Satellite internet service providers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Charles Foot, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    satellite internet provider.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 5, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:

    > Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    > I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    > and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    > satellite internet provider.


    Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    Any chance you're moving to a rural area roughly south-west of Hamilton? I
    ask because the WAND project at Waikato University has been setting up
    wireless Internet access via Wi-Fi-based point-to-point links to
    communities in that area.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    news:1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1...
    > Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    > I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access, and
    > at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a satellite
    > internet provider.


    Where abouts are you moving to - lots of areas have wireless access. We're
    rural and have pretty good wireless speed. Pay an arm and a leg for it
    though.

    gay
     
    brazen, Jul 5, 2007
    #3
  4. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:f6htca$2ol$...
    > In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >> satellite internet provider.

    >
    > Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    > e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    > anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).


    ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the amount
    of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.

    I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a lot
    of people who are.

    Gay
     
    brazen, Jul 5, 2007
    #4
  5. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    > news:1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1...
    >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access, and
    >> at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a satellite
    >> internet provider.

    >
    > Where abouts are you moving to - lots of areas have wireless access. We're
    > rural and have pretty good wireless speed. Pay an arm and a leg for it
    > though.
    >
    > gay
    >
    >

    Hi... up in the hills east of Taihape.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 5, 2007
    #5
  6. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > news:f6htca$2ol$...
    >> In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >>> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >>> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >>> satellite internet provider.

    >> Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    >> e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    >> anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    >
    > ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    > then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the amount
    > of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.
    >
    > I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a lot
    > of people who are.
    >
    > Gay
    >
    >

    Hi Gay,
    yeah, I've looked at Farmside. Seems a bit of a tossup between them and
    Natcom at the moment. Natcom has a much more expensive install but more
    data/higher speed for the same monthly outlay.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 5, 2007
    #6
  7. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    news:1183666544.156466@ftpsrv1...
    > brazen wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> news:f6htca$2ol$...
    >>> In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >>>> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >>>> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >>>> satellite internet provider.
    >>> Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    >>> e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    >>> anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    >>
    >> ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    >> then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the
    >> amount of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.
    >>
    >> I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a
    >> lot of people who are.
    >>
    >> Gay

    > Hi Gay,
    > yeah, I've looked at Farmside. Seems a bit of a tossup between them and
    > Natcom at the moment. Natcom has a much more expensive install but more
    > data/higher speed for the same monthly outlay.


    I was at a meeting with the CEO of Farmside/BayCity last week and he said
    they were increasing their start up plan speeds. Can remember when, whether
    they had or were intending to. So obviously there is competition and they
    are reacting - maybe Natcom will do the same. What speeds/caps do they
    advertise?

    If it were me I'd try and find out what is best in the area - try and get
    some personal recommendations from the Taihape area itself. I've found that
    with our local wireless provider, while its great most of the time, its all
    about backup service. When its down its a real pain in the backside, any
    fixes on the transmission tower take a couple of days. Small company, *no*
    after hours monitoring. Spare equipment not necessarily on hand - we were
    down 8 days while they shippped some part from Oz.

    So I'd check out what it is like on the ground, if you can to see if there
    are local issues or recommendations.

    You might want to try posting up a notice on Fencepost's forum (I think
    anyone can join, if not, email me and i can put one up for you) or maybe
    Trademe's farming message board. We have another site that might help get
    that kind of info, but it might be a bit early to get any good info for you
    for Taihape.

    Taihape has a great feel to it - I've only ever stopped there for a
    coffee/food break on our way up north, but it feels like a really good spot.
    Nice typical rural town, but with other towns far enough away to make the
    area around it seem untouched. Not too isolated, but just enough, if you get
    my drift!

    Cheers

    Gay
     
    brazen, Jul 5, 2007
    #7
  8. Charles Foot

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 5, 5:04 pm, "brazen" <> wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >
    > news:f6htca$2ol$...
    >
    > > In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:

    >
    > >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    > >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    > >> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    > >> satellite internet provider.

