    I want to get a new motherboard and was wondering, and can't seem to find
    the answer, would a SATA II be backwards compatible with a SATA hard drive?

    Josh Higgs

    Josh Higgs, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Josh Higgs

    JohnO Guest

    Josh Higgs wrote:
    > I want to get a new motherboard and was wondering, and can't seem to find
    > the answer, would a SATA II be backwards compatible with a SATA hard drive?

    Right, same thing but the II is just potentially faster. The cool thing
    to look for is an eSATA port. This will allow you to have external
    drives running at the raw speed of the SATA port/hdd. IOW, way faster
    than USB or Firewire will *ever* run. And, 2 meter cables are possible.

    -John O

    JohnO, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Josh Higgs

    JohnO Guest

    According to two sources (Wiki and Mueller's 17th), SATA II is 3 Gb/s,
    (300 MB/s) and Firewire 800 is 800 Mb/s (100 MB/s).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

    Although, they both could be wrong.

    -John O

    JohnO, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Josh Higgs

    JohnO Guest

    ....I'm actually glad you questioned it because it made me double
    check...never trust Wiki absolutely. I'd really hate to put a mistake
    like that in a book. ;-)

    -John O

    JohnO, Dec 21, 2006