Satellite Broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jun 7, 2011.

  1. Frank Williams, Jun 7, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <isklib$i33$>, says...
    >
    > On 7/06/2011 7:07 p.m., Mutley wrote:
    > > Frank Williams<> wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Costs far less than Fiber..
    > >>
    > >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

    > >
    > > Until the sat gets knocked out.

    >
    > And the latency is really good fun!


    Indeed, been there, done that, for a number of years. Latency on the phone up
    satellite down type of connection is fairly awful at times. Not to mention that
    it ties up your phone line.
    And if you want to look at satellite up&down connections I suggest: look at
    some of the offerings currently available in nz, look the data caps and the
    price of the subscription and ~shudder~, for instance farmside's 1gb data
    monthly for $89+GST. Iconz was all but cheap last time I looked at their plans.

    In fact, that's something that pisses me off about Farmside, they're the one
    isp in the country who quotes gst exclusive prices for everything, trying to
    make themselves look cheaper than they are - that alone stopped me from
    seriously looking at them as a potential isp recently ...

    Then there are satellite isp like bordernet that force you to put all traffic
    through their terrestrial proxy and limit ports and protocols to the point
    where half your shit doesn't even work. I ended up being their customer by way
    of ihug's satellite service being sold from ihug to iinet to bordernet. I got
    the heck away from them as soon as I could. Seriously disgruntled ex-customer
    here.

    Satellite is still considerably more expensive than broadband, be it fibre or
    be it copper. And it's less reliable, and much more laggy. The data allowances
    are anorexic compared to all other forms of high speed internet. Just NOT
    competitive at this point in time.

    -P.
     
    Peter Huebner, Jun 7, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Costs far less than Fiber..
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723


    Yet the last paragraph of the articles says

    "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    speed and price"
     
    victor, Jun 8, 2011
    #3
  4. On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

    >
    >Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >
    >"No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >speed and price"




    Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    world.


    So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 8, 2011
    #4
  5. Frank Williams

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:57:58 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

    >>
    >>Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >>
    >>"No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >>speed and price"

    >
    >
    >
    >Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    >world.
    >
    >
    >So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?


    If anyone but Woger - and his multitude of sockpuppets - can figure
    out what he's written is supposed to mean, please send your answers to
    Project Enigma.

    In the meantime, would Woger please take his Whop Whops medication as
    prescribed.
     
    Donchano, Jun 8, 2011
    #5
  6. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723

    >>
    >> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >>
    >> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >> speed and price"

    >
    >
    >
    > Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    > world.
    >


    That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
    Most of the world has ADSL

    >
    > So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?
    >


    A satellite over Europe is going to be **** all use to him.
    Rural properties in Wairarapa use a wireless ISP
    http://www.wizbiz.co.nz/
     
    victor, Jun 8, 2011
    #6
  7. In message <isnhsi$d7n$>, victor wrote:

    > That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.


    I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2011
    #7
  8. Frank Williams

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Ralph Fox, Jun 8, 2011
    #8
  9. In article <>, d
    says...
    >
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message <isnhsi$d7n$>
    > victor wrote:
    >
    > > That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >
    > Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)
    >
    > Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/topics?start=56910&sa=N


    :-D

    My earliest usenet post that shows up in google groups dates Sept 1991,
    in comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Almost 20 years ... don't think I started
    lurking in nz.comp until quite a few years later.

    I remember only too well how Mosaic came out and I was thinking to myself
    what a load of rubbish that idea was - downloading 100kb pictures while on a
    toll call with a 2400baud modem ... the cost would've been prohibitive.

    As it were, I just chucked out a whole lot of old financial paperwork last week
    and found a 1992 account from Iconz for my shell account that I had with them
    for a little while (and cancelled because it, too, was way too expensive to
    maintain for me with the price of tolls at that time and my income being halved
    by Rogernomics -- uucp was a much more cost effective way of doing things).

    -P.
     
    Peter Huebner, Jun 8, 2011
    #9
  10. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message<isnhsi$d7n$>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >
    > I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.


    Good for you.
    So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world
     
    victor, Jun 9, 2011
    #10
  11. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 9/06/2011 6:58 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message<isnhsi$d7n$>
    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >
    > Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)
    >
    > Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/topics?start=56910&sa=N
    >
    >

    Nah, instead of being a pedantic dick just tell us whether NZ is 15
    years behind the rest of the world, or 18 years or 13 years or whatever
    woger is blathering about
     
    victor, Jun 9, 2011
    #11
  12. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 9/06/2011 8:37 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    > victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
    >>>>
    >>>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >>>>
    >>>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >>>> speed and price"
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    >>> world.
    >>>

    >>
    >> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
    >> Most of the world has ADSL
    >>

    >
    > Guess you must be a 12 year old then. I seem to remember it back in
    > 1995 and earlier..


