    The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
    MB is an XFX 680i LT.

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    JoeBlo, Jun 10, 2007

  2. JoeBlo

    Guest

    "JoeBlo" <> wrote:

    >I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable drive
    >in the system tray.
    >
    >Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
    >
    >The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
    >MB is an XFX 680i LT.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Odd for sure, try this
    In Explorer, right click on C:\ drive, Properties, Hardware Tab,
    Double click on your Drive, Policies.

    See if it's set for quick removal, and if you can change it from
    there.
    --

    Undercover cop who pulls gun during a road rage incident
    learns about the second amendment.

  3. On 09 Jun 2007 JoeBlo wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable
    > drive in the system tray.
    >
    > Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
    >
    > The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
    > MB is an XFX 680i LT.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Western Digital drives die so fast they are now considered removable just
    like a floppy is. :)

    --
    D?
    Yorkshire Pete
    Yorkshire Pete, Jun 10, 2007
  4. JoeBlo

    Fred Guest

    JoeBlo wrote:
    > I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a
    > removable drive in the system tray.
    >
    > Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
    >
    > The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
    > MB is an XFX 680i LT.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    I believe that's what happens when you use the NVIDIA drivers for the drive
    controller.
    Probably because it's part of the SATA spec that they are supposed to be
    hot-swappable.
    If it bothers you try changing to the Microsoft driver.
    I don't think there will be a performance hit but it's easy enough to run
    some benchmarks before and after to be sure.
    Fred, Jun 10, 2007
  5. JoeBlo

    old man Guest

    Its a design feature of your chipset, as sata is designed to be hot
    swapable.
    Since you cannot eject the o/s drive it doesnt really matter & there is
    nothing to fix

    old man, Jun 10, 2007
  6. JoeBlo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 04:43:16 +0000, Yorkshire Pete wrote:

    > On 09 Jun 2007 JoeBlo wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    >> I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable
    >> drive in the system tray.
    >>
    >> Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
    >>
    >> The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
    >> MB is an XFX 680i LT.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >>

    > Western Digital drives die so fast they are now considered removable just
    > like a floppy is. :)

    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAh!
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog