Satellite, cable or ADSL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lisa, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    We're a work-at-home couple just arrived in Christchurch from
    California. We're sorting out our options for broadband (hate those
    caps, spoiled bastards that we are!) and are close to signing up for
    iHug's satellite service even though the uploads seem slow (and
    require a separate phone line?), mainly because the cap seems more
    reasonable. Also looked into the Saturn cable option, but are a bit
    turned off by the 56k uploads (requiring a separate phone line), low
    cap and modem rental charge. ADSL seems pretty good (1.2-1.8 mbps
    down, 700k up), but again, low cap.

    We want decent throughput but need enough bandwidth each month for
    gaming (Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies), lots of web browsing and misc.
    work stuff.

    I've been through the archives a bit already, but am hoping for some
    up-to-the-moment recommendations.

    Thanks!!

    Lisa

    Lisa, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Lisa

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:06:15 -0700, Lisa wrote:

    > I've been through the archives a bit already, but am hoping for some
    > up-to-the-moment recommendations.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Jetstart's bandwidth cap of 128kbps sucks, but most of us seem to survive
    quite comfortably with the 10GB monthly traffic cap.

    Avoid the faster Jetstream services - traffic allowances as low as
    400MB/month. If you buy those, you might also be interested in buying
    shares in a bridge :)

    There's a 256kbps service with option for no traffic cap - comes in at
    around $130/month - Walker Wireless I think.

    Evil Bastard, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Lisa

    Andy b Guest

    Hi i am in chch as well ,I use telstra clears cable option, its set at 256,
    with a 10 gig cap, for online games its fantastic, i had two different adsl
    connections and the pings i get with cable are around half that of adsl,
    which as you know are important for online mayhem!

    Andy b, Aug 21, 2003
  4. "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > We're a work-at-home couple just arrived in Christchurch from
    > California. We're sorting out our options for broadband (hate those
    > caps, spoiled bastards that we are!) and are close to signing up for
    > iHug's satellite service even though the uploads seem slow (and
    > require a separate phone line?), mainly because the cap seems more
    > reasonable. Also looked into the Saturn cable option, but are a bit
    > turned off by the 56k uploads (requiring a separate phone line), low
    > cap and modem rental charge. ADSL seems pretty good (1.2-1.8 mbps
    > down, 700k up), but again, low cap.
    >
    > We want decent throughput but need enough bandwidth each month for
    > gaming (Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies), lots of web browsing and misc.
    > work stuff.
    >
    > I've been through the archives a bit already, but am hoping for some
    > up-to-the-moment recommendations.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Lisa

    Consider the Saturn Paradise cable option as part of their package deals
    No separate phone line is required for the internet connection, its only
    connected to the TV coax, but the internet connection doesn't have a
    telephone circuit built in to it like ADSL
    The entry level service is 256k down 128k up, the international traffic cap
    is 10GB, and national traffic is rated at 10% of that
    There is a modem rental charge
    You get a static IP number which you can use for your own domain, and which
    makes it easy to configure your own VPN connection.
    You can still use dialup through paradise with your username and password
    with a cable account and the dialup time is added to your bill. I use a
    laptop dialup to connect by VPN to my home network.

    Howard Johnson, Aug 21, 2003
  5. On 20 Aug 2003 17:06:15 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

    >We're a work-at-home couple just arrived in Christchurch from
    >California. We're sorting out our options for broadband (hate those
    >caps, spoiled bastards that we are!) and are close to signing up for
    >iHug's satellite service even though the uploads seem slow (and
    >require a separate phone line?), mainly because the cap seems more
    >reasonable. Also looked into the Saturn cable option, but are a bit
    >turned off by the 56k uploads (requiring a separate phone line), low

    You have it all wrong the Cable cap is 10g and no phone line is used and its
    256k..

    Robert Kramer, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Hey, this is great info. I could have sworn she said we'd need a
    separate phone line, but I've talked to so many people, maybe I'm
    confused...

    We had 384k at home and found it slow sometimes. Do you guys find the
    256k sufficient?

    One more thing, too... should we buy the package with Saturn cable
    (with Sky) or get Sky satellite? I can't figure out the difference
    (except maybe the satellite has better digital quality?)

    Thanks!!