    Well that's near enough for me.
    If NZ was 15 years behind you would be on Win 95 14.4 dialup with
    netscape making pages on geocities with HotDog
     
    victor, Jun 9, 2011
    #12
  13. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 9/06/2011 9:24 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:

    >
    > My earliest usenet post that shows up in google groups dates Sept 1991,
    > in comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Almost 20 years ... don't think I started
    > lurking in nz.comp until quite a few years later.
    >
    > I remember only too well how Mosaic came out and I was thinking to myself
    > what a load of rubbish that idea was - downloading 100kb pictures while on a
    > toll call with a 2400baud modem ... the cost would've been prohibitive.
    >
    > As it were, I just chucked out a whole lot of old financial paperwork last week
    > and found a 1992 account from Iconz for my shell account that I had with them
    > for a little while (and cancelled because it, too, was way too expensive to
    > maintain for me with the price of tolls at that time and my income being halved
    > by Rogernomics -- uucp was a much more cost effective way of doing things).
    >
    > -P.


    There's nothing more certain to start a pissing match.
     
    victor, Jun 9, 2011
    #13
  14. On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:46:52 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<isnhsi$d7n$>, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >>
    >> I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.

    >
    >Good for you.
    >So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world



    This Swedish chap thinks so and I agree, he was imported here to help
    NZ..
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011
    #14
  15. On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:51:31 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 9/06/2011 6:58 a.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, in message<isnhsi$d7n$>
    >> victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >>
    >> Explain how the first web browsers are over 18 years old
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser)
    >>
    >> Explain how nz.comp has posts over 18 years old:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/topics?start=56910&sa=N
    >>
    >>

    >Nah, instead of being a pedantic dick just tell us whether NZ is 15
    >years behind the rest of the world, or 18 years or 13 years or whatever
    >woger is blathering about




    No not me I am just the Reporter..
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011
    #15
  16. On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:56:08 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 9/06/2011 8:37 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    >> victor<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >>>>> speed and price"
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    >>>> world.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
    >>> Most of the world has ADSL
    >>>

    >>
    >> Guess you must be a 12 year old then. I seem to remember it back in
    >> 1995 and earlier..

    >
    >Well that's near enough for me.
    >If NZ was 15 years behind you would be on Win 95 14.4 dialup with
    >netscape making pages on geocities with HotDog




    Well just look at NZ Rail, I don't need to say more..


    The heath system here the child mortality rate, it goes on and on..

    Mickey mouse governments, Corrupt Local Councils that I have facts on.
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011
    #16
  17. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 9/06/2011 6:13 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:46:52 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/06/2011 10:16 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In message<isnhsi$d7n$>, victor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
    >>>
    >>> I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.

    >>
    >> Good for you.
    >> So is New Zealand 15 years behind the rest of the world

    >
    >
    > This Swedish chap thinks so and I agree, he was imported here to help
    > NZ..
    >
    >

    You will have to provide better proof than that.
     
    victor, Jun 9, 2011
    #17
  18. On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:10:06 +1200, victor <> wrote:

    >On 8/06/2011 7:57 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:35:11 +1200, victor<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 7/06/2011 5:05 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Costs far less than Fiber..
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13616723
    >>>
    >>> Yet the last paragraph of the articles says
    >>>
    >>> "No-one would suggest that satellites can match terrestrial fibre on
    >>> speed and price"

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes but that is not New Zealand that is 15 years behind the rest of the
    >> world.
    >>

    >
    >That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.
    >Most of the world has ADSL
    >

    I am refering to New Zealand in General nothing at all do do with
    Internet..

    >> So what about the Farmers that is up a mountain in the Whop Whops..?
    >>

    >
    >A satellite over Europe is going to be **** all use to him.
    >Rural properties in Wairarapa use a wireless ISP
    >http://www.wizbiz.co.nz/
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011
    #18
  19. On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 22:16:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <isnhsi$d7n$>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> That's rubbish the internet didn't exist 15 years ago.

    >
    >I’ve been using the Internet in NZ since about 1988.



    Mine was when Actrix started some 1989..

    First public ISP here..

    Then Jon Clarke opened one in Aulk a bit later..
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2011
    #19
  20. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 7/06/2011 9:19 p.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
    ..
    >
    > In fact, that's something that pisses me off about Farmside, they're the one
    > isp in the country who quotes gst exclusive prices for everything, trying to
    > make themselves look cheaper than they are - that alone stopped me from
    > seriously looking at them as a potential isp recently ...


    When your main market is business, then you typically quote GST ex, and
    with a name like farmside, I expect they are targetting farms, so its
    correct.

    If it was "country homestead-side" then perhaps your complaint would be
    valid. I think call plus are all ex GST. I know that the quotes from the
    business parts of other ISPs are as I was looking at some recently.
     
    Richard, Jun 9, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ross

    Re: Europe Online Broadband via Satellite?

    Ross, Aug 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    872
  2. Enrico Guado

    Re: Europe Online Broadband via Satellite?

    Enrico Guado, Sep 27, 2003, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,527
    Enrico Guado
    Sep 27, 2003
  3. Scott Dunaway

    Satellite Broadband?

    Scott Dunaway, Oct 13, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    513
    mbowen83
    Oct 23, 2004
  4. Marina

    Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems

    Marina, Dec 25, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    492
    Marina
    Dec 25, 2007
  5. Marina

    Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems

    Marina, Dec 25, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,105
    Marina
    Dec 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page