    motherboard had 2 available SATA ports) of my motherboard. Each time
    BIOS could found the HDD drive.

    Was my SATA dead ? If no, how could I make XP to discover it again ?
    goo_lu1, Aug 20, 2007

  2. goo_lu1

    DL Guest

    What does Disk Management show?

    DL, Aug 20, 2007

  3. goo_lu1

    goo_lu1 Guest

    On 8 20 , 10 53 , "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
    > What does Disk Management show?
    >
    > "goo_lu1" <> wrote in message

    > > Yesterday night, my house RCD tripped while I'm uploading file to
    > > internet. After recovered PC power, I found that my SATA HDD
    > > disappeared from windows HDD list - other 2 IDE HDD, FDD, DVD drives &
    > > movable drive remained. I opened device manager, selected drives icon
    > > and right clicked on it then forced it to scan for hardware change.
    > > Device manager didn't found the SATA drive.

    > > However, every time I rebooted the PC, BIOS reported existence of the
    > > SATA HDD. I tried connect that SATA HDD to SATA0 then 1 (my gigabyte
    > > motherboard had 2 available SATA ports) of my motherboard. Each time
    > > BIOS could found the HDD drive.

    > > Was my SATA dead ? If no, how could I make XP to discover it again ?- -

    > - -

    It showed 2 HDD (2 partitions each), 1 removable drive, 1 DVD drive.
    goo_lu1, Aug 20, 2007
  4. goo_lu1

    goo_lu1 Guest

    On 8 21 , 12 31 , goo_lu1 <> wrote:
    > On 8 20 , 10 53 , "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
    >

    > > What does Disk Management show?

    > > "goo_lu1" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yesterday night, my house RCD tripped while I'm uploading file to
    > > > internet. After recovered PC power, I found that my SATA HDD
    > > > disappeared from windows HDD list - other 2 IDE HDD, FDD, DVD drives &
    > > > movable drive remained. I opened device manager, selected drives icon
    > > > and right clicked on it then forced it to scan for hardware change.
    > > > Device manager didn't found the SATA drive.

    > > > However, every time I rebooted the PC, BIOS reported existence of the
    > > > SATA HDD. I tried connect that SATA HDD to SATA0 then 1 (my gigabyte
    > > > motherboard had 2 available SATA ports) of my motherboard. Each time
    > > > BIOS could found the HDD drive.

    > > > Was my SATA dead ? If no, how could I make XP to discover it again ?- -

    > > - -

    > It showed 2 HDD (2 partitions each), 1 removable drive, 1 DVD drive.- -
    >
    > - -

    The 2 HDD showed were IDE HDD, no SATA HDD found.
    goo_lu1, Aug 20, 2007
  5. goo_lu1

    DL Guest

    Try checking the bios settings that are relevent to the sata controler

    Your sata hd manu should have a disk checking utility available on their
    site

    DL, Aug 20, 2007
  6. goo_lu1

    goo_lu1 Guest

    On 8 21 , 1 32 , "DL" <address@invalid> wrote:
    > Try checking the bios settings that are relevent to the sata controler
    >
    > Your sata hd manu should have a disk checking utility available on their
    > site
    >
    > "goo_lu1" <> wrote in message

    > >> It showed 2 HDD (2 partitions each), 1 removable drive, 1 DVD
    > >> -

    > >> - -

    > > The 2 HDD showed were IDE HDD, no SATA HDD found.- -

    > - -

    I only found below information from motherboard manual:

    Question 11: How to set in the BIOS in order to bootup from SATA HDDs
    by either RAID or ATA
    mode?
    Answer: Please set in the BIOS as follow:
    1. Advanced BIOS features--> SATA/RAID/SCSI boot order: "SATA"
    2. Advanced BIOS features--> First boot device: "SCSI"
    3. Integrated Peripherals--> Onboard H/W Serial ATA: "enable"
    Then it depends on the SATA mode that you need to set "RAID" to RAID
    mode or "BASE" to
    normal ATA mode in the item named Serial ATA function.

    Question 12:For the M/B which have RAID function, how to set in the
    BIOS in order to bootup
    from IDE3, 4 by either RAID or ATA mode?
    Answer:please set in the BIOS as follow:
    1. Advanced BIOS features-->(SATA)/RAID/SCSI boot order: "SATA"
    2. Advanced BIOS features--> First boot device: "SCSI"
    3. Integrated Peripherals--> Onboard H/W ATA/RAID: "enable"
    Then it depends on the RAID mode that you need to set "RAID" to RAID
    mode or "ATA" to
    normal ATA mode in the item named RAID controller function.

    Question 13:How to set in the BIOS to bootup from the IDE/ SCSI/ RAID
    card ?
    Answer:please set in the BIOS as follow:
    1. Advanced BIOS features-->(SATA)/RAID/SCSI boot order: "SCSI"
    2. Advanced BIOS features--> First boot device: "SCSI"
    Then it depends on the mode(RAID or ATA) that you need to set in RAID/
    SCSI BIOS.

    My PC settings were below:

    Advanced BIOS features-->boot order
    1. Floppy
    2. HDD
    3. CDROM

    Sis Serial ATA Controller [Enabled] (available options: Enabled or
    Disabled)
    Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] (available options: IDE or RAID)

    I think I had set what I could set in BIOS. I remembered the HDD box
    set didn't come with any configuration software. But I will try find
    more information from Western Digital web site.
    goo_lu1, Aug 21, 2007