    installed with. Same error with both.

    Any ideas?

    Lee

    Lee, May 10, 2005

  2. "Lee" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi folks:
    > I'm having a problem with an SATA drive. The bios finds it fine,
    > WinXP preps the drive and installs fine. But on first boot I get an
    > error, "Error loading operating system."
    >
    > The all components are new; the drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax 9 160gb.
    > I have tried it with an MSI mobo, as well as the Shuttle it is to be
    > installed with. Same error with both.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When you were installing Windows, did you hit F6 at the very beginning when
    it says "Press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" and install
    the SATA/RAID drivers from the floppy disk? You probably did since you say
    it "preps the drive and installs fine", but just thought I would ask.

    Beyond that, I'd try booting into recovery console and doing a fixmbr and/or
    fixboot. That will fix this problem if the master boot record or the boot
    sector somehow got corrupted or were never properly created during
    installation. It's rare, but I have seen it happen right after installation
    on some systems.

    Patrick Michael, May 10, 2005

  3. Lee

    James C Guest

    Hi

    Although I have a gigabyte board, to get my PC to boot properly I set
    the drive to behave as IDE port 0 on my PC. I'm not sure if MSI has this
    option, but it may have something similar.

    Remember...Windows can have trouble booting drives over 137gb...

    James C, May 10, 2005