    startup costs. Are there any providers who have service with reasonable
    monthly charges and low startup costs? Also, is the satellite provider also
    the internet and e-mail provider?
    Not Nice Anymore, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Not Nice Anymore

    Trent C Guest

    There's an excellent ISP that serves Ulan Bator and it's suburbs - if you
    hang around I can get you the number.

    > I'd like to switch from dialup to satellite but am being turned off by

    high

    Trent C, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Not Nice Anymore

    jonny bravo Guest

    "Trent C" <> wrote in message
    > There's an excellent ISP that serves Ulan Bator and it's suburbs - if you
    > hang around I can get you the number.
    >
    > > I'd like to switch from dialup to satellite but am being turned off by

    > high
    > > startup costs. Are there any providers who have service with reasonable
    > > monthly charges and low startup costs? Also, is the satellite provider

    > also
    > > the internet and e-mail provider?

    If you have a choice between cable or Dsl take that before you go
    satellite...
    Between Starband and Direcway you have to decide which one has the better
    package...
    Both have download restrictions and weather is always a concern...
    Make sure if you do get it that the tech who installs it... knows what hes
    doing...

    --
    Jonny Bravo
    Some Do, Some Don't, Some Will, Some Won't...I Might...

    ---
    jonny bravo, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Not Nice Anymore

    Trent C Guest

    > > There's an excellent ISP that serves Ulan Bator and it's suburbs - if
    you
    > > hang around I can get you the number.
    > >
    > > > I'd like to switch from dialup to satellite but am being turned off by

    > > high
    > > > startup costs. Are there any providers who have service with

    reasonable
    > > > monthly charges and low startup costs? Also, is the satellite provider

    > > also
    > > > the internet and e-mail provider?

    > If you have a choice between cable or Dsl take that before you go
    > satellite...
    > Between Starband and Direcway you have to decide which one has the better
    > package...
    > Both have download restrictions and weather is always a concern...
    > Make sure if you do get it that the tech who installs it... knows what hes
    > doing...

    I do not have a choice and I'm not interested in one - the OP is. I was
    merely making the point that since we don't know which hemisphere the OP is
    posting from let alone which country, a little more detail would probably
    give people a better chance of being in a position to give a meaningful
    answer.
    Trent C, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Not Nice Anymore

    Ben Guest

    Trent C wrote:

    >>>There's an excellent ISP that serves Ulan Bator and it's suburbs - if

    > you
    >
    >>>hang around I can get you the number.

    >>>high

    > reasonable

    >>>also

    >>If you have a choice between cable or Dsl take that before you go
    >>satellite...
    >>Between Starband and Direcway you have to decide which one has the better
    >>package...
    >>Both have download restrictions and weather is always a concern...
    >>Make sure if you do get it that the tech who installs it... knows what hes
    >>doing...

    > I do not have a choice and I'm not interested in one - the OP is. I was
    > merely making the point that since we don't know which hemisphere the OP is
    > posting from let alone which country, a little more detail would probably
    > give people a better chance of being in a position to give a meaningful
    > answer.

    Trent,
    You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.
    Ben, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Not Nice Anymore

    Trent C Guest

    > Trent,
    > You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    All you can infer from the header is that the poster is routing through the
    University of Berlin, not that he/she is in Berlin. And as I suggested in
    my earlier post, you should have replied to the OP, not to me.
    Trent C, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Not Nice Anymore

    Boomer Guest

    Ben <> wrote in

    > Trent C wrote:

    [snip]
    >> I do not have a choice and I'm not interested in one - the OP is.
    >> I was merely making the point that since we don't know which
    >> hemisphere the OP is posting from let alone which country, a
    >> little more detail would probably give people a better chance of
    >> being in a position to give a meaningful answer.
    >>

    > Trent,
    > You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    The OP, "Not Nice Anymore" <>, is not in Germany.
    Boomer, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Not Nice Anymore

    Harrison Guest

    On 01 Dec 2003 17:48:12 GMT, Boomer <>
    wrote:

    >Ben <> wrote in
    >
    >> Trent C wrote:
    >>

    >[snip]
    >>> I do not have a choice and I'm not interested in one - the OP is.
    >>> I was merely making the point that since we don't know which
    >>> hemisphere the OP is posting from let alone which country, a
    >>> little more detail would probably give people a better chance of
    >>> being in a position to give a meaningful answer.
    >>>

    >> Trent,
    >> You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    >The OP, "Not Nice Anymore" <>, is not in Germany.

    Yup. Looks like US poster to me.
    Harrison, Dec 1, 2003
  9. Not Nice Anymore

    trout Guest

    Trent C wrote:

    >> Trent,
    >> You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    > All you can infer from the header is that the poster is routing
    > through the University of Berlin, not that he/she is in Berlin. And
    > as I suggested in my earlier post, you should have replied to the OP,
    > not to me.

    Well, *technically*, you can run the "posting host" and see that the
    OP is in the US; in or around Michigan. Using a resource like:
    http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/dns/
    Of course; life would be much easier if the OP had just mentioned
    this.
    --
    "But then, you would have missed this fascinating conversation."
    trout, Dec 1, 2003
  10. Not Nice Anymore

    Trent C Guest

    > >> Trent,
    > >> You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    > > All you can infer from the header is that the poster is routing
    > > through the University of Berlin, not that he/she is in Berlin. And
    > > as I suggested in my earlier post, you should have replied to the OP,
    > > not to me.

    > Well, *technically*, you can run the "posting host" and see that the
    > OP is in the US; in or around Michigan. Using a resource like:
    > http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/dns/
    > Of course; life would be much easier if the OP had just mentioned
    > this.
    > --
    > "But then, you would have missed this fascinating conversation."

