    intel processor 920 D
    1024Mb-ram
    nvidia 6600GT-video
    =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=, Jan 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    In Device Manager look for the hard drive controller, and install the
    drivers from there. It would normally be in Other Devices / Unknown device.

    John Barnes, Jan 14, 2007

  3. SATA isn't really SCSI on it's own, it's a convenient way for the OS to set
    it up. You shouldn't have to tell the OS anything, as far as I can say. The
    only two interfaces you have for making adjustments that I can see, would be
    the BIOS and the the RAID manager (if you were to do anything of that) +
    perhaps your choice of driver(s).

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are right, Tony, I didn't look at the subject and with an nForce chip
    they don't show as SCSI. One other place to adjust is the firmware if the
    SATAII isn't providing all the functions. My Hitachi has a firmware program
    to change settings (i.e. from SATA speed to SATAII speed + others) on my
    Samsung, it is a switch on the drive.

    John Barnes, Jan 14, 2007
  5. ooops, MSI 945g series mb

    =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=, Jan 14, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    No. Just adding other suggestions to Tony's. I am unfamiliar with the
    drive. I pointed out two other ways that SATAII drives have of adding
    functionality. I don't understand the specifics of what features you feel
    you are lacking.

    John Barnes, Jan 14, 2007
  7. Yes, I too am unfamiliar with that specific gear. Have a look in your manual
    that came with the board, it should describe the chipset and the SATA
    interface, once you're over the hurdles of 'Far East English', the
    technicalities are usually quite good and precise. The HD shouldn't have any
    impact, I think.

    > So your saying just go into bios a make the adjustment there.
    >

    > "John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    > > You are right, Tony, I didn't look at the subject and with an nForce

    chip
    > > they don't show as SCSI. One other place to adjust is the firmware if

    the
    > > SATAII isn't providing all the functions. My Hitachi has a firmware

    program
    > > to change settings (i.e. from SATA speed to SATAII speed + others) on my
    > > Samsung, it is a switch on the drive.
    > >
    > > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > > SATA isn't really SCSI on it's own, it's a convenient way for the OS

    > > > set
    > > > it up. You shouldn't have to tell the OS anything, as far as I can

    say.
    > > > The
    > > > only two interfaces you have for making adjustments that I can see,

    would
    > > > be
    > > > the BIOS and the the RAID manager (if you were to do anything of that)

    +
    > > > perhaps your choice of driver(s).
    > > >

    > > > Tony. . .
    > > >

    > > > "_heavenshelp1" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Jan 14, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    RR Guest

    _heavenshelp1 wrote:
    > I made a flub while installing the hd in win xp x64.I didnt tell win to look
    > for scsi device. Is there a way to correct this so the sys will reconize the
    > increased capabilities of the drive.
    > the drive is.... WDC WD160JS-22MHBO
    > controller is...intel(R) 82801GB/GH (ICH7Family) Serial ATA Storage
    > Controller-27C0
    > intel processor 920 D
    > 1024Mb-ram
    > nvidia 6600GT-video

    ATA used to be IDE or an IDE standard. Im pretty sure it still is.

    Also Windows should pickup the harddrive from the BIOS. You should not
    have to set anything up as far as the harddrive goes in Windows. The
    BIOS should "autodetect" the harrdrive....
    RR, Jan 15, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    Theo Guest

    ATA is a standard, but there are 2 versions - Serial ATA and
    Parallel ATA. Parallel ATA (PATA) is the old IDE. Serial
    ATA (SATA) is the new kid in town for about the last 3 - 4
    years.

    Windows will pick up PATA drives and most SATA drives.
    However, depending on the MB BIOS, the SATA drives might be
    either straight SATA drives or they may be in a RAID
    configuration. If the BIOS has a SATA option, Windows can
    recognize most of the configurations. If RAID is selected
    in the BIOS, then most of the time an additional storage
    driver is required during set-up (F6 in Win XP) regardless
    of how the SATA drives are configured; i.e. RAID or non-RAID.

    Theo, Jan 15, 2007
  10. Yes, SATA is very much an IDE extension until you supply a driver (drivers
    being tied to specific OS's) usually then, the OS hooks it up with the SCSI
    subsystem, I don't know why this is done, but the same thing happens with
    CD/DVD burners, they too become SCSI, as seen from the OS - while the
    ordinary CD/DVD Rom part (of the same device!) stays IDE (if it all isn't
    SCSI to begin with, of course), I imagine that it is simply one convenient
    way to do it, and Linux does it too.

    There is one complication to this, though. After the driver is in place the
    knowledge of it ties back to the BIOS somehow, so now here too, it is seen
    as a SCSI drive and enumerated long after the IDE drives. This interferes
    with dual-booting mixed IDE/SATA on some (earlier?) motherboards, and the
    basics of it all is usually hidden away behind a SATA configuration item
    inside the BIOS.

    It occurs to me that the idea of tweaking the system for maximum theoretical
    speed may have relation to the physical SATA connectors on the board. Modern
    motherboards often have up to six (or more) SATA connectors, the efficiency
    may have relation to what connectors are used and/or in what order they are
    being utilized? As I said, I don't know the board. My Asus has SATA
    implemented by two different chips with separate connectors, and I believe
    the two have different performance?

    The manual will be the natural source of information.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 15, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?X2hlYXZlbnNoZWxwMQ==?=

    Theo Guest

    It depends mostly on the BIOS options. I have 2 K8T800Pro
    boards and they treat SATA differently.

    One is a MSI Neo2-F and the BIOS has the options of either
    DISABLED, SATA, or RAID. When I select SATA no additional
    driver is needed during installation and the drive(s) are
    identified as IDE with double Primary and Secondary IDE
    channel entries in the Device Manager. If I select RAID an
    additional driver is needed during installation and the
    drive(s) are identified as SCSI. The nVidia chips had this
    from the start and this is why people were able to install
    to SATA without using F6 if you did not configure a RAID

    The other board, ASUS A8V, does not have have a choice
    between RAID or SATA, it's either ENABLED or DISABLED. The
    ENABLED option enables the SATA channel and within the SATA
    BIOS you either configure a RAID or you don't. Either way
    an additional driver is needed during setup.

    Either way, SATA or RAID, I experienced enumeration
    problems. Installing Win x64 to a SATA (IDE - no RAID)
    drive, my PATA drive was included in the enumeration.
    Installing Win x64 to a PATA drive, the SATA (IDE - no RAID)
    was completely ignored.

    Theo, Jan 15, 2007
  12. Quite - although the BIOS is written to comply with the capabilities of the
    chipset, and sometimes only a superficial semblence of compatibility, at
    that! But it's true, the user's only way to interface with these functions
    are via the BIOS, or possibly the driver. The functionality, though, remains
    hidden. Something in the IDE standard has to be standing in the way for some
    of this functionality (burner and RAID!) otherwise, there would be no need
    for implementing this as SCSI at all.

    Your K8T800's - isn't that VIA chipsets? And isn't VIA the most flimsily
    revised chipsets on the planet?

    (Although, very good when they chose to work)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 16, 2007