    causing problems in some applications.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:37:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
    >work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
    >who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
    >himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
    >have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
    >causing problems in some applications.

    Port blocking by the ISP?

    A NAT router not forwarding the proper ports?

    A firewall?
    Evan Platt, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Steve Freides wrote:

    > Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
    > work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
    > who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
    > himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
    > have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
    > causing problems in some applications.

    Most satellite links go one-way only (the big dish for download, a modem for
    sending requests). Besides latency, the routing paths are totally different
    then, which might confuse vpn authentication gateways.

    Walter Mautner, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Steve Freides

    Guest

    DirectWay (now Hughes) states quite clearly in the website that VPN
    works much slower. I have tried it (I am a Hughes subscriber) with my
    employer's VPN and basically the VPN did not function at all. As I
    recall, it has to do with the compression used by the satellite
    transmission - the VPN and the satellite-transmission compression are
    not 100% compatible. It's not that the VPN is NOT supposed to work, I
    suspect it just works so slowly that you may as well use a dial-up
    connection.

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
    > work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
    > who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
    > himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
    > have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
    > causing problems in some applications.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-
    , Aug 5, 2006
  5. Steve Freides

    Guest

    DirecWay (now Hughes) uses a fully two-way (duplex) satellite
    transmission. These services USED to depend on dial-up modem for the
    return path - not any longer (at least not on my system). Downstream
    speed is about 700 kpbs for basic services, upstream is about 125 kpbs.

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
    > > work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
    > > who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
    > > himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
    > > have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
    > > causing problems in some applications.
    > >

    > Most satellite links go one-way only (the big dish for download, a modem for
    > sending requests). Besides latency, the routing paths are totally different
    > then, which might confuse vpn authentication gateways.
    >
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    , Aug 5, 2006