    can't understand why one has to provide a floppy with the drivers. What is
    wrong with a CD? Can anyone give me a reasonalbe explanation.

    Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3Zlbg==?=, Aug 9, 2005

  2. This might help:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=13173
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 9, 2005

  3. I don't think anyone, including those inside MS, will tell you that they like
    the situation. But here's my understanding of it -- the setup/install routine
    has been around for a _very_ long time -- since Windows NT 3.1, the first
    version of Windows NT. It is as bug free as anything can be by now. And a
    _huge_ number of things are dependent on it, and expect it to work in a
    certain way. So changing the code for it is not something done lightly, and
    certainly not something done in a service pack release. (Keep in mind, x64
    Edition is really only Windows Server 2003 SP1, but a 64-bit version of it.)

    In the next major release of Windows, Windows Vista (client) and whatever the
    server version is called, there will be an entirely new installation routine.
    It will go through a rigorous and lengthy beta cycle, and people will have
    time to change their code that depends on the way the current one functions.
    But until then, we get to hunt around for a floppy if we're trying to install
    on most (but not all) SATA controllers.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Hello,
    Charlie is correct. This is not an easy problem to solve in an the
    existing operating system.
    We understand the pain, however there isn't an easy solution available.
    The underlying problem is that there is no OS to enumerate drives at that
    stage of setup. We are just starting to load drivers.
    We have to rely on the bios to supply us with drives and drive letters to
    be able to access them.
    We don't have an OS to locate drives, install drivers and file systems,
    much less a way to parse the drive to locate files.
    Currently all setup knows is to locate a particular file, at particular
    locations, at the A: or B:, which are known locations and are supplied by
    the BIOS either pointing to the floppy drive or an OEM virtual device:
    896453 How to prevent virtual OEM device drivers from loading during the
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896453

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: SATA install - floppy needed - why?
    <Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:02:26 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    <======================
    <Sven wrote:
    <> Here's what I don't understand...
    <>
    <> With XP Professional x64, we are stepping into the 64-bit era, yet if
    <> you want to install the OS on a SATA harddisk, one needs... a floppy.
    <> For those of you who haven't been around all that long, floppies used
    <> to be the most popular removable media before the age of the CD-RW.
    <> ;-)
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 11, 2005
  5. Just so you know, I treasure those "Charlie is correct" messages. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 12, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U3Zlbg==?=

    Franko Guest

    Hello Darrel,

    How about the Windows Pre-Installation Environment - WinPE? Maybe USB
    support? Can you find a BIOS that does not support USB and 64bit? I'm
    curious.

    Franko American

    Franko, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Hello Frank,
    It's been awhile since I saw your name.
    Not quite sure what the question is below.
    Setup supports looking for a txtsetup.oem file on the A or B drives when
    booting from the CD.
    So you are running Winnt32.exe while in WinPE, which doesn't look for a
    txtsetup.oem file.
    After the reboot, WinPE is no longer available, you are in setup.
    So whatever drives were available in WinPE are no longer present.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Franko" <>