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras. If it
    has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC sell the
    rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.
    ChopTop, Feb 28, 2005

  2. ChopTop

    lugnut Guest

    On , "ChopTop" <> wrote:

    >Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:33:55 -0500
    >
    >This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started putting out
    >complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how cool would that be? I would
    >love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras. If it
    >has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC sell the
    >rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    I'd love to see complete seasons of SNL too, but I doubt it'll ever
    happen. Probably over one of those "gay" rights issues, though not on
    NBC's part so much, more likely issues with music rights on the
    performances and usage in skits.

    -lugnut
    lugnut, Feb 28, 2005

  3. ChopTop

    Brian Guest

    "ChopTop" <> wrote in message
    > This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started putting out
    > complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how cool would that be? I
    > would love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras.
    > If it has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC
    > sell the rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    Hey Chop Top,

    I feel your pain. I've been asking this for a long time. There is NO
    official word as to why. Some say it is the music rights. I think it is that
    they just want to milk money out of the "best ofs" as long as they can.
    Brian, Feb 28, 2005
  4. ChopTop

    Brian Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    > On , "ChopTop" <> wrote:

    >>Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:33:55 -0500
    >>
    >>This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started putting out
    >>complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how cool would that be? I
    >>would
    >>love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras. If it
    >>has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC sell the
    >>rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    > I'd love to see complete seasons of SNL too, but I doubt it'll ever
    > happen. Probably over one of those "gay" rights issues, though not on
    > NBC's part so much, more likely issues with music rights on the
    > performances and usage in skits.

    I wouldn't say never but hopefully in our lifetime.
    Brian, Feb 28, 2005
  5. ChopTop

    Jordan Guest

    ChopTop wrote:
    > This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started

    putting out
    > complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how cool would that be? I

    would
    > love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras.

    If it
    > has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC

    sell the
    > rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    Music rights. They have to get the rights from every musical act who
    was on the show for the season in question. Even if they wanted to cut
    out the songs it could still be an issue because a lot of times the
    music acts played extras in some skits.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Feb 28, 2005
  6. ChopTop

    ChopTop Guest

    I've never quite understood the whole "rights" thing when it comes to music
    in tv shows and movies. I mean aren't the "rights" already given to the show
    or movie for use for that particular scene/performance. How could they have
    the song in the show the first time if they didn't have the rights. And
    obviously, the artist new that there performance was being recorded if it
    was a show or movie. Therefore, why would the company who owns that
    recording have to go out and get the rights again when they already attained
    the rights the first go around? I can understand if they wanted to use the
    music in a new situation (new movie, new tv show), but if the music is
    merely "embedded" in the work that it was originally given the authority to
    "use" the music, shouldn't that particular piece of work/recording be able
    to keep the exact same music "embedded" in the original place of the
    original work that it was the firs time? Unless they were to alter the tv
    show/movie and use the music in a different way than it was used originally,
    then I believe the network/movie company should be able to sell that show or
    movie for as long as they want on as many different mediums as they wish
    (vhs, dvd, cable, satelitte, etc.)
    ChopTop, Mar 1, 2005
  7. ChopTop

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "ChopTop" <> wrote in message
    > I've never quite understood the whole "rights" thing when it comes to
    > music in tv shows and movies.

    ...and you still don't. Surrendering the rights for a song and/or performance
    on a TV show isn't the same as also granting them for another revenue stream
    such as a home video release. Also, at the time the performers in question
    appeared on the show, the notion of DVD sales with their huge dollars wasn't
    even considered.

    It is a significant and on-going issue.
    Jay Stewart, Mar 1, 2005
  8. (Snipered)

    But didn't they already release a boxset of musical performances from
    the first 25 years of SNL? While I'm sure every performance wasn't
    feature there were probably a lot of the peskier artists/songs on that
    set. All this being said I'd take a season boxset even without musical
    performances that did include castmembers.

    ..
    Mr. Hole

    The favor of your reply is requested.

    http://icasualties.org/oif/

    Incontinence 2005: Its not just for Grandma any more!

    "You would make a destructive god, Mr. Hole, but as a human, you remain
    pathetic and ineffectual." -- Heck
    The Bitterly Succinct Mr. Hole, Mar 1, 2005
  9. ChopTop

    Guest

    ChopTop wrote:
    > I've never quite understood the whole "rights" thing when it comes to

    music
    > in tv shows and movies.

    Don't let that stop you from going on for another few paragraphs.
    When it comes to the music business, it's a mistake to assume that
    anything would be logical or straightforward.

    Clearly it's a thorny issue -- are there *any* examples of modern-era
    variety shows with musical guest segments that have made it intact to
    DVD? I can't think of one.

    JGM
    , Mar 1, 2005
  10. ChopTop

    Brian Guest

    "ChopTop" <> wrote in message
    > I've never quite understood the whole "rights" thing when it comes to
    > music in tv shows and movies. I mean aren't the "rights" already given to
    > the show or movie for use for that particular scene/performance. How could
    > they have the song in the show the first time if they didn't have the
    > rights. And obviously, the artist new that there performance was being
    > recorded if it was a show or movie. Therefore, why would the company who
    > owns that recording have to go out and get the rights again when they
    > already attained the rights the first go around? I can understand if they
    > wanted to use the music in a new situation (new movie, new tv show), but
    > if the music is merely "embedded" in the work that it was originally given
    > the authority to "use" the music, shouldn't that particular piece of
    > work/recording be able to keep the exact same music "embedded" in the
    > original place of the original work that it was the firs time? Unless they
    > were to alter the tv show/movie and use the music in a different way than
    > it was used originally, then I believe the network/movie company should be
    > able to sell that show or movie for as long as they want on as many
    > different mediums as they wish (vhs, dvd, cable, satelitte, etc.)