    I am sufficiently fascinated by this conversation that I'm now going to bed!
    Trent C, Dec 1, 2003
  11. Ben wrote:

    > You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    And how's that, Ben? Because he's using a Berlin NNTP host?

    Look at my headers -- does that Berlin host look familiar?

    I'm in Los Angeles, California, USA.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 2, 2003
  12. I'm posting from central Florida.

    Not Nice Anymore, Dec 3, 2003
  13. Why don't you quit bickering and just answer.

    Not Nice Anymore, Dec 3, 2003
  14. Not Nice Anymore

    trout Guest

    Not Nice Anymore wrote:

    > Why don't you quit bickering and just answer.

    It wasn't "bickering". It was a discussion of a point that came up
    in the course of the thread. This sort of thing will happen regardless
    of your shrill demands. You don't dictate what people are 'allowed' to
    talk about.
    This does nothing to prevent anyone, that wants to, from answering
    you. Your attitude might.

    trout, Dec 3, 2003
  15. Not Nice Anymore

    Amanda Guest

    "Not Nice Anymore" <> wrote in

    > I'd like to switch from dialup to satellite but am being turned
    > off by high startup costs. Are there any providers who have
    > service with reasonable monthly charges and low startup costs?
    > Also, is the satellite provider also the internet and e-mail
    > provider?

    I'm using DirecWay Satellite Internet Service right now. I would
    prefer DSL or Cable, but neither of those is possible in my area.
    I'm in Northern Florida and the phone lines were put in in the 60s
    and there is no cable out here.

    Anyway, DirecWay has a program where you can pay $99 a month (plus
    tax) for 15 months to defer the startup costs or you can pay them up
    front ($579 I think) and then $59 a month (plus tax). In order to
    have it installed, DirecWay will send your order to a local reseller
    and they will setup the install. If you put it on your roof, it has
    to be attached to the rafters, which you probably can't do if you're
    renting. If you have to put it in the yard, they have to install a
    pole, which for me cost an extra $100.

    The service seems pretty good so far. I've had it for about 2
    months. In my case the ISP and E-mail provider are DirecWay. I
    think with some other satellite companies you have to choose
    Earthlink or something, I'm not sure. There are no newsgroups with
    DirecWay, though. I'm having to pay extra for Usenetrocket.com.
    There are others out there depending on what you need, or if you
    even want them.

    If you go with DirecWay, I'd wait until you can get the DW6000
    system. They just came out with it and it's all integrated instead
    of having separate modems for transmit and receive. Oh, speaking of
    transmitting...it's slow. That's what causes satellite to be slower
    than DSL or cable. Mine transmits only a little faster than a phone
    line, but it downloads at 800+kbps. Back to the DW6000. If you
    need to network, this is the one to get. The older ones use USB
    connectors but the DW6000 uses ethernet. I'm waiting to find out
    how much it will cost me to upgrade since I STILL haven't gotten my
    network to share the internet connection.

    I don't know about any other providers' prices or anything, sorry.

    Hope this helps.

    Amanda
    Amanda, Dec 3, 2003
  16. Not Nice Anymore

    MrMel Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > Ben <> wrote in
    >
    >> Trent C wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >>> I do not have a choice and I'm not interested in one - the OP is.
    >>> I was merely making the point that since we don't know which
    >>> hemisphere the OP is posting from let alone which country, a
    >>> little more detail would probably give people a better chance of
    >>> being in a position to give a meaningful answer.
    >>>

    >> Trent,
    >> You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    > The OP, "Not Nice Anymore" <>, is not in Germany.

    'xyz.net' is part of the 'Alaska Communication System' network in 'Homer
    Alaska'

    MrMel
    MrMel, Dec 18, 2003
  17. Not Nice Anymore

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:23:42 GMT, MrMel wrote:

    >Boomer wrote:
    >> Ben <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Trent C wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip]
    >>>>

    >>> Trent,
    >>> You should be able to see the OP is from Berlin Germany.

    >> The OP, "Not Nice Anymore" <>, is not in Germany.

    >'xyz.net' is part of the 'Alaska Communication System' network in 'Homer
    >Alaska'
    >
    >MrMel

    H/S/It's not posting from xyz.net.

    --- 12/17/03 19:37:41 Central Standard Time
    --- performing WHOIS on "206.148.96.102", please wait...
    --- contacting server whois.arin.net
    --- smart whois on "206.148.96"

    OrgName: AGIS
    OrgID: AGIS
    Address: P.O. Box 9268
    City: Reston
    StateProv: VA
    PostalCode: 20195-3168
    Country: US

    NetRange: 206.148.0.0 - 206.149.255.255
    CIDR: 206.148.0.0/15
    NetName: ALERON-206-148
    NetHandle: NET-206-148-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-206-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: NS1.ALERON.NET
    NameServer: NS2.ALERON.NET
    NameServer: NS3.ALERON.NET
    NameServer: NS4.ALERON.NET
    Comment: This block is non-portable
    RegDate: 1995-10-02
    Updated: 2002-09-12

    TechHandle: ADA2-ARIN
    TechName: Administrator, Aleron DNS
    TechPhone: +1-703-375-5600
    TechEmail:

    AbuseHandle: ALERO-ARIN
    AbuseName: Aleron Abuse
    AbusePhone: +1-703-375-5600
    AbuseEmail:

    OrgAbuseHandle: ALERO-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Aleron Abuse
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-703-375-5600
    OrgAbuseEmail:

    OrgTechHandle: ADA2-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Administrator, Aleron DNS
    OrgTechPhone: +1-703-375-5600
    OrgTechEmail:

    --- connection closed

    http://www.aleron.net/info/

    --
    <AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
    fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable
    Mara, Dec 18, 2003