    >
    > > Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    > > e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    > > anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    >
    > ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    > then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the amount
    > of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.
    >
    > I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a lot
    > of people who are.
    >
    > Gay


    I know nothing about Farmside, but I can tell you that if you are on a
    2 way satellite connection, it will suck for anything interactive, and
    there is no way around that unless you have figured out how to get a
    signal going faster than the speed of light. The delay is about 1/4
    sec and if you get a phone converstation routed over satellite you
    will know how difficult that delay makes a conversation.

    As Larry says, you won't notice this for email access at all, as
    latency is of no concern to streaming data.
     
    JohnO, Jul 5, 2007
    #8
  9. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    > news:1183666544.156466@ftpsrv1...
    >> brazen wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >>> news:f6htca$2ol$...
    >>>> In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >>>>> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >>>>> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >>>>> satellite internet provider.
    >>>> Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good for
    >>>> e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it for
    >>>> anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).
    >>> ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    >>> then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the
    >>> amount of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.
    >>>
    >>> I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a
    >>> lot of people who are.
    >>>
    >>> Gay

    >> Hi Gay,
    >> yeah, I've looked at Farmside. Seems a bit of a tossup between them and
    >> Natcom at the moment. Natcom has a much more expensive install but more
    >> data/higher speed for the same monthly outlay.

    >
    > I was at a meeting with the CEO of Farmside/BayCity last week and he said
    > they were increasing their start up plan speeds. Can remember when, whether
    > they had or were intending to. So obviously there is competition and they
    > are reacting - maybe Natcom will do the same. What speeds/caps do they
    > advertise?
    >
    > If it were me I'd try and find out what is best in the area - try and get
    > some personal recommendations from the Taihape area itself. I've found that
    > with our local wireless provider, while its great most of the time, its all
    > about backup service. When its down its a real pain in the backside, any
    > fixes on the transmission tower take a couple of days. Small company, *no*
    > after hours monitoring. Spare equipment not necessarily on hand - we were
    > down 8 days while they shippped some part from Oz.
    >
    > So I'd check out what it is like on the ground, if you can to see if there
    > are local issues or recommendations.
    >
    > You might want to try posting up a notice on Fencepost's forum (I think
    > anyone can join, if not, email me and i can put one up for you) or maybe
    > Trademe's farming message board. We have another site that might help get
    > that kind of info, but it might be a bit early to get any good info for you
    > for Taihape.
    >
    > Taihape has a great feel to it - I've only ever stopped there for a
    > coffee/food break on our way up north, but it feels like a really good spot.
    > Nice typical rural town, but with other towns far enough away to make the
    > area around it seem untouched. Not too isolated, but just enough, if you get
    > my drift!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Gay
    >
    >

    Thanks very much for the info, Gay.
    We are moving to near Taihape from Great Barrier Island. The new house
    is the homestead of one of the sheep stations up in the hills. We are
    planning on taking the house off-grid and generating our own electricity
    as we do here on the Barrier using solar panels and a windmill. Since
    the house is somewhat large with 2 kitchens, 2 lounges, numerous
    bedrooms and 5 fireplaces we might also set it up as some sort of
    homestay/B&B, and I might even get into holding alternative energy
    seminars.... time will tell.
    We like the idea of it because, whilst as isolated as here on the
    Barrier, it's only a half-hour drive to Taihape, and consequently the
    shops, etc. Also, my sister lives in Taihape which is a plus.

    My business is internet-based, so reliable access is a big issue for me.
    Natcoms basic plan is 2MB download, 1MB upload, 1GB data for
    $99-00/month but the setup cost is around $2500 (ouch!), although I
    might be able to reduce that by doing my own install.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 5, 2007
    #9
  10. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Jul 5, 5:04 pm, "brazen" <> wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message
    >>
    >> news:f6htca$2ol$...
    >>
    >> > In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:

    >>
    >> >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >> >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >> >> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >> >> satellite internet provider.

