Satelite TV Guru needed.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. Scenario:

    Exisiting house has FTA dish with 3 horns(?)

    Gets FTA TV fine and can receive B1, B3 & D1 through FTA decoder.

    What I want to do is remove the FTA decoder and put the SKY decoder in.

    Tried it, can't, SKY decoder just has the rainfade signal, tried SKY
    help desk who walked me through the LBN settings, no luck.

    The funny thing is that when I use a splitter and leave both the FTA &
    SKY decoders in together, I can get Sky......

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
    Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)

    Southern Kiwi, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Scenario:
    >
    > Exisiting house has FTA dish with 3 horns(?)
    >
    > Gets FTA TV fine and can receive B1, B3 & D1 through FTA decoder.
    >
    > What I want to do is remove the FTA decoder and put the SKY decoder in.
    >
    > Tried it, can't, SKY decoder just has the rainfade signal, tried SKY
    > help desk who walked me through the LBN settings, no luck.
    >
    > The funny thing is that when I use a splitter and leave both the FTA &
    > SKY decoders in together, I can get Sky......
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Simplest solution would be to remove any switchesm, and connect the Sky
    decoder directly to the LBN for Optus D1.

    You will probably find if you change the channel on the FTA receiver,
    that Sky will only work when viewing channels on Optus D1.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 26, 2007

  3. The Other Guy wrote:
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:

    Looks like we both made the same typing error... should be LNB, not LBN.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 26, 2007
  4. The Other Guy wrote:
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> Scenario:
    >>
    >> Exisiting house has FTA dish with 3 horns(?)
    >>
    >> Gets FTA TV fine and can receive B1, B3 & D1 through FTA decoder.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is remove the FTA decoder and put the SKY decoder in.
    >>
    >> Tried it, can't, SKY decoder just has the rainfade signal, tried SKY
    >> help desk who walked me through the LBN settings, no luck.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that when I use a splitter and leave both the FTA &
    >> SKY decoders in together, I can get Sky......
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Simplest solution would be to remove any switchesm, and connect the Sky
    > decoder directly to the LBN for Optus D1.
    >
    > You will probably find if you change the channel on the FTA receiver,
    > that Sky will only work when viewing channels on Optus D1.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Yeap, that is the scenario, I was hoping to leave all hardware as is and
    get a decoder software setting fix.

    Ahh well knew it was going to be a tough weekend when I ripped the rca
    plug off the end of my expensive 10m component cable trying to pull it
    through the studs in the wall :-(

    Southern Kiwi, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Yeap, that is the scenario, I was hoping to leave all hardware as is and
    > get a decoder software setting fix.
    >
    > Ahh well knew it was going to be a tough weekend when I ripped the rca
    > plug off the end of my expensive 10m component cable trying to pull it
    > through the studs in the wall :-(

    I feel your pain.

    Might be better to consider running cheap Cat 5 cable through the walls
    in the future.

    http://www.govideo.co.nz/Catalogue/Baluns/balun component video YUV RGB.html

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 28, 2007