    add this drive to my system, have it perform as C drive and boot XP
    from it without having to mess about with RAID and such like?
    Are there any known issues I should be aware of?

    Paul Eden, May 7, 2004

  2. Paul Eden

    why? Guest

    On 7 May 2004 04:38:27 -0700, Paul Eden wrote:

    Subject - do I *need* it?

    >I'm thinking of splashing out on a SATA drive for my system (A7N8X-E
    >Deluxe motherboard) and am little confused.
    >There's much talk about RAID, which I don't want/need. Can I simply

    Now you say you don't want it (RAID).

    It's easier if you post a URL to the mobo manual, saves having to search
    for one. So it's an ASUS board and there are 2 versions E1465/E1322 of
    the manual
    http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-E Deluxe

    Mobo manual - Chapter 4 boot options the SATA should be a SCSI detected
    device, so you set that as the boot device.

    Also this newsgroup.
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    Looks like it will work.

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,590 English pages for A7N8X-e sata boot. (0.23
    seconds)

    ABXZone.com Forums Archive - A7N8X-E Deluxe SATA Problem
    .... I want to make the SATA as the boot drive. Suggestions please.
    A7N8X-E Delux Athlon XP 2800+ 2x512 Kingston PC2700 (running dual
    channel) Win XP Professional ...
    www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-70423.html - 14k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Build Your Own PC Message Forums - SATA HD Question
    .... HDD0] Third Boot Device.....CDROM] Boot Other Device ... oc'd to
    XP3200/Aero 7+, A7N8X-E-Deluxe Rev2 ... FX5600XT 256mb, DiamondMax Plus9
    80Gb SATA, Antec TrueBlue ...
    www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1659 - 35k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    >add this drive to my system, have it perform as C drive and boot XP
    >from it without having to mess about with RAID and such like?
    >Are there any known issues I should be aware of?

    See the google search....

    Me

    why?, May 7, 2004

  3. Paul Eden

    Paul Eden Guest

    > On 7 May 2004 04:38:27 -0700, Paul Eden wrote:
    >
    > Subject - do I *need* it?
    >
    > >I'm thinking of splashing out on a SATA drive for my system (A7N8X-E
    > >Deluxe motherboard) and am little confused.
    > >There's much talk about RAID, which I don't want/need. Can I simply

    > Now you say you don't want it (RAID).
    >
    > It's easier if you post a URL to the mobo manual, saves having to search
    > for one. So it's an ASUS board and there are 2 versions E1465/E1322 of
    > the manual
    > http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-E Deluxe
    >
    > Mobo manual - Chapter 4 boot options the SATA should be a SCSI detected
    > device, so you set that as the boot device.
    >

    > Also this newsgroup.
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
    >
    > Looks like it will work.
    >
    > www.google.com
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,590 English pages for A7N8X-e sata boot. (0.23
    > seconds)
    >
    > ABXZone.com Forums Archive - A7N8X-E Deluxe SATA Problem
    > ... I want to make the SATA as the boot drive. Suggestions please.
    > A7N8X-E Delux Athlon XP 2800+ 2x512 Kingston PC2700 (running dual
    > channel) Win XP Professional ...
    > www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-70423.html - 14k - Cached - Similar
    > pages
    >
    > Build Your Own PC Message Forums - SATA HD Question
    > ... HDD0] Third Boot Device.....CDROM] Boot Other Device ... oc'd to
    > XP3200/Aero 7+, A7N8X-E-Deluxe Rev2 ... FX5600XT 256mb, DiamondMax Plus9
    > 80Gb SATA, Antec TrueBlue ...
    > www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1659 - 35k - Cached -
    > Similar pages
    >

    > >add this drive to my system, have it perform as C drive and boot XP
    > >from it without having to mess about with RAID and such like?
    > >Are there any known issues I should be aware of?

    > See the google search....
    >
    > Me

    Thanks for that.
    In my defence, I did do a Google search, but am rather unfamiliar with some
    of this stuff as the trick is often in knowing the question to ask, I didn't
    get the answers you did. :)
    Oh, and buildyourown is new to me, looks promising!
    Thanks again,

    Paul

    Paul Eden, May 8, 2004
  4. Paul Eden

    helper

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    helper, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Paul Eden

    firecodex

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    My opinion is that if you don't know if you "need" RAID, then you don't need it. The benefits are faster disk access and redundancy, but you must have 3 (preferrably 4 or 5 drives) to accomplish the speed increase and this is usually pretty costly. Not to mention that the drives themselves should be at least 7200RPM (preferrably 10000RPM) for a desktop. Additionally, you would need a good cooling system and a good RAID controller with lots of on board memory to benefit from it.

    firecodex, Jul 26, 2006