SATA HD Compatibility With An Old IDE Drive ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Presently have a 5 yr old PC to which I have
    added a second Maxtor IDE drive to it some time back.

    Have no idea what type of IDE drive I added, as it was so long ago.

    Expect to buy a new PC and place this second HD which is in my present
    unit into the new one as a Slave D: unit. That way I can easily transfer
    all my old files (but not any programs).

    Have just learned that the PC I am thinking of ordering ucome with a SATA
    drive.

    Will my old IDE HD work with, and be recognized and be compatible with a PC
    that has SATA drive
    as the primary C: one ?

    Also, same cables and connectors ?

    Thanks,

    Robert11, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Okay, Your Old hard drive uses a flat grey cable to hook to your
    motherboard. Just about any computer build in the next 10-15 years will
    support IDE hard drives. As for the cables. SATA uses a different cable, to
    hook to the drive and to the motherboard as well as a power cable.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Robert11

    SueNet Guest

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:35:10 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Presently have a 5 yr old PC to which I have added a second Maxtor IDE
    > drive to it some time back.
    >
    > Have no idea what type of IDE drive I added, as it was so long ago.
    >
    > Expect to buy a new PC and place this second HD which is in my present
    > unit into the new one as a Slave D: unit. That way I can easily transfer
    > all my old files (but not any programs).
    >
    > Have just learned that the PC I am thinking of ordering ucome with a SATA
    > drive.
    >
    > Will my old IDE HD work with, and be recognized and be compatible with a
    > PC that has SATA drive
    > as the primary C: one ?
    >
    > Also, same cables and connectors ?
    >
    > Thanks,

    PATA and SATA have different cables and connections. But any PC I've ever
    seen inclusing my own that had a SATA drive configuration had a PATA
    controller also. Just add your PATA drive and cable and you'll be just
    fine.

    SueNet, Nov 7, 2004