    one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    IDE cable? Thanks.
    Scribner, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Scribner wrote:

    > I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    > my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    > IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    > drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    > because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an

    You say the board has two sata ports, so use the 2nd one for the old drive
    and you are done. What you may need, is a power (ide/molex to sata) adapter
    cable.

    > adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    > me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    > one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    > with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    > IDE cable? Thanks.

    If you already ran out of sata ports, buy a cheap pci sata card. Makes far
    less headaches.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Scribner

    *Less* Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message ..
    >I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    > my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    > IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    > drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    > because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    > adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    > me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    > one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    > with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    > IDE cable? Thanks.

    Hello Walter,

    What I usually do look at the male plug then look at the female and if they mach I plug in
    there.
    Please do not follow my expertise it not always works.

    Try here instead: http://tinyurl.com/ckcgsa

    Good Luck, *Less*
    *Less*, Mar 7, 2009
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:33:56 -0600, "*Less*" <**> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message ..
    >>I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    >> my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    >> IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    >> drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    >> because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    >> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >> IDE cable? Thanks.

    >Hello Walter,
    >
    >What I usually do look at the male plug then look at the female and if they mach I plug in
    >there.
    >Please do not follow my expertise it not always works.
    >
    >Try here instead: http://tinyurl.com/ckcgsa
    >
    >Good Luck, *Less*

    Link doesn't work. Sorry.
    Scribner, Mar 7, 2009
  5. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:41:13 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    >> my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    >> IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    >> drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    >> because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an

    >You say the board has two sata ports, so use the 2nd one for the old drive
    >and you are done. What you may need, is a power (ide/molex to sata) adapter
    >cable.

    I have pleanty of SATA power nodes on my power supply. And I am using
    both SATA ports currently.

    >> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >> IDE cable? Thanks.

    >If you already ran out of sata ports, buy a cheap pci sata card. Makes far
    >less headaches.

    Except that with my extra USB cards, I have no more PCI slots
    available.
    Scribner, Mar 7, 2009
  6. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 10:48:46 -0000, "Band" <>
    wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    >> my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    >> IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    >> drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    >> because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    >> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >> IDE cable? Thanks.

    >The easiest and it is also the huge advantage of SATA
    >is to configure a sata RAID array, that is sort of piggy backing
    >each drive, sata-sata-sata port. It will be seen as one large volume.
    >Just google "configuring sata RAID array".

    Thanks but I don't want one large volumn. I have things broken down
    to 11 different volumns for a reason. To make it all one would mean
    that I would have to throw away my regisrty and re-install everything.
    I don't want to do that.

    Scribner, Mar 7, 2009
  7. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 04:07:49 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    >> my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    >> IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    >> drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    >> because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    >> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >> IDE cable? Thanks.

    >The master/slave jumper is on the adaptor itself...
    >but since you said your mobo has SATA ports why not just use one of them?

    Because one SATA port is for my root directory and one is being used
    for my utility drive. My computer has 4 hard drives and 2 burners.
    Scribner, Mar 7, 2009
  8. Scribner

    VanguardLH Guest

    Scribner wrote:

    > I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    > my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    > IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    > drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    > because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    > adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    > me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    > one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    > with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    > IDE cable? Thanks.

    From your post, all we can tell is that you have more than one SATA
    drive ("one of my SATA drives"). You have 2 SATA port so if you have 2
    SATA ports ("it has ... two SATA ports") so I'm not sure what is the
    problem. Do you now have 3, or more, SATA drives? Yet you say "just
    one drive plugged into one SATA port". This makes it appear there is an
    unused SATA port.

    If you are looking to connect a SATA drive to an IDE port, you could use
    an adapter.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186054
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200156

    Of, if you have a spare PCI [Express] slot, use a SATA port card:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280004
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815280009

    (Above are only examples. I haven't used them and cannot recommend.)
    VanguardLH, Mar 7, 2009
  9. Scribner wrote:

    > I have pleanty of SATA power nodes on my power supply. And I am using
    > both SATA ports currently.

    Ok, so you need more SATA ports.

    >>> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >>> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >>> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >>> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >>> IDE cable? Thanks.

    Depends. If you can find a ide/sata adapter with master/slave switch/jumper,
    you will be able to do. But the ide cable alone is a point of failure,
    limited in length (more so with high UDMA rates) and may become unreliable
    for even the already attached master drive, with some extra adapter
    connected.

    >>If you already ran out of sata ports, buy a cheap pci sata card. Makes far
    >>less headaches.

    > Except that with my extra USB cards, I have no more PCI slots
    > available.