    >>
    >> > Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good
    >> > for
    >> > e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it
    >> > for
    >> > anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    >>
    >> ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    >> then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the
    >> amount
    >> of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.
    >>
    >> I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a
    >> lot
    >> of people who are.
    >>
    >> Gay

    >
    > I know nothing about Farmside, but I can tell you that if you are on a
    > 2 way satellite connection, it will suck for anything interactive, and
    > there is no way around that unless you have figured out how to get a
    > signal going faster than the speed of light. The delay is about 1/4
    > sec and if you get a phone converstation routed over satellite you
    > will know how difficult that delay makes a conversation.
    >
    > As Larry says, you won't notice this for email access at all, as
    > latency is of no concern to streaming data.
    >

    I dont think Charles is asking what type of connection is best - thats
    pretty obvious. But rural folk dont have that choice - 14k dialup or
    satellite - what would you choose?

    Its about providers - if he can get wireless then I'd definitley go for
    that. Maybe he can, maybe he can check out who did Probe in that area. Or
    there might be some stage 2 probe work going on in Taihape - who knows.

    But when it comes down to satellite vs atrocious dialup speeds I know where
    I go.

    gay
     
    brazen, Jul 5, 2007
    #10
  11. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    news:1183673489.517247@ftpsrv1...
    > Thanks very much for the info, Gay.
    > We are moving to near Taihape from Great Barrier Island. The new house is
    > the homestead of one of the sheep stations up in the hills. We are
    > planning on taking the house off-grid and generating our own electricity
    > as we do here on the Barrier using solar panels and a windmill. Since the
    > house is somewhat large with 2 kitchens, 2 lounges, numerous bedrooms and
    > 5 fireplaces we might also set it up as some sort of homestay/B&B, and I
    > might even get into holding alternative energy seminars.... time will
    > tell.
    > We like the idea of it because, whilst as isolated as here on the Barrier,
    > it's only a half-hour drive to Taihape, and consequently the shops, etc.
    > Also, my sister lives in Taihape which is a plus.


    That sounds idyllic! Not that I'm ever going to move, but its the kind of
    place I like.

    >
    > My business is internet-based, so reliable access is a big issue for me.
    > Natcoms basic plan is 2MB download, 1MB upload, 1GB data for $99-00/month
    > but the setup cost is around $2500 (ouch!), although I might be able to
    > reduce that by doing my own install.


    Geeps that is a stinker, isnt it!

    If you are technically minded you might want to look at wireless more. I
    mentioned Probe in another post - we have wireless due to the local school
    getting it. We can see the transmitter so thankfully could get wireless no
    problem. But even if you are not in direct line of sight you may well be
    able to squeak in.

    I have a neighbour over the hill who was not in direct line of site with our
    transmitter. He tried to get a stage 2 probe community link going, but there
    werent enough pple in the area to make it viable with the wireless company,
    so that wasnt an option for him. He then discovered that on a tiny section
    of his land he could see the transmitter and has since put his own relay
    tower up and cabled it down the hill to his home. He did most of the work
    himself.

    Incidentally they are off-grid too and generate everything by solar / water.

    Gay
     
    brazen, Jul 5, 2007
    #11
  12. Charles Foot

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 6, 10:17 am, "brazen" <> wrote:
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Jul 5, 5:04 pm, "brazen" <> wrote:
    > >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > >> message

    >
    > >>news:f6htca$2ol$...

    >
    > >> > In message <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, Charles Foot wrote:

    >
    > >> >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    > >> >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    > >> >> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    > >> >> satellite internet provider.

    >
    > >> > Satellite will give you absolutely abysmal ping times. Probably good
    > >> > for
    > >> > e-mail, NNTP, P2P and general file transfer, wouldn't want to use it
    > >> > for
    > >> > anything reasonably interactive (probably not even Web access).

    >
    > >> ??? yeah right. If that were anywhere near remotely true (pardon the pun)
    > >> then companies like Farmside woudnt be in business let alone have the
    > >> amount
    > >> of customers they have. Or bringing out a VOIP service.

