    sets? Is it truly the "music rights" or do they want to milk every thing out
    of the "best of" DVD's? I really want to collect the older shows.

    Brian

    Brian, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Brian

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    There are two reasons why we will NEVER see season sets for SNL. For one,
    there simply isn't much demand for entire seasons of the show. Sure, Season 1
    would sell like hotcakes, but how many people would shell out money to watch
    the stuff from the post-Murphy, pre-Hartman era in the early 80's? Second,
    there are the music rights you referred to. It'd be a nightmare to include
    them. Get used to the "Best Of..." compilations. They're the best you're
    gonna get.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    NEVER? That is a shame.

    Guess I am the "one" who wants to see the "brave" Billy Crystal years and
    the strange "Robert Downey" years.

    Brian, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Brian

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Oh man, the Billy Crystal/Chistopher Guest/Martin Short years are the BEST!

    "Man I hate it when that happens!!"

    Pug Fugley, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Brian

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, CLOSEDOWN8
    <> wrote:

    > There are two reasons why we will NEVER see season sets for SNL. For one,
    > there simply isn't much demand for entire seasons of the show. Sure, Season 1
    > would sell like hotcakes, but how many people would shell out money to watch
    > the stuff from the post-Murphy, pre-Hartman era in the early 80's? Second,
    > there are the music rights you referred to. It'd be a nightmare to include
    > them. Get used to the "Best Of..." compilations. They're the best you're
    > gonna get.

    Actually, one of the main reasons you won't see them is that there's
    still tons of money to be made showing these episodes on cable. Once
    they've mined that gold all out, THEN you'll see the season box sets.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Brian

    jpeabody Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote in message news:<091020031833094334%>...
    > In article <>, CLOSEDOWN8
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > There are two reasons why we will NEVER see season sets for SNL. For one,
    > > there simply isn't much demand for entire seasons of the show. Sure, Season 1
    > > would sell like hotcakes, but how many people would shell out money to watch
    > > the stuff from the post-Murphy, pre-Hartman era in the early 80's? Second,
    > > there are the music rights you referred to. It'd be a nightmare to include
    > > them. Get used to the "Best Of..." compilations. They're the best you're
    > > gonna get.

    > Actually, one of the main reasons you won't see them is that there's
    > still tons of money to be made showing these episodes on cable. Once
    > they've mined that gold all out, THEN you'll see the season box sets.

    I don't know about the syndication argument. X-Files and Star
    Trek:whatever seem to have put out DVDs pretty quick. Simpson's has
    been on half as long. Law & Order almost has it's own channel by now.
    Besides, I'd think at least the first couple seasons are "mined out"
    by now. I just don't think season sets would be that big, especially
    with almost 30 seasons in the bank. Much as people love certain
    sketches or characters, I don't think people would collect them the
    same way they do episodic shows. Besides, there's a lot of unfunny
    stuff in there, too.

    There are lots of ways to collect the shows that I think would be
    better than by season. I'd rather see a series of really
    comprehensive "best of" discs. You know, every Eddie Murphy sketch,
    in order, and cross-referenced. If he's in it, it's on the disc. The
    whole Gumby or Buckwheat and Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood series would
    be in there, naturally, but so would the dozens of other one-off bits.
    Or every Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer sketch. Every Wayne's World. Or
    the short films episode as a stand-alone. Or maybe every show by a
    certain guest host. Every Steve Martin or Tom Hanks episode.
    Christopher Walken would be wonderful to watch degenerate through the
    years.

    I'd really like a complete set of musical performances on CD. That's
    about 50 songs per year of live performances available nowhere else.

    jpeabody, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Brian

    VBV20 Guest

    >> there are the music rights you referred to. It'd be a nightmare to include
    >> them.

    I seem to recall years ago when Warner released individual episodes, a good
    majority of them included the musical performances, and if the rights couldn't
    be cleared, they just edited them out of the episode. I don't think it'd be
    THAT hard to do.

    I think sooner or later you'll see them come to DVD, though more likely from
    the 90's & 00's as opposed to the 70's and '80's.

    VBV20, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Brian

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    Wouldnt the problem be the fact that each ep is 90minutes long? Even if you cut
    out the musical performances, thats still around 70-80 minutes an ep.

    Metlhd3138, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Brian

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Metlhd3138
    <> wrote:

    > Wouldnt the problem be the fact that each ep is 90minutes long? Even if you
    > cut
    > out the musical performances, thats still around 70-80 minutes an ep.

    Well, that's 90 minutes with comercials (and the last half seems to
    have a LOT of ads).

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Brian

    Moviezzz Guest

    >> Wouldnt the problem be the fact that each ep is 90minutes long? Even if you
    >> cut
    >> out the musical performances, thats still around 70-80 minutes an ep.

    Closer to 60 minutes. There are typically 6 to 8 minutes of ads for every 30
    minutes of TV. Hour long shows run normally 44 minutes without ads. So, after
    ads and after two 3 or 4 minute musical numbers, around an hour

    Moviezzz, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Brian

    Brian Guest

    an SNL without commercials runs 66- 67 mts. I know, I've been burning
    them to DVD-R recently and editing out commercals. ,

    Brian, Oct 18, 2003
  12. Brian

    Brian Guest

    some hour long shows are as short as 41 mts w/o commericals. Nowadays
    with very few exceptions, an hour show w/o commercials run approx 43
    mts.
    in the 60's, they ran 51 1/2 mts head to toe

    Brian, Oct 18, 2003