    get one to install internal. Most look like they would not mount in this
    bay.???
    thanks, Jeff

    McWideGlide, May 3, 2006

  2. McWideGlide

    Plato Guest

    McWideGlide wrote:

    Check if the backup ware you want to use will work for the type of drive
    you want to install.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 3, 2006

  3. McWideGlide

    PC Guest

    "McWideGlide" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
    >additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or
    >will any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite
    >drive? I was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external
    >HD . I have a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is
    >practical to get one to install internal. Most look like they would not
    >mount in this bay.???
    > thanks, Jeff

    Jeff

    Simplest:
    Buy the USB external drive and a copy of Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.
    Run the software whenever you want a backup/image point.
    Downside is you have to remember to do your backups!!, upside is your image
    file is unlikely to fill the external drive so you gain extra capacity for
    data storage.
    Brand / capacity is entirely up to you (ie do you buy a
    Toyota/Nissan/Ford/Lada!!!)

    Most Automatic:
    Check you have a second SATA port and Raid 1 (mirroring) on your
    motherboard, install a second Sata drive of the same size as your original.
    Note this may require reinstallation of Windows (I've never added a drive
    'after' the OS is installed, only to an already two drive setup)
    Downside is no extra capacity, upside if one drive dies the other will
    automatically carry on till you replace the crook drive.

    I'm not to sure what your problem is with your 'spare' drive bay not being
    suitable.
    If you are refering to the 5.25" drive bay that CD/DVD's fit into then there
    are adaptor cradles available to mount a 3.5" hard drive in a 5.25" bay.
    Alternatively if you open your case there is likely a spare 3.5" bay
    under/over your Floppy drive bay.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, May 3, 2006
  4. McWideGlide

    doS Guest

    if you have 1 harddrive you arent using raid

    doS, May 3, 2006
  5. McWideGlide

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-03, McWideGlide <> wrote:
    > I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
    > additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or will
    > any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite drive? I
    > was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external HD . I have
    > a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is practical to
    > get one to install internal. Most look like they would not mount in this
    > bay.???
    > thanks, Jeff

    Internal is OK but you do need to make sure it will fit and that the power
    connector and cable will reach and that your motherboard or card is
    compatible.
    Some very wimpy power supplies will fail faster when the extra HD starts
    drawing power- It's on all the time. Externals can be on sale for non-sale
    price of an internal. Externals can also be useful if you have more than one
    computer but minimal/no networking.

    No matter which type, you might consider the noise factor. Noisy internals
    can be a bigger letdown since they are on all the time. A noisy external
    can be turned off.

    The backup software you use will determine how special the match has to be.
    Norton Ghost is 'sorta' a standard:
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/features.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10

    Maxtor is a good brand. Seagate externals are good. My made in china 300GB
    Seagate cost $.70/GB on sale. It came with Firewire and USB cables-
    something else to consider.

    --
    Backing up data is a good idea.

    Jimchip, May 3, 2006
  6. McWideGlide

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 00:43:25 +0000, McWideGlide wrote:

    > I would like to back up / mirror my sata 0 drive. I know I need to buy an
    > additional hard drive. Do I need a special one to back up this drive or
    > will any hard drive of appropriate size work. Any one have a favorite
    > drive? I was looking at the Maxtor one touch II 300GB.This is an external
    > HD . I have a third drive bay in the tower available and wonder if it is
    > practical to get one to install internal. Most look like they would not
    > mount in this bay.???
    > thanks, Jeff

    I use a removable IDE drive.

    Meat Plow, May 3, 2006