    >
    > >> I cant vouch for Farmside as I am not a customer, but I know a hell of a
    > >> lot
    > >> of people who are.

    >
    > >> Gay

    >
    > > I know nothing about Farmside, but I can tell you that if you are on a
    > > 2 way satellite connection, it will suck for anything interactive, and
    > > there is no way around that unless you have figured out how to get a
    > > signal going faster than the speed of light. The delay is about 1/4
    > > sec and if you get a phone converstation routed over satellite you
    > > will know how difficult that delay makes a conversation.

    >
    > > As Larry says, you won't notice this for email access at all, as
    > > latency is of no concern to streaming data.

    >
    > I dont think Charles is asking what type of connection is best - thats
    > pretty obvious. But rural folk dont have that choice - 14k dialup or
    > satellite - what would you choose?
    >
    > Its about providers - if he can get wireless then I'd definitley go for
    > that. Maybe he can, maybe he can check out who did Probe in that area. Or
    > there might be some stage 2 probe work going on in Taihape - who knows.
    >
    > But when it comes down to satellite vs atrocious dialup speeds I know where
    > I go.
    >
    > gay- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    If the lay of the land suits, the other option is a wok based wifi
    link into an access point in town. Such links can work over 5km or so.

    Google WiFry !!
     
    JohnO, Jul 6, 2007
    #12
  13. In article <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, says...
    > Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    > I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    > and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    > satellite internet provider.
    >


    Stay away from Bordernet, is all I can say. I used to be with Ihug Ultra for
    years and years, and was quite happy with it on the whole. Ping times around
    the 450 ms but that is not a problem so long as you are not playing twitchy
    games. But after Iinet bought Ihug, then sold the satellite business off to
    Bordernet things went downhill; mostly because Bordernet insist on putting all
    traffic through their cockamimi cache that just doesn't handle quite a number
    of services, partly because of a particularly low-lying satellite they had us
    changed to. I got out of there as soon as I could.

    I know that Iconz also offer satellite. Believe they do some school(s) in the
    very remote Far North on two way satellite. They're not bad to deal with, I
    find. Price is probably not too far off what you were quoting; I haven't looked
    for a long time.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
     
    Peter Huebner, Jul 6, 2007
    #13
  14. Charles Foot

    EMB Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    >
    > If the lay of the land suits, the other option is a wok based wifi
    > link into an access point in town. Such links can work over 5km or so.
    >
    > Google WiFry !!
    >


    15 - 20km is easily achievable for sensible amounts of money.
     
    EMB, Jul 6, 2007
    #14
  15. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> If the lay of the land suits, the other option is a wok based wifi
    >> link into an access point in town. Such links can work over 5km or so.
    >>
    >> Google WiFry !!
    >>

    >
    > 15 - 20km is easily achievable for sensible amounts of money.

    Any more info re this? We shall be situated about 20k from town as the
    crow flies, but there are large hills in the way.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 6, 2007
    #15
  16. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <1183593081.670672@ftpsrv1>, says...
    >> Anybody have any recommendations/horror stories, etc?
    >> I'm moving to a part of NZ which has abysmal dial-up internet access,
    >> and at this stage have been considering going with Natcom as a
    >> satellite internet provider.
    >>

    >
    > Stay away from Bordernet, is all I can say. I used to be with Ihug Ultra for
    > years and years, and was quite happy with it on the whole. Ping times around
    > the 450 ms but that is not a problem so long as you are not playing twitchy
    > games. But after Iinet bought Ihug, then sold the satellite business off to
    > Bordernet things went downhill; mostly because Bordernet insist on putting all
    > traffic through their cockamimi cache that just doesn't handle quite a number
    > of services, partly because of a particularly low-lying satellite they had us
    > changed to. I got out of there as soon as I could.
    >
    > I know that Iconz also offer satellite. Believe they do some school(s) in the
    > very remote Far North on two way satellite. They're not bad to deal with, I
    > find. Price is probably not too far off what you were quoting; I haven't looked
    > for a long time.
    >
    > h.t.h. -Peter
    >