    I am not sure of the rights are different between DVD and TV viewings, but
    Comedy Central always shows the musical act on their re-runs.

    I still think it is a marking scheme to get all the money they can out of
    "best ofs." And you know, sometimes the "best ofs" aren't "all that."
    Brian, Mar 1, 2005
  11. ChopTop

    Brian Guest

    "ChopTop" <> wrote in message
    > This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started putting out
    > complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how cool would that be? I
    > would love to see the original shows with commentary and/or other extras.
    > If it has to do with a rights thing, that is gay, because why would NBC
    > sell the rights to SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    I think the pressure will be on soon to get it on DVD....TV shows are
    starting to "explode" on to TV...even the worst ones are now available.

    On a side night, THANK GOODNESS we are getting The Lone Gunmen on
    DVD..awesome show!
    Brian, Mar 1, 2005
  12. ChopTop

    Bratboy Guest

    I'm still praying for, and wondering why they haven't already released, a
    SNL - Guilda Radner disk
    Bratboy, Mar 1, 2005
  13. In article <HMtUd.11949$>, ChopTop
    <> wrote:

    >This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started
    >putting out complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how
    >cool would that be? I would love to see the original shows with
    >commentary and/or other extras. If it has to do with a rights
    >thing, that is gay, because why would NBC sell the rights to
    >SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    I can see a couple of reasons. One is that it might cut into
    the re-runs of SNL that have been on cable for the last year.

    The other is the total amount of shows.

    Many shows run about 20 per season give or take a few.

    SNL is 52 Saturdays per year - 25 years. That's 625 shows.

    That is one hell of a lot of post-production.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Mar 4, 2005
  14. In article <%nQUd.2436$>,
    ChopTop <> wrote:

    >I've never quite understood the whole "rights" thing when it
    >comes to music in tv shows and movies. I mean aren't the "rights"
    >already given to the show or movie for use for that particular
    >scene/performance. How could they have the song in the show the
    >first time if they didn't have the rights. And obviously, the
    >artist new that there performance was being recorded if it was
    >a show or movie. Therefore, why would the company who owns that
    >recording have to go out and get the rights again when they
    >already attained the rights the first go around?

    There is a huge difference between rights for broadcast and rights
    for any/all other methods of distribution.

    Many movies haven't been released on video because the author
    holds all rights except for film distribution. Some of the
    old-line writers - and now their heirs - have kept things out of
    distribution.

    A friend of mine who made what were basically music-videos
    of groups in the local area in 1969 and 1970 - on 1/2" reel-reel
    video tape is having a hard time getting rights for the music.

    The performers synced to things they cut in the studio for
    demo/promotion albums. Music rights were cleared for the LPs
    that were distributed, and the video was taken around to show
    the groups so it was never distributed.

    He'd been trying for a year to get video clearances and is running
    up against brick walls every step of the way.

    It all boils down to MONEY MONEY MONEY.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Mar 4, 2005
  15. ChopTop

    Biz Guest

    I may be mistaken, but what specific years was SNL on every week? I think
    they may have run up to 36 shows per season, but they are not new shows 52
    weeks a year, in fact I dont think it ever has been...

    Biz, Mar 4, 2005
  16. Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article <HMtUd.11949$>, ChopTop
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>This could be a dumb question, but how come NBC hasn't started
    >>putting out complete seasons of SNL on DVD yet? I mean, how
    >>cool would that be? I would love to see the original shows with
    >>commentary and/or other extras. If it has to do with a rights
    >>thing, that is gay, because why would NBC sell the rights to
    >>SNL, that just doesn't make any sense.

    > I can see a couple of reasons. One is that it might cut into
    > the re-runs of SNL that have been on cable for the last year.
    >
    > The other is the total amount of shows.
    >
    > Many shows run about 20 per season give or take a few.
    >
    > SNL is 52 Saturdays per year - 25 years. That's 625 shows.
    >
    > That is one hell of a lot of post-production.

    And remember, music-clearance rights are gay.

    Derek Janssen (oh, so THAT'S that "gay rights" thing they keep talking
    about!)
    Derek Janssen, Mar 4, 2005
  17. ChopTop

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > I may be mistaken, but what specific years was SNL on every week? I think
    > they may have run up to 36 shows per season, but they are not new shows 52
    > weeks a year, in fact I dont think it ever has been...

    If I recall right, didn't the 1980-81 season of SNL right after the last
    of the original cast left have only eleven episodes that year?

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Mar 4, 2005
  18. ChopTop

    Bill Guest

    > If I recall right, didn't the 1980-81 season of SNL right after the last
    > of the original cast left have only eleven episodes that year?
    >
    > ALV

    That season was abbreviated, but I don't recall the exact number of
    episodes. NBC fired producer Jean Doumanian after Charles Rocket used the
    word "****" during the closing moments of one broadcast. The series went
    into reruns for several weeks, Dick Ebersol was hired as producer, and they
    managed one additional episode that season with him at the helm (featuring
    Chevy Chase as guest star, who seemed less than thrilled about being there).
    Al Franken was coaxed back for that episode, and did a commentary on Weekend
    Update about "putting this tired old format to bed." He urged viewers to
    flood NBC with letters, and address them to "Put SNL to Sleep."

    A writer's strike killed the remaining few episodes that had been planned
    for the season, and production didn't resume until the fall of 81, with Dick
    Ebersol still at the helm.
    Bill, Mar 4, 2005