    Rather use a usb hub for the low-speed devices, to save one pci slot for a
    pci/sata card.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 7, 2009
  10. Scribner

    *Less* Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:33:56 -0600, "*Less*" <**> wrote:
    >

    >>"Scribner" <> wrote in message ..
    >>>I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to throw away all of
    >>> my components when I upgraded. It has the usual Primary and Secondary
    >>> IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just upgraded one of my SATA
    >>> drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to mothball the old drive
    >>> because it is larger than my IDE hard drives. I was going to buy an
    >>> adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE cable when a question occurred to
    >>> me. SATA drives are not slaved. There is just one drive plugged into
    >>> one SATA port. So, can I plug an adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable
    >>> with a slaved IDE drive? Or can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the
    >>> IDE cable? Thanks.

    >>Hello Walter,
    >>
    >>What I usually do look at the male plug then look at the female and if they mach I plug
    >>in
    >>there.
    >>Please do not follow my expertise it not always works.
    >>
    >>Try here instead: http://tinyurl.com/ckcgsa
    >>
    >>Good Luck, *Less*
    >>

    > Link doesn't work. Sorry.

    Sorry, it works on my Computer,

    Here is the long version:
    http://www.google.ca/search?client=...&hl=en&q=sata to ide&meta=&btnG=Google Search
    *Less*, Mar 8, 2009
  11. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:41:11 -0600, "*Less*" <**> wrote:

    >"Scribner" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hello Walter,
    >>>
    >>>What I usually do look at the male plug then look at the female and if they mach I plug
    >>>in
    >>>there.
    >>>Please do not follow my expertise it not always works.
    >>>
    >>>Try here instead: http://tinyurl.com/ckcgsa
    >>>
    >>>Good Luck, *Less*
    >>>

    >> Link doesn't work. Sorry.

    >Sorry, it works on my Computer,
    >
    >Here is the long version:
    >http://www.google.ca/search?client=...&hl=en&q=sata to ide&meta=&btnG=Google Search

    Got it. Thanks.
    Scribner, Mar 8, 2009
  12. Scribner

    George Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 04:07:49 -0600, "philo"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a legacy motherboard because I didn't want to
    >>> throw away all
    >>> of my components when I upgraded. It has the usual
    >>> Primary and
    >>> Secondary IDE connections plus two SATA ports. I just
    >>> upgraded one
    >>> of my SATA drives to a bigger drive and I would hate to
    >>> mothball
    >>> the old drive because it is larger than my IDE hard
    >>> drives. I was
    >>> going to buy an adapter to plug the SATA into an IDE
    >>> cable when a
    >>> question occurred to me. SATA drives are not slaved.
    >>> There is
    >>> just one drive plugged into one SATA port. So, can I
    >>> plug an
    >>> adapted SATA drive into an IDE cable with a slaved IDE
    >>> drive? Or
    >>> can I only plug in 1 SATA drive into the IDE cable?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> The master/slave jumper is on the adaptor itself...
    >> but since you said your mobo has SATA ports why not just
    >> use one of
    >> them?
    >>

    > Because one SATA port is for my root directory and one is
    > being used
    > for my utility drive. My computer has 4 hard drives and 2
    > burners.

    Mine has 7 drives and 2 burners. Buy an external drive
    enclosure. SATA to USB. Plug it in and you're done!
    George, Mar 8, 2009
  13. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 20:23:28 -1000, wetpixel <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Scribner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:41:13 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >You say the board has two sata ports, so use the 2nd one for the old drive
    >> >and you are done. What you may need, is a power (ide/molex to sata) adapter
    >> >cable.
    >> >

    >> I have pleanty of SATA power nodes on my power supply. And I am using
    >> both SATA ports currently.

    >> >If you already ran out of sata ports, buy a cheap pci sata card. Makes far
    >> >less headaches.

    >> Except that with my extra USB cards, I have no more PCI slots
    >> available.

    >What?
    >USB can be connected via many other methods: it's chainable.
    >Besides that, USB cards can have more than one or two ports per card,
    >and are inexpensive.
    >(Are you really using two or three USB cards inside the computer, for
    >so many USB devices at the same time, and instead of a simple hub? Can
    >you really not think of a way to do without a few of those USB devices
    >simultaneously?)
    >
    >You're trying to solve a simple problem with complexity just to avoid a
    >cheap and easy solution!

    Hubs don't supply enough power unless it is a powered hub. I have had
    so many problems with hubs so I went with the cards. Also, I have a
    built-in card reader that needs to be plugged into a card.
    Scribner, Mar 9, 2009