SATA - install cabling ? 137gb ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, May 21, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    XP SP2. I have a Maxtor drive in my PC (250gb) and just bought a new
    Seagate 300gb SATA. In my Pc, I had an extra SATA cable hanging off the
    motherboard from another drive, so I used it. In the BIOS I could see
    the drive fine but XP didn't see it at all. I had a similiar issue in my
    neice's PC last month using her cables, so I then used the SATA cable
    that came with the Seagate drive in my PC and rebooted . XP now sees
    it - and announced it after logon. I retired the other one - doesn;t
    see it ( but it worked with my current Maxtor drive. I checked around
    and saw no answer for this. I'm wondering what is different between some
    of these factory SATA cables. Isn't an SATA cable an SATA cable ?

    Also, on my ASUS a8n-E motherboard there are 4 SATA connectors .... if
    I'm using 2 of them , for efficiency does it matter ( like IDE channel)
    if I use 1+3 or 1+2 to have one drive on each channel rather than both
    on same channel ?

    Ran the Seagate Install CD and it announced that my XP didn't "fully
    support " drives over 137gb . I have an 160gb Seagate and a 250gb Maxtor
    that have worked fine for years - doesn't XP SP2 "fully support" those ?
    Any ideas about why Seagate wants to do a reg modification ?

    Thanks guys

    - Bobb -, May 21, 2007

  2. - Bobb -

    Wizard Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > XP SP2. I have a Maxtor drive in my PC (250gb) and just bought a new
    > Seagate 300gb SATA. In my Pc, I had an extra SATA cable hanging off the
    > motherboard from another drive, so I used it. In the BIOS I could see
    > the drive fine but XP didn't see it at all.

    Xp shouldn't see the drive without a partition on it as in a new drive.
    Go to Administrative Tools/Computer Managemaent/Disc Management/ and
    your new drive will be there.

    Wizard, May 22, 2007