    What are the advantages of using the 15-pin as opposed to the 4-pin?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff L, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Jeff L wrote:

    > I have a Maxtor SATA 160GB hard drive, and the documentation explains
    > that the drive may be powered by either the 15-pin SATA power
    > connector (that only few power supplies have), or the legacy 4-pin
    > standard power connector.

    > What are the advantages of using the 15-pin as opposed to the 4-pin?

    I tossed a new PS in the box, last month, and it[1] had a few different
    connectors than what I'd seen, before. I think one of them is for a
    blender or coffee maker. <g> My question is this: what the heck does a
    *power* feed need 15 lines for?

    [1] Antec TruePower 480W

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Jeff L

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:46:58 GMT, Jeff L wrote:

    >I have a Maxtor SATA 160GB hard drive, and the documentation explains
    >that the drive may be powered by either the 15-pin SATA power
    >connector (that only few power supplies have), or the legacy 4-pin
    >standard power connector.
    >
    >What are the advantages of using the 15-pin as opposed to the 4-pin?

    Does it matter? Without getting into paired gnd returns next to power?
    Low power / portable, the legacy connector only has 5/12V and not 3.3.

    Check the SATA docs at Maxtor and specs at http://www.serialata.org/

    Me

    why?, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Jeff L

    why? Guest

    On 4 Oct 2003 19:05:03 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Jeff L wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Maxtor SATA 160GB hard drive, and the documentation explains
    >> that the drive may be powered by either the 15-pin SATA power
    >> connector (that only few power supplies have), or the legacy 4-pin
    >> standard power connector.

    >> What are the advantages of using the 15-pin as opposed to the 4-pin?

    <snip>
    >blender or coffee maker. <g> My question is this: what the heck does a
    >*power* feed need 15 lines for?

    http://www.serialata.org/collateral/zipdownloads/serialata10a.ZIP
    2.6MB

    3x3.3V (portables) , 5xGND , 3x12V , 3x5V and reserved. Some of these
    are called 1st / 2nd mate.

    I guess by looking at the different length pins / GNDs 1st mate there is
    an initial gnd connect on cable insertion and an initial voltage (the
    pre-charge) 2nd mate.

    Doh!! See pg47 of the PDF from the URL

    Me

    why?, Oct 4, 2003
  5. why? wrote:

    > On 4 Oct 2003 19:05:03 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>Jeff L wrote:

    >>> I have a Maxtor SATA 160GB hard drive, and the documentation explains
    >>> that the drive may be powered by either the 15-pin SATA power
    >>> connector (that only few power supplies have), or the legacy 4-pin
    >>> standard power connector.

    >>> What are the advantages of using the 15-pin as opposed to the 4-pin?

    ><snip>
    >>blender or coffee maker. <g> My question is this: what the heck does a
    >>*power* feed need 15 lines for?

    > http://www.serialata.org/collateral/zipdownloads/serialata10a.ZIP
    > 2.6MB

    > 3x3.3V (portables) , 5xGND , 3x12V , 3x5V and reserved. Some of these
    > are called 1st / 2nd mate.

    Interesting re the portables. I have one, but I don't "think laptop"
    when I'm thinking about drives for my desktop.

    > I guess by looking at the different length pins / GNDs 1st mate there is
    > an initial gnd connect on cable insertion and an initial voltage (the
    > pre-charge) 2nd mate.

    Thanks. Makes sense.

    With all those 1st and 2nd mates in there, it sounds like you're either
    Navy or Australian. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 5, 2003