    Thanks Peter.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 6, 2007
    #16
  17. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    > news:1183673489.517247@ftpsrv1...
    >> Thanks very much for the info, Gay.
    >> We are moving to near Taihape from Great Barrier Island. The new house is
    >> the homestead of one of the sheep stations up in the hills. We are
    >> planning on taking the house off-grid and generating our own electricity
    >> as we do here on the Barrier using solar panels and a windmill. Since the
    >> house is somewhat large with 2 kitchens, 2 lounges, numerous bedrooms and
    >> 5 fireplaces we might also set it up as some sort of homestay/B&B, and I
    >> might even get into holding alternative energy seminars.... time will
    >> tell.
    >> We like the idea of it because, whilst as isolated as here on the Barrier,
    >> it's only a half-hour drive to Taihape, and consequently the shops, etc.
    >> Also, my sister lives in Taihape which is a plus.

    >
    > That sounds idyllic! Not that I'm ever going to move, but its the kind of
    > place I like.
    >
    >> My business is internet-based, so reliable access is a big issue for me.
    >> Natcoms basic plan is 2MB download, 1MB upload, 1GB data for $99-00/month
    >> but the setup cost is around $2500 (ouch!), although I might be able to
    >> reduce that by doing my own install.

    >
    > Geeps that is a stinker, isnt it!
    >
    > If you are technically minded you might want to look at wireless more. I
    > mentioned Probe in another post - we have wireless due to the local school
    > getting it. We can see the transmitter so thankfully could get wireless no
    > problem. But even if you are not in direct line of sight you may well be
    > able to squeak in.
    >
    > I have a neighbour over the hill who was not in direct line of site with our
    > transmitter. He tried to get a stage 2 probe community link going, but there
    > werent enough pple in the area to make it viable with the wireless company,
    > so that wasnt an option for him. He then discovered that on a tiny section
    > of his land he could see the transmitter and has since put his own relay
    > tower up and cabled it down the hill to his home. He did most of the work
    > himself.
    >
    > Incidentally they are off-grid too and generate everything by solar / water.
    >
    > Gay
    >
    >

    Hi Gay,
    the house is about 20kms away from Taihape as the crow flies, but there
    are a lot of large hills in the way. Probably not an option, regrettably.

    Your neighbour is obviously in the fortunate position of having a
    reasonable stream. Unfortunately we don't, so will have to go the
    expensive way and put up lots of solar panels. But, oodles of roof
    space, including two that face almost exactly the right direction.
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 6, 2007
    #17
  18. Charles Foot

    brazen Guest

    "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    news:1183755984.78868@ftpsrv1...
    > brazen wrote:
    >> "Charles Foot" <> wrote in message
    >> news:1183673489.517247@ftpsrv1...
    >>> Thanks very much for the info, Gay.
    >>> We are moving to near Taihape from Great Barrier Island. The new house
    >>> is the homestead of one of the sheep stations up in the hills. We are
    >>> planning on taking the house off-grid and generating our own electricity
    >>> as we do here on the Barrier using solar panels and a windmill. Since
    >>> the house is somewhat large with 2 kitchens, 2 lounges, numerous
    >>> bedrooms and 5 fireplaces we might also set it up as some sort of
    >>> homestay/B&B, and I might even get into holding alternative energy
    >>> seminars.... time will tell.
    >>> We like the idea of it because, whilst as isolated as here on the
    >>> Barrier, it's only a half-hour drive to Taihape, and consequently the
    >>> shops, etc. Also, my sister lives in Taihape which is a plus.

    >>
    >> That sounds idyllic! Not that I'm ever going to move, but its the kind of
    >> place I like.
    >>
    >>> My business is internet-based, so reliable access is a big issue for me.
    >>> Natcoms basic plan is 2MB download, 1MB upload, 1GB data for
    >>> $99-00/month but the setup cost is around $2500 (ouch!), although I
    >>> might be able to reduce that by doing my own install.

