    Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Nov 12, 2004

  2. David Preece

    thing Guest

    David Preece wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    > that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    > Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    It is going to depend on which Windows, chances are I would bet
    everything up to and prob incl XP with need that floppy.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 12, 2004

  3. David Preece

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    >Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Dave

    Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
    sort of Computer course..

    Geronimo, Nov 12, 2004
  4. David Preece

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:38:15 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    >>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Dave

    > Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
    > sort of Computer course..

    ROTFLMAO and anyone who heard your XP install saga will join in, thanks
    for that Roger.
    Look here everyone classic humour from the master.

    Bret, Nov 12, 2004
  5. David Preece

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:48:13 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:38:15 +1300, Geronimo wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >>>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    >>>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Dave

    >> Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
    >> sort of Computer course..

    >ROTFLMAO and anyone who heard your XP install saga will join in, thanks
    >for that Roger.
    >Look here everyone classic humour from the master.

    Sorry I had no saga loading XP, its the idiots here that tried to make out I
    did..

    Geronimo, Nov 12, 2004
  6. It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300 was when David Preece
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    >Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

    No, I haven't come across any. However, I was using the SATA GigaRAID
    solution which worked fine using the drivers off the CD that came with
    the motherboard.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
  7. David Preece

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "David Preece" <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    > that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    > Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

    It sounds like the mass storage driver isn't included on the Windows CD, in
    which case you will need to supply one from disk. Check the hardware
    compatability list on the MS site - though i would have thought that Linux
    people would have had no problem with delving into the OS at some depth ;)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ca...ryl3&pgn=01d09dab-1b54-4f5a-91d5-8bfeb164df9e

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Nov 12, 2004
  8. David Preece

    David Preece Guest

    Geronimo wrote:
    > Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy

    Well, isn't it kinda crap? Like, here's the PC industry trying
    desperately hard to shed it's "still derived from a 1984 IBM AT" image,
    and twenty years later I need a floppy to make something work.

    I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
    answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
    install the OS. Bag of crap.

    Dave

    David Preece, Nov 12, 2004
  9. In article <YJ%kd.1012$> in nz.comp on Fri, 12
    Nov 2004 22:52:32 +1300, David Preece <>
    says...
    > Geronimo wrote:
    > > Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy

    > Well, isn't it kinda crap? Like, here's the PC industry trying
    > desperately hard to shed it's "still derived from a 1984 IBM AT" image,
    > and twenty years later I need a floppy to make something work.
    >
    > I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
    > answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
    > install the OS. Bag of crap.

    It means that for your new hardware, the old OS release does not have the
    drivers. A HDD driver is essential if you want to be able to use that HDD
    during installation, we don't usually think about this because most HDDs
    are already compatible, but these ones aren't.

    Now as Roger says you could slipstream your drivers into the installation
    CD and no floppy would be necessary.

    Floppies are still used for a lot of things like installing Windows over
    a network and suchlike.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 12, 2004
  10. In article <9NYkd.972$>,
    David Preece <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors?

    I think there's some BIOS setting that will make your SATA look like
    PATA.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 12, 2004
  11. David Preece wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    > that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    > Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

    Yes Dave, there's no problems.

    I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NS m/board with nforce3, purchased in August.
    Originally I had moved my 2 old ATA drives from a previous computer into
    the new system and it ran fine for a couple of weeks. I then removed the
    ATA drives and dropped a new SATA Seagate 120 drive in early October.

    Powered up and installation for XP, including SP2 went perfectly sweet -
    still does and is rock solid. I don't have a floppy drive at all on my
    system, as I've never had the need for one for some time now.

    The old ATA drives got taken apart by the kids as a science experiment !
    The ATA ribbons got stripped and stretched and wrapped around some toys.
    The SATA drive is fine and is used for video editing from time to time
    too with no problems. Although a fresh clean install of XP and SP2 has
    probably helped in this.

    Hope this helps.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 12, 2004
  12. Patrick Dunford said the following on 13/11/2004 09:24:
    > In article <YJ%kd.1012$> in nz.comp on Fri, 12
    > Nov 2004 22:52:32 +1300, David Preece <>
    > says...
    >
    >>Geronimo wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy

    >>Well, isn't it kinda crap? Like, here's the PC industry trying
    >>desperately hard to shed it's "still derived from a 1984 IBM AT" image,
    >>and twenty years later I need a floppy to make something work.
    >>
    >>I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
    >>answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
    >>install the OS. Bag of crap.

    > It means that for your new hardware, the old OS release does not have the
    > drivers. A HDD driver is essential if you want to be able to use that HDD
    > during installation, we don't usually think about this because most HDDs
    > are already compatible, but these ones aren't.
    >
    > Now as Roger says you could slipstream your drivers into the installation
    > CD and no floppy would be necessary.
    >
    > Floppies are still used for a lot of things like installing Windows over
    > a network and suchlike.

    And for XP's transfer your settings and files from the old machine

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 13, 2004
  13. David Preece

    thing Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:
    > "David Preece" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
    >>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
    >>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

    > It sounds like the mass storage driver isn't included on the Windows CD, in
    > which case you will need to supply one from disk. Check the hardware
    > compatability list on the MS site - though i would have thought that Linux
    > people would have had no problem with delving into the OS at some depth ;)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ca...ryl3&pgn=01d09dab-1b54-4f5a-91d5-8bfeb164df9e

    From my boot messages the sata card is detected by default, in fact it
    delays about 20 sec for each channel as there are no drives (yet).

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 13, 2004
  14. David Preece wrote:
    > I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
    > answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
    > install the OS. Bag of crap.

    you probably should have done some study as to what was required for the
    hardware you chose.

    the manual that comes with the mobo says you need one, so does the XP
    install routine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  15. thing wrote:
    > From my boot messages the sata card is detected by default, in fact it
    > delays about 20 sec for each channel as there are no drives (yet).

    why not disable them then?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004