    experience/suggestions?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 18, 2004

  2. thing

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:55:05 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Looking for drives to run video editing off.
    >
    >Drives around the 160 Gig mark I think, long warrantee, quiet as
    >possible, one sata interface the other std eide at100/133 interface
    >drive (its going in a ext firewire case for an Imac, what offers the
    >best performance and where to get?
    >
    >Kinda looking at the Seagate drives at the moment, principly because of
    >the 3 year warrantee and low noise.
    >
    >The other option for the firewire one is to get a ext drive ready made
    >in a case, has to be firewire and mac compatible....
    >
    >experience/suggestions?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    The WD Caviar Special Edition has an 8meg cache and a 3 Year Warranty
    $180.00 ex Gst, only ATA 100 though.

    Bret, Sep 18, 2004

  3. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:16:21 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:55:05 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >
    >>Looking for drives to run video editing off.
    >>
    >>Drives around the 160 Gig mark I think, long warrantee, quiet as
    >>possible, one sata interface the other std eide at100/133 interface
    >>drive (its going in a ext firewire case for an Imac, what offers the
    >>best performance and where to get?
    >>
    >>Kinda looking at the Seagate drives at the moment, principly because of
    >>the 3 year warrantee and low noise.
    >>
    >>The other option for the firewire one is to get a ext drive ready made
    >>in a case, has to be firewire and mac compatible....
    >>
    >>experience/suggestions?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    >The WD Caviar Special Edition has an 8meg cache and a 3 Year Warranty
    >$180.00 ex Gst, only ATA 100 though.

    And the Seacrate has 5 years,,,,

    Karen Parker, Sep 18, 2004
  4. thing

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:03:09 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:16:21 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:55:05 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looking for drives to run video editing off.
    >>>
    >>>Drives around the 160 Gig mark I think, long warrantee, quiet as
    >>>possible, one sata interface the other std eide at100/133 interface
    >>>drive (its going in a ext firewire case for an Imac, what offers the
    >>>best performance and where to get?
    >>>
    >>>Kinda looking at the Seagate drives at the moment, principly because of
    >>>the 3 year warrantee and low noise.
    >>>
    >>>The other option for the firewire one is to get a ext drive ready made
    >>>in a case, has to be firewire and mac compatible....
    >>>
    >>>experience/suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >>The WD Caviar Special Edition has an 8meg cache and a 3 Year Warranty
    >>$180.00 ex Gst, only ATA 100 though.

    >And the Seacrate has 5 years,,,,

    And $190 at PP I see.

    Bret, Sep 18, 2004
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:03:09 +1200, Karen Parker
    > < wrote:

    >>>The WD Caviar Special Edition has an 8meg cache and a 3 Year Warranty
    >>>$180.00 ex Gst, only ATA 100 though.

    >>And the Seacrate has 5 years,,,,

    > And $190 at PP I see.

    Im off pp at the moment, too hard to dela with, ascent seem way easier.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 18, 2004
  6. thing

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:24:51 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:03:09 +1200, Karen Parker
    >> < wrote:

    >>>And the Seacrate has 5 years,,,,

    >> And $190 at PP I see.

    >Im off pp at the moment, too hard to dela with, ascent seem way easier.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    How are they price wise Thing?

    Bret, Sep 18, 2004
  7. thing

    thing Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:24:51 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bret wrote:

    >>>And $190 at PP I see.

    >>Im off pp at the moment, too hard to dela with, ascent seem way easier.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > How are they price wise Thing?

    Dunno, but the odd dollar is no biggee compared with the pain of dealing
    with pp v painless ascent. plus pp's web site only seems to work
    properly in IEx, ascent works in Konq. or Mozilla, Ascent also seem more
    Linux & Mac friendly.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 18, 2004
  8. thing

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:38:34 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:

    >>>Im off pp at the moment, too hard to dela with, ascent seem way easier.
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing
    >>>

    >> How are they price wise Thing?

    >Dunno, but the odd dollar is no biggee compared with the pain of dealing
    >with pp v painless ascent. plus pp's web site only seems to work
    >properly in IEx, ascent works in Konq. or Mozilla, Ascent also seem more
    >Linux & Mac friendly.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Use PriceSpy..

    Karen Parker, Sep 18, 2004
  9. thing

    thing Guest

    Karen wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:38:34 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bret wrote:

    >>>How are they price wise Thing?

    >>Dunno, but the odd dollar is no biggee compared with the pain of dealing
    >>with pp v painless ascent. plus pp's web site only seems to work
    >>properly in IEx, ascent works in Konq. or Mozilla, Ascent also seem more
    >>Linux & Mac friendly.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > Use PriceSpy..

    I do.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 18, 2004
  10. thing

    GraB Guest

    >Dunno, but the odd dollar is no biggee compared with the pain of dealing
    >with pp v painless ascent. plus pp's web site only seems to work
    >properly in IEx, ascent works in Konq. or Mozilla, Ascent also seem more
    >Linux & Mac friendly.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I have had no trouble at all with PP in Opera or Firefox! I never use
    IE.

    GraB, Sep 18, 2004
  11. thing

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:55:05 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Looking for drives to run video editing off.
    >
    >Drives around the 160 Gig mark I think, long warrantee, quiet as
    >possible, one sata interface the other std eide at100/133 interface
    >drive (its going in a ext firewire case for an Imac, what offers the
    >best performance and where to get?
    >
    >Kinda looking at the Seagate drives at the moment, principly because of
    >the 3 year warrantee and low noise.
    >
    >The other option for the firewire one is to get a ext drive ready made
    >in a case, has to be firewire and mac compatible....
    >
    >experience/suggestions?
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    The 160Gig 8meg cache Samsung drive topped out in a comparison in an
    Aussie mag a few months ago. They are known to be very quiet.

    GraB, Sep 18, 2004