    Lisa

    Lisa, Aug 21, 2003
  7. "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, this is great info. I could have sworn she said we'd need a
    > separate phone line, but I've talked to so many people, maybe I'm
    > confused...
    >
    > We had 384k at home and found it slow sometimes. Do you guys find the
    > 256k sufficient?
    >
    > One more thing, too... should we buy the package with Saturn cable
    > (with Sky) or get Sky satellite? I can't figure out the difference
    > (except maybe the satellite has better digital quality?)
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Lisa

    It was always fast enough for me, but i'm not in to downloading huge files.
    Just browsing and gaming.

    Get cable modem and cable TV, you can get some of the sky stations added to
    the cable service. The quality of cable seems good.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Aug 21, 2003
  8. "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, this is great info. I could have sworn she said we'd need a
    > separate phone line, but I've talked to so many people, maybe I'm
    > confused...
    >
    > We had 384k at home and found it slow sometimes. Do you guys find the
    > 256k sufficient?

    Yup, it would only be slow if you were connected to a slow site, but faster
    is always better
    Get the package with Saturn cable

    Howard Johnson, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Lisa

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > We're a work-at-home couple just arrived in Christchurch from
    > California. We're sorting out our options for broadband (hate those
    > caps, spoiled bastards that we are!) and are close to signing up for
    > iHug's satellite service even though the uploads seem slow (and
    > require a separate phone line?), mainly because the cap seems more
    > reasonable. Also looked into the Saturn cable option, but are a bit
    > turned off by the 56k uploads (requiring a separate phone line), low
    > cap and modem rental charge. ADSL seems pretty good (1.2-1.8 mbps
    > down, 700k up), but again, low cap.
    >
    > We want decent throughput but need enough bandwidth each month for
    > gaming (Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies), lots of web browsing and misc.
    > work stuff.

    If you're into gaming, ADSL is not too bad, as you can connect to the Games
    realm, which doesn't eat into your MB allowance.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Aug 22, 2003
  10. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Well, we decided to follow all the excellent advice and get the Saturn
    package, only to find, as someone warned, that it isn't available in
    the part of Christchurch where we'll be living.

    So, it looks like it will have to be the iHug satellite, even though
    it's a pretty sucky solution with the extra phone line and slow-ass
    uploads.

    What's stupid is that we were just reading an article about why
    someone thinks broadband penetration isn't higher in NZ -- they were
    blaming it on how cheap dial-up is. Ha! I'm sure the bandwidth caps
    have nothing to do with it, eh?

    Great country and everything, but this is going to take some adjusting
    on our part.

    Thanks again for all the info!

    Lisa

    Lisa, Aug 22, 2003
  11. [OT]Re: Satellite, cable or ADSL

    "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > Well, we decided to follow all the excellent advice and get the Saturn
    > package, only to find, as someone warned, that it isn't available in
    > the part of Christchurch where we'll be living.
    >
    > So, it looks like it will have to be the iHug satellite, even though
    > it's a pretty sucky solution with the extra phone line and slow-ass
    > uploads.
    >
    > What's stupid is that we were just reading an article about why
    > someone thinks broadband penetration isn't higher in NZ -- they were
    > blaming it on how cheap dial-up is. Ha! I'm sure the bandwidth caps
    > have nothing to do with it, eh?
    >
    > Great country and everything, but this is going to take some adjusting
    > on our part.
    >
    > Thanks again for all the info!
    >
    > Lisa

    WOW, a chick on the newsgroup :)

    bugger, ruined my 'nice guy' image :-(

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Re: [OT]Re: Satellite, cable or ADSL

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message news:<Yko1b.123788$>...

    > WOW, a chick on the newsgroup :)
    >
    > bugger, ruined my 'nice guy' image :-(
    >
    > Russell

    Ha ha! Really? No girls here? Maybe I'll stick around... :) Y'all
    will have to forgive me, though, for occasionally saying stupid stuff.
    I really do think like a girl.

    Lisa

    Lisa, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Lisa

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    message news:<Yko1b.123788$>...

    > > WOW, a chick on the newsgroup :)
    > >
    > > bugger, ruined my 'nice guy' image :-(
    > >
    > > Russell

    > Ha ha! Really? No girls here? Maybe I'll stick around... :) Y'all
    > will have to forgive me, though, for occasionally saying stupid stuff.
    > I really do think like a girl.

    It's alright - so do half the blokes in here.

    Mr Scebe, Aug 23, 2003