    (I will, of course, instruct the person to be informative of the general
    context in the future and to post to the un-named group for everybody's
    benefit)
    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006

  2. Should work well without any adjustments.
    Some SATA 2 drives need to be jumpered to work as SATA 1 drives on older
    motherboards.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    One of the requirements of the SATAII spec was backward compatibility.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  4. O.K. - Thanks!

    Good point about the jumper!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  5. Yes, I did think it was. Being confronted like this, and not recalling the
    context I thought it pertinent to put my answer to some public scrutiny.

    +, we might be looking forward to a new customer?

    Thanks, guys!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    This is the opposite of what you described. This is to make a new drive
    work on an OLD mobo. You described an old drive on a NEW mobo.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  7. Well. . .actually, I think both are quite new (newish?). Someone trying to
    buy competent gear at a good price? What was nice about the jumper is that
    it merrits remembering across different situations - your understanding fits
    precisely as you expressed it! :)

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  8. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Just for the record, the 'jumper' can be either physical or firmware
    (Hitachi has a firmware, Samsung has physical)

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Should work fine. You can have some issues with the reverse situation
    (SATAII drives on SATAI mobo), but most drives have a jumper (physical or
    firmware) to force them to be stupid. In this case, your mobo knows that
    there are SATAI drives out there and backwards compatibility is built in.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  10. Gee, I've never bumped into one of those. Notebook stuff, perchance?

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006
  11. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't know about Notebook. My PC Hitachi has firmware 'jumpers' for several
    SATAII functions that can make it seem like a SATA drive to the BIOS
    selection of 300g-150g being one.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2006
  12. That is also true of Seagate drives used with some ExpressCard/34 adaptors
    on laptops.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 14, 2006
  13. Seagate has a physical also.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 14, 2006
  14. Tony:
    Looking in the bios under IDE functions should list SATA and SATA II
    options on the newer motherboards.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 14, 2006
  15. Yes, I did pass on that sort of message, but you never know - most people
    don't read the stuff on the screen, they only look at the things they are
    expecting to see. I did that myself when I was new to this. I really had to
    make an effort to start reading the stuff that was there in plain view. That
    was the defining moment for me I think, from then on it all was so much
    easier.

    And then, all BIOS's are not born equal - I sometimes wonder myself how they
    manage to hide some of those options. Might end up with a lenghty tutorial
    to explain such things.

    As it turns out I had a respons that indicates the info got thru and all was
    'honky dory'.

    Thanks, everybody!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2006