    connections, I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA - IDE
    adaptor so I can use it with some old IDE hard drives I have.

    Cheers

    The One, Dec 17, 2004

  2. The One

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in news:41c36e99_4@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

    > I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA - IDE

    Look harder. They are sold in CompUSA, Best Buy, etc, as well as online
    vendors like newegg.com

    Jim Berwick, Dec 18, 2004

  3. The One

    Robert Baer Guest

    The One wrote:

    > Hi I need to install a couple of new hard drives to my computer for storage,
    > however my IDE slots are all filled up. My motherboard supports SATA
    > connections, I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA - IDE
    > adaptor so I can use it with some old IDE hard drives I have.
    >
    > Cheers

    I have seen no converters and do not think they would be made.
    Why? Because "everyone" that has SATA capability also has IDE
    capability and so the sales volume would be too low for a decent ROI.
    For SATA type drives, look in PriceWatch.
    For neat useage of multiple IDE drives, and use of spare ones for COPY
    (ie: *B*A*C*K*U*P*), get and install (in all slots for your filled
    computer) removeable HD kits.
    Get extras for those drives still sitting around, so that they can be
    mounted in the carriers; allowing them to be interchanged for *BACKUP*
    copying at minimum.
    ALWAYS BACKUP.
    Making an exact or full copy (use Ghost or DriveCopy) will save yu
    lost data and daze of time re-building a drive from scratch.
    If the copy is made once per week, then the most that can be lost is a
    week's worth of new personal data. That week is for example only; alter
    according to useage.

    Robert Baer, Dec 18, 2004
  4. The One

    Thor Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > The One wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi I need to install a couple of new hard drives to my computer for
    >> storage,
    >> however my IDE slots are all filled up. My motherboard supports SATA
    >> connections, I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA -
    >> IDE
    >> adaptor so I can use it with some old IDE hard drives I have.
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > I have seen no converters and do not think they would be made.
    > Why? Because "everyone" that has SATA capability also has IDE
    > capability and so the sales volume would be too low for a decent ROI.
    > For SATA type drives, look in PriceWatch.

    Robert, here are a couple such converters

    http://tekgems.com/Products/MJ-SATA-ST-101L.htm

    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=927&sku=10153

    They can be useful in certain situations like that of the OP, particularly
    if you have one of the newest motherboards that only have a single IDE
    channel in conjunction with SATA controllers. If you have an existing PATA
    drive you want to use along with a couple of optical drives, or other IDE
    devices, then you can end up short on connections. These little adapters
    came out as soon as the first SATA controller cards hit the market a couple
    years ago.

    Thor, Dec 18, 2004
  5. The One

    The One Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> The One wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi I need to install a couple of new hard drives to my computer for
    >>> storage,
    >>> however my IDE slots are all filled up. My motherboard supports SATA
    >>> connections, I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA -
    >>> IDE
    >>> adaptor so I can use it with some old IDE hard drives I have.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> I have seen no converters and do not think they would be made.
    >> Why? Because "everyone" that has SATA capability also has IDE
    >> capability and so the sales volume would be too low for a decent ROI.
    >> For SATA type drives, look in PriceWatch.

    > Robert, here are a couple such converters
    >
    > http://tekgems.com/Products/MJ-SATA-ST-101L.htm
    >
    > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=927&sku=10153
    >

    > They can be useful in certain situations like that of the OP, particularly
    > if you have one of the newest motherboards that only have a single IDE
    > channel in conjunction with SATA controllers. If you have an existing PATA
    > drive you want to use along with a couple of optical drives, or other IDE
    > devices, then you can end up short on connections. These little adapters
    > came out as soon as the first SATA controller cards hit the market a
    > couple years ago.

    Thats excellent thank-you.

    The One, Dec 18, 2004
  6. The One

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > The One wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hi I need to install a couple of new hard drives to my computer for
    > >> storage,
    > >> however my IDE slots are all filled up. My motherboard supports SATA
    > >> connections, I havent seen them advertised anywhere but can I buy SATA -
    > >> IDE
    > >> adaptor so I can use it with some old IDE hard drives I have.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers

    > > I have seen no converters and do not think they would be made.
    > > Why? Because "everyone" that has SATA capability also has IDE
    > > capability and so the sales volume would be too low for a decent ROI.
    > > For SATA type drives, look in PriceWatch.

    > Robert, here are a couple such converters
    >
    > http://tekgems.com/Products/MJ-SATA-ST-101L.htm
    >
    > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=927&sku=10153
    >
    > They can be useful in certain situations like that of the OP, particularly
    > if you have one of the newest motherboards that only have a single IDE
    > channel in conjunction with SATA controllers. If you have an existing PATA
    > drive you want to use along with a couple of optical drives, or other IDE
    > devices, then you can end up short on connections. These little adapters
    > came out as soon as the first SATA controller cards hit the market a couple
    > years ago.

    Then i guess that the converter is real cheap to make, in the order of
    a few dollars.

    Robert Baer, Dec 19, 2004
  7. The One

    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    >> > I have seen no converters and do not think they would be made.
    >> > Why? Because "everyone" that has SATA capability also has IDE
    >> > capability and so the sales volume would be too low for a decent ROI.
    >> > For SATA type drives, look in PriceWatch.

    >> Robert, here are a couple such converters
    >>
    >> http://tekgems.com/Products/MJ-SATA-ST-101L.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=927&sku=10153
    >>
    >> They can be useful in certain situations like that of the OP,
    >> particularly
    >> if you have one of the newest motherboards that only have a single IDE
    >> channel in conjunction with SATA controllers. If you have an existing
    >> PATA
    >> drive you want to use along with a couple of optical drives, or other IDE
    >> devices, then you can end up short on connections. These little adapters
    >> came out as soon as the first SATA controller cards hit the market a
    >> couple
    >> years ago.

    > Then i guess that the converter is real cheap to make, in the order of
    > a few dollars.

    not much to them actually. It owes to the backward compatibility with ATA
    command structure in order for SATA to be fully compatible with the ATA
    storage drivers in windows, I would surmise. The largest difference is
    really just in the method used to get the data piped over the cabling. This
    is easily adapted with the little converter board.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2004
  8. The One

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Thor wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message

    > >> Robert, here are a couple such converters
    > >>
    > >> http://tekgems.com/Products/MJ-SATA-ST-101L.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=927&sku=10153
    > >>
    > >> They can be useful in certain situations like that of the OP,
    > >> particularly
    > >> if you have one of the newest motherboards that only have a single IDE
    > >> channel in conjunction with SATA controllers. If you have an existing
    > >> PATA
    > >> drive you want to use along with a couple of optical drives, or other IDE
    > >> devices, then you can end up short on connections. These little adapters
    > >> came out as soon as the first SATA controller cards hit the market a
    > >> couple
    > >> years ago.

    > > Then i guess that the converter is real cheap to make, in the order of
    > > a few dollars.

    > not much to them actually. It owes to the backward compatibility with ATA
    > command structure in order for SATA to be fully compatible with the ATA
    > storage drivers in windows, I would surmise. The largest difference is
    > really just in the method used to get the data piped over the cabling. This
    > is easily adapted with the little converter board.

    I saw the pictures; the first refernce shows a board and the second
    one is different due to the enclosure.
    Seeing the PCB, it seems my guess is not too far off.

    Robert Baer, Dec 20, 2004