    help :)

    FingAZ.
    , May 11, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types, 0
    > and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the
    > other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows you
    > to use two hard drives as one?
    >
    > My second question is i have one SATA drive, but would like to add
    > another later on using the 'stack' option (if it exsists lmao) but
    > would like to know if i have to clean install both hard drives in order
    > for it to work etc?

    I think the term you're thinking of is "striping". Clean install isn't
    necessary. Some reading:
    http://www.computingondemand.com/articles/begraid/raid_part-1.shtml
    http://www.recoverdata.com/raidfaq.htm
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 11, 2005

  3. mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mused:

    | Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types,
    | 0 and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the
    | other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows
    | you to use two hard drives as one?

    It is controller dependant. Most consumer RAID controllers only
    offer RAID0 (striping) or RAID1 (mirroring). But, there are many more
    RAID configurations that combine various amounts of striping and
    mirrroring in a single array.

    | My second question is i have one SATA drive, but would like to add
    | another later on using the 'stack' option (if it exsists lmao) but
    | would like to know if i have to clean install both hard drives in
    | order for it to work etc?

    Again, it depends on the controller. But, most likely, yes.

    | Please post any info on Raid here, as all information would be a great
    | help :)

    I would recommend doing a Google search on your own for "raid
    configurations" ... It's so easy, I decided to do it for you ... took 3
    seconds ...

    http://www.google.com/search?source...LD,GGLD:2005-17,GGLD:en&q=raid configurations

    or, if the link wraps ...

    http://tinyurl.com/7mr2e
    mhicaoidh, May 11, 2005
  4. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types, 0
    > and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the
    > other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows you
    > to use two hard drives as one?
    >
    > My second question is i have one SATA drive, but would like to add
    > another later on using the 'stack' option (if it exsists lmao) but
    > would like to know if i have to clean install both hard drives in order
    > for it to work etc?
    >
    > Please post any info on Raid here, as all information would be a great
    > help :)
    >
    > FingAZ.

    You may wish to reconsider the mirroring option. Check this out:

    Quote: "The “benefits” of Raid 0: “If you haven't gotten the hint by
    now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a
    RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases
    are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a
    halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it
    on the desktop.”"

    http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101
    SgtMinor, May 11, 2005
  5. why? Guest

    On 11 May 2005 06:32:06 -0700, wrote:

    >Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types, 0
    >and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the

    There are more than 2, although that's 4 HD's and above.

    1 of the often posted links in 24HSHD
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/index.htm

    Not mirror RAID 1 is RAID 0.

    >other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows you
    >to use two hard drives as one?

    You do that and loss of 1 disk / volume errors you lose everything.

    >My second question is i have one SATA drive, but would like to add
    >another later on using the 'stack' option (if it exsists lmao) but
    >would like to know if i have to clean install both hard drives in order
    >for it to work etc?

    No, never had to yet. Although they have always been spares already
    blank :)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?

    >FingAZ.

    Me
    why?, May 11, 2005
  6. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types,
    > 0 and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the
    > other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows
    > you to use two hard drives as one?

    Striping...but unless you have some real need for it - which is highly
    doubtful - you would be better off not using it as if *EITHER* drive
    goes belly up *ALL* the data on *BOTH* drives is gone.

    You'd be better off not using RAID at all...just use each drive as a
    separate HD.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, May 11, 2005
  7. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Firstly, what are my raid options? As far as i kow there are 2 types, 0
    >and 1, of which i DONT want the one that does mirroring. I think the
    >other one is stack? or something and correct me if im wrong, allows you
    >to use two hard drives as one?
    >
    >My second question is i have one SATA drive, but would like to add
    >another later on using the 'stack' option (if it exsists lmao) but
    >would like to know if i have to clean install both hard drives in order
    >for it to work etc?
    >
    >Please post any info on Raid here, as all information would be a great
    >help :)
    >
    >FingAZ.

    In my opinion, RAID has very little place or value for home or small
    business computers, and it is an extremely poor choice for the boot or
    operating system drive.

    RAID was developed for use in servers, where mission critical database
    information must be available 24/7 with zero downtime. Data
    availability in these instances takes precedence over cost and
    performance factors.

    The name RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks and the
    design concept allows for any disk in the array to fail and to be
    replaced and its contents recreated without disrupting normal
    operations.

    The data redundancies inherent in a RAID design (basically every piece
    of data is stored at least twice on separate physical drives) means
    that the drive space utilization is much less efficient and there is
    usually little or no performance benefits from a RAID configuration
    compared to stand-alone single drives.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP