    from one...

    --
    ....scribble...scribble...scribble...
    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Nov 13, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=

    Jane C Guest

    Perhaps you could consider running Win98 in a virtual machine in Virtual PC
    instead?

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Nov 13, 2006

  3. That is a very good idea, considering! Should provide 256 colors, easily.

    Hmm. FAT16 - with a small enough partition. . .perhaps, but doubtfull. VM is
    probably better - actually I think even '98' will only support FAT16 on
    floppies, right? Or. . .putting '98' on a bootable Bernoulli drive? (If such
    exists anymore?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2006
  4. The reason I asked is I want to use Microsoft's analog Force Feedback
    Joystick in W98 because I think it is the FAT16 file system in W98 that has
    the last driver available in a Microsoft operating system for force feedback
    through a Game Port . And I don't want to pay a whole lot of cash for a new
    USB joystick . I have an analog Force Feedback Steering Wheel with a Game
    Port connection here to try too . With a Game Port/USB adapter the force
    feedback does not work , so it's back to Windows 98 and FAT16 .
    I will use an old computer that has a AGP slot instead .

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Win98 can support HD FAT16 partitions. You just have to keep them small
    enough (under 2 GB.)

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Nov 13, 2006
  6. FAT16 has nothing to do with it. 16-bit has nothing to do with it.
    Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick works just fine on Windows XP 32-bit, not
    sure about 64-bit. Drivers are already included. Whether it will work with
    new motherboards and/or 64-bit processor is another story. What kind of
    processor is it?

    Most problems with the Sidewinder Force-Feedback are hardware
    incompatibilities. There are also many games for which the FF part doesn't
    work. It either works or it doesn't. I suggest you get a modern joystick
    rather than sweating this. Or do as suggested and use a virtual machine.
    *Might* actually work, though I have my doubts.

    Gary S. Terhune, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Oh, you have all my sympathies, however, I am quite sure that the bit-width
    of the driver (16bit) has nothing to do with FAT16, the driver will work
    fine on FAT32, as long as the OS is 16bit aware.

    This will also make it co-habit with everything else on the machine a lot
    easier, but using a second machine must be the optimal solution.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Thanks, Gary. I have a frightful memory for old stuff that I don't use much
    anymore. I knew that had to be just about the 'gist' of it, but became
    unsure if that support ended with '95'? 2Gig, at that? I am surprised it was
    as much.

    Thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Old Joystick/Gameport is no longer supported after (and including) Windows XP
    x64.
    Windows XP x64 places a dummy driver so that there is no exclamation mark in
    Device Manager.
    Vista doesn't care about that so you have the usual unknown device thing
    there.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 14, 2006
  10. Thankyou for feedback , I'll try the Windows 98 compatible computer and I'll
    remove the FAT16 bit partition I made especially for the force feedback
    joystick .

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Nov 14, 2006
  11. Especially since Win9x's 512MB ram limitation means that the hardware simply
    isn;t right to multi-boot Win98 and Vista. 1GB of ram for Vista will mean
    big instabilities for Win98. 512MB for Win98 will mean perf issues with
    Vista. Catch 22. VPC 2007 is the way to go. Besides, Win98 is officially
    dead now anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2006
  12. Aren't floppies FAT12? Anyway, everybody seems to be forgetting that the
    real issue is system ram. Win98 does not work correctly with more than
    512MB of ram in the box. Vista won't work very well with only 512MB in the
    box. Solution: Virtualize Win98 and load up with system ram.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2006
  13. Talk about the tail wagging the dog! Maybe Vista is not right for your
    situation. Moving to Vista is expensive no matter how you do it.

    Don't triple boot that box. Everytime you boot into XP all of your Vista
    system restore points and all of the new "previous versions" of your files
    (new feature introduced with Vista) get wiped out. It is not a bug, it is
    an incompatibility between the Volume Shadowcopy Services drivers in XP and
    Vista. An awful lot of stuff in Vista uses VSS. You can avoid it by using
    a third party boot manager that can hide Vista from XP, but the cost of that
    software is more than a new joystick so I doubt you want to do that.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2006
  14. While I agree that Win98 ought to be used in a VM for this kind of thing,
    Win98/98SE/ME, et al, can easily be tweaked to allow them to run on a system
    with loads of RAM. Trick is to get them installed in the first place.
    Easiest thing to do is temporarily remove excess RAM.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Nov 17, 2006
  15. ...well , Windows 98 just came back to life in my house . I'm using a
    working Microsoft Force Feedback Joystick and will have a Force Feedback
    Steering wheel going too , I hope .
    I used a PCChips M810LR-H motherboard with 768MB memory and an AthlonXP
    1800 processor and I'm playing Urban Assault and I hope to play Flight
    Simulator 98 on it soon .
    ...thankyou

    =?Utf-8?B?dW13aGF0?=, Nov 18, 2006