    >>
    >> Geeps that is a stinker, isnt it!
    >>
    >> If you are technically minded you might want to look at wireless more. I
    >> mentioned Probe in another post - we have wireless due to the local
    >> school getting it. We can see the transmitter so thankfully could get
    >> wireless no problem. But even if you are not in direct line of sight you
    >> may well be able to squeak in.
    >>
    >> I have a neighbour over the hill who was not in direct line of site with
    >> our transmitter. He tried to get a stage 2 probe community link going,
    >> but there werent enough pple in the area to make it viable with the
    >> wireless company, so that wasnt an option for him. He then discovered
    >> that on a tiny section of his land he could see the transmitter and has
    >> since put his own relay tower up and cabled it down the hill to his home.
    >> He did most of the work himself.
    >>
    >> Incidentally they are off-grid too and generate everything by solar /
    >> water.
    >>
    >> Gay

    > Hi Gay,
    > the house is about 20kms away from Taihape as the crow flies, but there
    > are a lot of large hills in the way. Probably not an option, regrettably.
    >
    > Your neighbour is obviously in the fortunate position of having a
    > reasonable stream. Unfortunately we don't, so will have to go the
    > expensive way and put up lots of solar panels. But, oodles of roof space,
    > including two that face almost exactly the right direction.


    Hi there,

    I think they have a water ram and solar, but the stream the ram is on is
    just a trickle and dries up in summer so I think most of their energy comes
    from solar panels. We're lucky to be in a sunny spot and I think they have
    to top up if there is a dull patch in winter with a generator, but they dont
    do any water/house heating with is so I guess dont use a lot. But they do
    run a lot of elec equipment - computers etc

    Amazing how much you can get with solar. And wind too - they dont have a
    turbine as we dont get a lot of wind down our way, but we just did a site
    for a new micro wind turbine that looks pretty good for people in windy
    areas (www.stormrider.co.nz) . What kind of climate will you have in
    Taihape?

    Gay
     
    brazen, Jul 7, 2007
    #18
  19. Charles Foot

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 7, 8:32 am, Charles Foot <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    > > JohnO wrote:

    >
    > >> If the lay of the land suits, the other option is a wok based wifi
    > >> link into an access point in town. Such links can work over 5km or so.

    >
    > >> Google WiFry !!

    >
    > > 15 - 20km is easily achievable for sensible amounts of money.

    >
    > Any more info re this? We shall be situated about 20k from town as the
    > crow flies, but there are large hills in the way.


    You need line of sight though. If you have LOS to someone with
    broadband you could hook into them and share the account.
     
    JohnO, Jul 7, 2007
    #19
  20. Charles Foot

    Charles Foot Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 7, 8:32 am, Charles Foot <> wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> JohnO wrote:
    >>>> If the lay of the land suits, the other option is a wok based wifi
    >>>> link into an access point in town. Such links can work over 5km or so.
    >>>> Google WiFry !!
    >>> 15 - 20km is easily achievable for sensible amounts of money.

    >> Any more info re this? We shall be situated about 20k from town as the
    >> crow flies, but there are large hills in the way.

    >
    > You need line of sight though. If you have LOS to someone with
    > broadband you could hook into them and share the account.
    >

    Nearest neighbour is over a mile away. Can see the house, but I know for
    a fact that he has no broadband.
    Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks....
     
    Charles Foot, Jul 7, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIb21ld29vZA==?=

    Web Publishing Wizard service providers

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIb21ld29vZA==?=, May 25, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,088
    =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIb21ld29vZA==?=
    May 25, 2005
  2. Sheki_Sheki

    Dial up Internet Service Providers

    Sheki_Sheki, Dec 21, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    469
    Tim Kettring
    Dec 21, 2003
  3. Steve Blair
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,124
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Henrik_Bergstr=F6m?=
    Sep 11, 2003
  4. Marina

    Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems

    Marina, Dec 25, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    474
    Marina
    Dec 25, 2007
  5. Marina

    Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems

    Marina, Dec 25, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,085
    Marina
    Dec 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page